Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Head Light washers in MY14 Overland? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/head-light-washers-in-my14-overland-57015.html)

joeyd5oh 03-23-2013 11:20 AM

Head Light washers in MY14 Overland?

Was wondering if anyone was contemplating or has any technical knowledge on how hard it would be to add head light washers on a Overland. It seems the OEM assembly can house the washers. I will probably give it a try because I am crazy like that and cannot leave well enough alone lol. I know I can get them with the Summit but I am really not a fan of it. Thanks

SnoFire 03-23-2013 11:23 AM

Re: Head Light washers in MY14 Overland?

You would have to get the equipment for it and and possible wiring, don't know if it is prewired.

bill_de 03-23-2013 11:30 AM

I think the washers come as part of the HL assembly from the supplier. So unless you can buy individual parts, it could be more costly, but easier than you think.

Post pictures when you do it, please.

joeyd5oh 03-23-2013 11:53 AM

Bill I will definitely post pics. I will even do a video showing how to do it, just in case anyone else is interested. I will be getting my Overland in about a month. I dont see it being to complicated or expensive. I just need to compare a Summit to an Overland and see the differences. Also need to see how the head lamp washers are activated in a Summit.

JTS97Z28 03-23-2013 12:31 PM

I thought the Overland had headlight washers?

Either way it wouldnt bother me if they didnt because spraying washer fluid onto the headlight in no way "washes" it. Thats just like if you sprayed your windshield with washer fluid and didnt use your wipers. It does nothing, or if anything makes it worse. Am I missing something on how headlamp washers work or something? Never understood how spraying fluild on your headlights without anything wiping it would do anything at all!

joeyd5oh 03-23-2013 12:52 PM

JTS97z28

No the Overlands do not have the washers. But to answer your question about them is that It is pretty much designed for people who live in colder climates. The Salt on the roads they put down to melt the ice builds a film on your whole car and especially on you head lights. The thicker the film on the light housing means less light transmittal for night driving. The extremely powerful spray of the washers forces of all the grime off.

ENFORCER 03-23-2013 04:50 PM

All the Export models come with the washers and they are over rated. They are activated on every 5th push of the windscreen washers and cannot be done manually.
I would think the retrofit may be a lot more complicated, as there is a different washer bottle, as there is a high pressure pump for the light washers that is separate to the windscreen ones.
Seems like a lot of effort would be required to what I would consider a novelty feature that hardly is effective.

HemiFan 03-23-2013 04:53 PM

Yeah, never got the point of the washers? Then again i live in south florida, lol.

SnoFire 03-23-2013 05:55 PM

I've seen them on Volvo's but they also came with the little wiper as well.

joeyd5oh 03-23-2013 06:22 PM

They worked great on my BMW. Maybe the jeep ones just suck lol

ENFORCER 03-23-2013 08:16 PM

Aside from removing dust, how effective can they be ?
There is only water pressure and if your headlights are covered in bugs or snow, I doubt they would do much.
I do not know why our local regulations require it, but any HID equipped vehicles must have them.

mreichmann 03-23-2013 10:54 PM

I've had then on several cars over the years, and if you live in a snowy/ urban / rural environment and drive at night they are very worthwhile. Salt and slush can reduce headlamp effectiveness tremendously.

Michael