Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   2014 Uconnect glare vs prior model (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/2014-uconnect-glare-vs-prior-model-57055.html)

ctrlbrk 03-23-2013 11:28 PM

2014 Uconnect glare vs prior model

I have a 2012 JGC Overland 4x4 V8 and like it a lot. Except for the uconnect media center, which is slow but also which I can NEVER SEE because of the glare from the sun. I often drive with the sunroof down which makes it worse.

Can anyone who has owned both models give a comparison? Is the new model based on an LED screen (higher contrast ratio)?

Jackspat2 03-24-2013 08:38 AM

Re: 2014 Uconnect glare vs prior model

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctrlbrk (Post 786700)
I have a 2012 JGC Overland 4x4 V8 and like it a lot. Except for the uconnect media center, which is slow but also which I can NEVER SEE because of the glare from the sun. I often drive with the sunroof down which makes it worse.

Can anyone who has owned both models give a comparison? Is the new model based on an LED screen (higher contrast ratio)?

I only drove a 2012 for a short time however the new uconnect light years better. It's fast. It has a few bugs but I'm expecting a software update to fix it. Glare is not an issue for me.

ctrlbrk 03-24-2013 05:57 PM

Anyone else?

FAUEE 03-24-2013 09:20 PM

I never have issues with seeing my 430N. Actually, I take that back. When I back out of my garage, and the headlights are on (screen dimmed), and the sun comes through JUST right, I can't see it. This is fixed in about 10 seconds when it turns the headlights off and goes back to full brightness.

ctrlbrk 03-24-2013 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAUEE (Post 787430)
I never have issues with seeing my 430N. Actually, I take that back. When I back out of my garage, and the headlights are on (screen dimmed), and the sun comes through JUST right, I can't see it. This is fixed in about 10 seconds when it turns the headlights off and goes back to full brightness.

Wow, I wish that were true for me. The issue is non-stop for me. When you take the weak contrast ratio, add sun glare, have the sunroof open, and then put on sunglasses, it basically means it is impossible to read the screen.

Can anyone confirm if the new Uconnect 2014 model is an LED type screen (AMOLED?) In the photos the contrast looks vastly improved, but all the photos I've seen so far look like they were not taken in direct sunlight.

Jeep_addicted 03-25-2013 09:40 AM

Are you wearing polarized sunglasses?

I usually only buy polarized sunglassess and they make it hard to read most of the displays in most of my cars.

Make sure you have the daytime brightness set as high as it can go and try another pair of sunglasses to see if they don't distort the screen.

TSollecito 03-25-2013 04:21 PM

Ctrlbrk have you messed with the interior dimmer switch? Even if you think it's set to brightest there's one more notch to go up and it will set the screen to brightest especially useful if you have glare or sun shining inside the vehicle. I would be very surprised if the screen was not bright enough on this setting.

Saudi.SRT8 03-25-2013 05:37 PM

I know that the 8.5 inch screen in the 2013 chrysler 300C is very bright...

Zero issues here, with the pano open, at noon..and i'm in the middle east (hot &sunny).

so i think the jeep being the 2nd gen of the 8.5 screens, it's going to be better

bill_de 03-25-2013 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saudi.SRT8 (Post 788107)
I know that the 8.5 inch screen in the 2013 chrysler 300C is very bright...

Zero issues here, with the pano open, at noon..and i'm in the middle east (hot &sunny).

so i think the jeep being the 2nd gen of the 8.5 screens, it's going to be better

It might be second generation uConnect, but the Nav system is a different brand.

kkreit01 03-26-2013 01:18 PM

For glare, you can try some sort of screen protector -- like for Ipad use. I'm pretty sure they make anti-reflective ones -- which you could cut down. I use protectors on both my 430Ns, but I don't think they help for glare (don't have that problem). The screen protectors do help for fingerprints, and scratches.

FAUEE 03-26-2013 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctrlbrk (Post 787436)
Wow, I wish that were true for me. The issue is non-stop for me. When you take the weak contrast ratio, add sun glare, have the sunroof open, and then put on sunglasses, it basically means it is impossible to read the screen.

Can anyone confirm if the new Uconnect 2014 model is an LED type screen (AMOLED?) In the photos the contrast looks vastly improved, but all the photos I've seen so far look like they were not taken in direct sunlight.

Nobody takes pictures of their screens in direct sunlight. I think you've probably got the brightness setting down, my 430N has quite high contrast.

That said, with my polarized sunglasses, I can move my head to a position where it blacks the screen out some. It's tough and involves leaning forward and tilting and such (found it wile trying to reach into the back).

AMOLED is a Samsung proprietary technology, so you're definitely not going to get that (also, it basically winds down to being a special LED backlight). LED is the same as LCD, just with a different source of backlighting. Standard LCDs use a normal bulb, LED displays use LEDs to backlight an LCD screen.

It's possible your unit just has a bad bulb (ie warranty issue). I drove with my roof open back in sunny South Florida and had no issues seeing the 430N, despite direct sunlight that was very intense.

jacko15 03-26-2013 07:27 PM

Speaking of Samsung AMOLED, check out this Samsung teaser of auto instrument panel AMOLED display:
삼성 아몰*드 클러스터 - SAMSUNG AMOLED CLUSTER - YouTube