Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Can you get a 2014 Overland w/o wood steering wheel (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/can-you-get-a-2014-overland-w-o-wood-steering-wheel-56987.html)

not_too_shabby 03-22-2013 08:59 PM

Can you get a 2014 Overland w/o wood steering wheel
 
First Post!

I'm checking out a 2014 overland, currently have a 2008 CX-9. I'm wondering about the wood steering wheel. For those who have one, do you like the wood on the steering wheel? Can it be swapped out for one that is all leather, or even the SRT wheel?

Andoskyy 03-22-2013 09:40 PM

You could probably swap, but pay retail to do so.

The wood is amazing. As smooth as glass. The 14 wheel feels better than the 13s...its a little smaller diameter. The 13s were huge.

FAUEE 03-22-2013 11:13 PM

Re: Can you get a 2014 Overland w/o wood steering wheel
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andoskyy (Post 785978)
You could probably swap, but pay retail to do so.

The wood is amazing. As smooth as glass. The 14 wheel feels better than the 13s...its a little smaller diameter. The 13s were huge.

That was one of the things I liked about the old wheel, it was nice and meaty and felt substantial. That big thick wheel was a big a positive to me, especially after feeling how small and pathetic the wheel on the Escalades were. It felt like a cheap POS wheel and literally flexed when I torqued on it, and I'm not even a huge guy!

Skafte 03-23-2013 03:02 AM

Re: Can you get a 2014 Overland w/o wood steering wheel
 
I'm not a huge fan of wood interior, but both the steering wheel and the dark wood inlays in the doors are actually decent looking with the black interior.

celder3 03-23-2013 06:03 AM

I was worried about the wood as well. My wife has a Buick Enclave and I can't stand the wheel. It just doesn't feel right in my hands. If the limited with Lux II package would have been available I would have bought it just for that reason. However, now that I have mine, I don't mind the wood at all. I think it's because it's thicker than the Enclave's wheel and I don't notice the transition from wood to leather as much when turning.

bill_de 03-23-2013 06:49 AM

Re: Can you get a 2014 Overland w/o wood steering wheel
 
I've had vehicles with beefier wheels. But, after 300 miles I'd say the wheel on the Overland is a comfortable fit. I wouldn't order a new wheel until I gave the standard one a try.

The Evil Twin 03-23-2013 09:28 AM

Re: Can you get a 2014 Overland w/o wood steering wheel
 
I have actually considered buying the Trailhawk or Dark Burl trim pieces to put in my OL. Problem is the steering wheel cost + installation :(
I don't like the Mahogany (or whatever) trim much. However, beggars can't be choosers in the pre owned market and the GC I got was everything at a great deal. So I overlook it.

FAUEE 03-23-2013 12:58 PM

Re: Can you get a 2014 Overland w/o wood steering wheel
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by celder3 (Post 786079)
I was worried about the wood as well. My wife has a Buick Enclave and I can't stand the wheel. It just doesn't feel right in my hands. If the limited with Lux II package would have been available I would have bought it just for that reason. However, now that I have mine, I don't mind the wood at all. I think it's because it's thicker than the Enclave's wheel and I don't notice the transition from wood to leather as much when turning.

Yup. Enclave has the same thin rimmed wheel that Escalade has. It's a little thin POS that GM uses in most of the SUVs and CUVs. Really a weak point there.

not_too_shabby 03-23-2013 03:06 PM

Re: Can you get a 2014 Overland w/o wood steering wheel
 
Just drove an overland. I liked the thickness of the wheel, but didn't see the value in the wood over an all leather wheel. I didn't dislike it so much to want to swap it out, but wouldn't lose any sleep if it came with an all leather wheel like the limited.

PECo 03-23-2013 03:56 PM

Re: Can you get a 2014 Overland w/o wood steering wheel
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by not_too_shabby (Post 786421)
Just drove an overland. I liked the thickness of the wheel, but didn't see the value in the wood over an all leather wheel. I didn't dislike it so much to want to swap it out, but wouldn't lose any sleep if it came with an all leather wheel like the limited.

I would have preferred an all leather wheel on my 2012 Overland. I find the wood to be slippery.

cpa982 03-23-2013 06:47 PM

My favorite part about the Jeep is the wooden steering wheel. I would never own another automobile without a wooden steering wheel.

SW03ES 03-23-2013 08:03 PM

Re: Can you get a 2014 Overland w/o wood steering wheel
 
I also love the wooden steering wheels. Feels so nice in your hands. I bought a $5k option package on my Lexus mainly because that package had a wood/leather steering wheel.

I think once you get used to it you will like it.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community