Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

2014 Overland at 750 miles

9K views 55 replies 21 participants last post by  TurboWarp 
#1 · (Edited)
Well I have had it over 3 weeks now and am glad so far I have not had any major electrical issues like some on here. I have had a few minor things so far that I will list.

1. I have at least 2 minor rattles one is somewere around the map lights and the other is in the back near or in the tailgate it sounds like but it comes and goes. I though it was the spare tire which I found loose or the jack but it still seems to come and go at times.

2. The automatic headlights seem very sensitive cloud cover is enough to make them come on.

3. Every once in a while I open the drivers door and the interior lights which normally fade on don't and just come on at full brightness after 5 seconds.

4 The headlight condensation that some have mentioned I noticed once after pulling in my garage out of the cold I saw it but a couple hours later when I checked it had cleared up. I am thinking this must be normal.

5. This is not a problem just my thoughs on the transmission. Its very smooth going up through the gears but I really don't like feeling the downshifts when slowing down and at lower speed I get some engine braking through the trans that kind of annoys me. But Overall its pretty good.

I think that sums up my thoughs on it for now, I have not registered the uconnect should I wait or register now?

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm hearing a rattle close to the tailgate as well, it's only there when driving over rough concrete or areas with paving stone. I called my dealership and they just told me to bring it in, haven't had the time yet though.

I registered my uconnect the day I got it, though there are no available apps yet from what I've seen.

#4 ·
These are my issues at 500
Tail gate does not chime when car is in gear and open.
Navigation does not hear locations, pretty bad VR
Radio volume and screen froze after engine was off and door open
Climate controls go to default once and awhile
After phone call screen does not go back to navigation screen
Back button does not work on dash
All settings go to default once and awhile
Noisy squeak in center arm rest
Navigation slow to respond takes three minutes to get back to route guidance after gas station stop
Wipers do not sense rain or snow right away when car starts up.
Air height system flashes “RISING” and will not go off unless you change settings
Heated seats and steering wheel button need buttons not screen (imbedded too far) Seat is too hot. System was better on 2011 jeep.
Mirror take down lights need to stay on for 60 seconds not 5 seconds.
Had blue screen of doom when SD card and Ipod in at same time, system completely froze and went into a factory reset.
UConnect System does not pass over any files not MP3 and freezes.
No switch to un-dim mirrors
Heater controls takes up to 5 minutes to change temperature of forced air, interior temperature does not stay constant.
In Eco mode transmission sluggish

#5 ·
These are my issues at 500:
Tail gate does not chime when car is in gear and open.
Navigation does not hear locations, pretty bad VR
Radio volume and screen froze after engine was off and door open
Climate controls go to default once and awhile
After phone call screen does not go back to navigation screen
Back button does not work on dash
All settings go to default once and awhile
Noisy squeak in center arm rest
Navigation slow to respond takes three minutes to get back to route guidance after gas station stop
Wipers do not sense rain or snow right away when car starts up.
Air height system flashes “RISING” and will not go off unless you change settings
Heated seats and steering wheel button need buttons not screen (imbedded too far) Seat is too hot. System was better on 2011 jeep.
Mirror take down lights need to stay on for 60 seconds not 5 seconds.
Had blue screen of doom when SD card and Ipod in at same time, system completely froze and went into a factory reset.
UConnect System does not pass over any files not MP3 and freezes.
No switch to un-dim mirrors
Heater controls takes up to 5 minutes to change temperature of forced air, interior temperature does not stay constant.
In Eco mode transmission sluggish
Wow, that's some list !! Makes me 2nd guess wanting to place an order later this week :confused:

#15 ·
"Back Rattle"

I had that when I got my 12, after about 10 minutes of tinkering around in the back, I popped my flipper glass and noticed a bolt just lying on top of the seal. Turns out it belonged to the spoiler. I just put it back in its place, tightened the other one, it was loose too and haven't had a rattle back there since.

I know your back window can't be opened and haven't checked out that spot on a 14, so I don't know how they or where they attached the spoiler. But maybe now you can get to the spot from just opening the tailgate.

On a side, after seeing the evic and new 8 inch, I'm a little jelly of you guys.

#17 ·
I just want to say I do really like this jeep and the list of 4 or 5 things I had are just anoyances or things that need to be improved. As far as sqeaks and rattles those are quality issues and should not be present on a new 50K dollar vehicle. I have a 2011 Ford Fusion that I use for work and now has a little over 50K miles on it and it is a cheap crappy car but it doesn't have any rattles in it.

#18 ·
I just want to say I do really like this jeep and the list of 4 or 5 things I had are just anoyances or things that need to be improved. As far as sqeaks and rattles those are quality issues and should not be present on a new 50K dollar vehicle. I have a 2011 Ford Fusion that I use for work and now has a little over 50K miles on it and it is a cheap crappy car but it doesn't have any rattles in it.
I wish I could say the same about my 2010 Impala I drive for work. What a POS...

#20 ·
Im just the opposite....my wifes lexus IS250 alone was in more for warranty items than any of the three of my ChryCo's....2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2011 Durango Heat and 2013 Jeep SRT.

#22 ·
My '07 Liberty had nothing but oil changes.
My MDX had 2 nav screens and finally a whole new unit. It also got a new battery after a year. There were 2 tsb's. One was for the charging system and one for the tranny. While the tranny one was a flash update, the had the dealers change the tranny fluid.

None of it mattered to me as the dealer was less than 5 miles and only one traffic light away. And they always had a loaner car waiting.

I never had to find out about repair costs, but I just found out that my insurance went up $150 per year trading the 11 MDX for the 14 Jeep.

#23 ·
It would be less frustrating if Jeep did loaner cars. All this stuff requires them to keep it and diagnose, order parts, etc. If I could just swing by there in the morning, grab a loaner and go about my day it wouldn't be a big deal. But...every time we have to coordinate being able to share a car, and its just a royal pain.

#33 ·
It would be less frustrating if Jeep did loaner cars.
Wait a minute.....are you saying that "No" Jeep Dealers do Loaner Cars or just your Dealer ?

My wife and I both get Loaners for any service taking longer than 1 hour (Lexus and Acura). If it's close to an hour we go shopping and anything longer we keep the loaner over night. So something else I have to get use to with Jeep !!

#24 ·
I realize this is just anecdotal evidence and that Japanese have supposedly great quality, but my buddy had a corolla a while back and had nothing but problems with it. Then again, my neighbors have 5 versions of toyotas / lexuses and they have only have had problems with one of them.

As far as my family is concerned, we have always driven American, except for my moms new rx 350 ( whatever the Lexus SUV is). So the American ones were a ranger for 11 years, an explorer for 14, a Tahoe for 7 ( got stolen) a jeep for 11, another jeep from 06 (sister still drive it), and now two more jeeps (12 & 13). Out of all those cars older cars, there were only 3 issues. Explorers head unit stopped displaying time/ stations after 5 years. The rangers water pump blew after 6 years, but I was off roading it. And the jeep, well it kept stalling and was the in the shop for over a month and they couldn't figure out why, so it had to go. I see that as a pretty good track record for American cars and the length of time being owned.

What's kind of funny is when I saw the rx350 for the first time I noticed the front license plate holder is crooked. So the next time I saw it, I took it off and noticed that the drilled hole was a good 3/4s of an inch below the indent of where it should be. Also, she has two rattles coming from somewhere in the back as well. Maybe the next time I see it, I figure it out.

Fwiw, I completely agree with you that a new car shouldn't have rattles or anything wrong with them. But I feel that until robots make the entire vehicle and humans are left out of the picture, some cars will have problems and some won't.

#25 · (Edited)
I realize this is just anecdotal evidence and that Japanese have supposedly great quality, but my buddy had a corolla a while back and had nothing but problems with it. Then again, my neighbors have 5 versions of toyotas / lexuses and they have only have had problems with one of them.
Everybody's got a story, but when you look at all the reliability and dependability data its clear that the Japanese have a distinct edge in that department, thats translated into my own experience and I think an experience you see repeatedly on the board. Overall the Jeep is reliable, but there are a myriad of common small issues you just don't see in general with Toyotas, Hondas, etc.

What's kind of funny is when I saw the rx350 for the first time I noticed the front license plate holder is crooked. So the next time I saw it, I took it off and noticed that the drilled hole was a good 3/4s of an inch below the indent of where it should be.
Thats the morons at the dealership. The front plate holders are installed at the dealer.

#26 ·
Not to push the subject here but how many times in the last 5 yrs or so has Jeep had a recall compared to Toyota or Honda? I think Honda wins this and I swear I hear a Toyota recall every few months. TSB's are one thing but recalls are a bigger problem in my eyes.

#27 ·
I don't have an issue with recalls, means the manufacturer is committed to making their issues right.

I'd rather have a company recall than just sweep an issue under the rug.

#42 ·
*cough* Chevrolet *cough* C6 LS7 Z06 Engines blowing at random *cough*

#31 ·
It's a crap shoot with cars, had a Mercedes 2004 e500 with 44k for miles and the engine seized, previous car was a 2007 Escalade, exterior door handles always falling off, rear diff replaced and wind whistling noise in the interior that would force you to crank the radio. My wife however has an Infiniti M35 and has never had a problem with almost 60k on it.

#32 ·
None of that experience surprises me ;)

ChrisOC said:
While I agree that those car companies have a good reputation, I never will take those rating agencies word as law.
Obviously not, but they are a good indicator of the general level of a brand's reliability.

In my experience the big difference between the Jeep and the Toyota/Lexus vehicles I've owned before is small, random failures of switch components. Nuisance stuff. Since the poster I quoted was worried about his experience with the Jeep vs his MDX I wanted to help set his expectation. I'd buy the Jeep again, its a great vehicle but they are NOT as reliable as his MDX as an example.

#35 ·
My last 2 trips to my dealer didn't even involve me going. They came and picked it up at my work at no cost to me. And they're 35 miles away!! Great, great dealer! My salesman took care of me, and this was after he contacted me on the one year anniversary of when I bought my Overland from him, which wasn't the first time he had contacted me just to see how the Jeep was working out for me.

#38 ·
A few reviews of people having small issues that will be covered under warranty compared to others that have theirs with no issues. This is going to happen with almost every vehicle. If you need convincing, then you might as well look at the next vehicle..just my thought.

#39 ·
Yes, that makes sense.......the problem is.......I can't find a "Next Vehicle" !!

I have gone through Acura, Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Cadillac and nothing is jumping out at me. I am in Love with the Summit and can't get it out of my mind. I look at pictures of it every day and night !! Just afraid to make a mi$take I will regret.

#48 ·
The only time a failure pissed me off on the Jeep was when cruise control failed for a second time at the start of a 400 mile trip...

#52 ·
Any details on what happened? We're going to be heading to San Diego this weekend and I plan to use the cruise control. Trying to figure out what you went through so I know what to look for and expect if I have the same issue.

#53 · (Edited)
When it was new there was a periodic issue with getting the cruise control to turn on, once it was on it worked fine. We took it in and they replaced the switch module on the steering wheel. It was fine for about a year, and then on our way back from Albany after New Years it just cut off while it was activated and holding speed. That time it would not come back on the whole trip back. Took it back in and they replaced the same switch module again. So far so good...

An example of our issues over 25k miles:

-Cruise control failure X2 (repaired twice)
-Lock button on drivers door handle stopped working (repaired)
-Switch module for EVIC stopped working (repaired)
-Flipper glass button failed (repaired)
-Rear window leaks (they tried once, still leaks, minor)
-Various rattles and buzzes (most fixed, another one popped out recently from the passenger dash area)
-Drivers foglight seal failed (need to take it in)
-USB port in the armrest only works 25% of the time (need to take it in)
-Front brakes grinding (need to take it in)
-Periodic HVAC issue where blower won't run until restart (has never happened at the dealer so they cannot diagnose)

These are examples of the little annoying issues we've had that I have not had with the Toyota/Lexus products I've owned. They're all minor, but there are a lot for 1.5 years old. Theres always something that needs to be addressed by the dealer it seems.

#55 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.