Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   No pull back on low gears? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/no-pull-back-on-low-gears-57149.html)

roryh86 03-25-2013 06:13 AM

No pull back on low gears?

Hi all, I recently purchased a used 2007 Grand Cherokee 3.7L V6. This is my first time driving a Jeep and so I have no idea as to what is normal and what is not. But I did notice that when down shifting using the steptronic shifting to low gears like 3 and 2 while at moderately high speed on highway, and releasing my foot off the gas, there seems to be no pullback, the truck just continues flying forward.

Is this normal?? To my knowledge all cars in low gears especially in steptronic should pullback once gas is released. I'm hoping that its not a mechanical problem or something. I'd really appreciate if anyone driving a similar truck/engine could tell me if this experience is normal! :D

kennzz05 03-25-2013 06:53 AM

Re: No pull back on low gears?

depending on youre speed at the time the trans likely wouldnt allow it to go to a lower gear so as not too damage the trans. do you have a tach? did you see rpms increase when you downshifted that would be the way to tell if its shifting

roryh86 03-25-2013 08:48 PM

Hey kennzz, thanks for the reply. I went out and tested it again to make sure of what you said, yes it is definitely changing gear, RPM increase and obvious notice of gear shift, still however there is no pull back on release of gas. I notice you have an SRT, im sure you dont have the same problem right? How many gears do you have besides 'D'?

roryh86 03-25-2013 08:51 PM

And anyone with a 3.7L maybe shed some light? :arms:

Boomer914 03-26-2013 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roryh86 (Post 788253)
And anyone with a 3.7L maybe shed some light? :arms:

These things coast pretty good.

kennzz05 03-26-2013 09:53 AM

Its a 5 speed like yours, only low below the D selection and the rest are accomplished with autoshift (left/right tap on shifter)

4.whoa 03-26-2013 09:55 AM

I don't know much about the 3.7 does it have drive by wire? if so that's why. my hemi coasts like I'm resting my foot on the gas. I read somewhere that it keeps the throttle open a little to compensate for engine speed.

roryh86 03-27-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4.whoa (Post 788568)
I don't know much about the 3.7 does it have drive by wire?

I'm not sure what you mean by drive by wire but in 2007 (my model) they introduced electronic throttle control to the Laredo, so I guess the pedal isn't by wire if that's what you meant.

I'm not that great with mechanics to be honest, but I'm guessing maybe the coasting effect is just the way Jeep programmed their gears? Do you think or know of any tuners around that are able to maybe reconfigure the transmission/clutch to a different mode, something with less coasting? :p

Thanks for your help.

Boomer914 03-27-2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roryh86 (Post 790044)

I'm not sure what you mean by drive by wire but in 2007 (my model) they introduced electronic throttle control to the Laredo, so I guess the pedal isn't by wire if that's what you meant.

I'm not that great with mechanics to be honest, but I'm guessing maybe the coasting effect is just the way Jeep programmed their gears? Do you think or know of any tuners around that are able to maybe reconfigure the transmission/clutch to a different mode, something with less coasting? :p

Thanks for your help.

The coasting is for the mpgs

roryh86 03-27-2013 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomer914 (Post 790049)
The coasting is for the mpgs

My bad then. I meant more sturdiness or pull with foot off gas.

Boomer914 03-27-2013 07:45 PM

You mean decel?

4.whoa 03-27-2013 08:37 PM

you are wanting some engine brakeing effect. I understand, I miss it as well, if for nothing other than exhaust note :D

drive by wire means the gas pedal is a sensor and runs the motorized TB as opposed to having a cable connecting the two.