Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   When Is The next JGC complete Redesign? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/when-is-the-next-jgc-complete-redesign-57213.html)

morfred 03-26-2013 09:00 AM

When Is The next JGC complete Redesign?

Ok- I know that this is a bit premature -but... Thanks to all the great help and information on this board I just bought a 2014 JGC Laredo E yesterday. I usually trade every 2-3 model years..so.. Does anyone know when the next complete redesign is due? 2016? 2017? (good grief, I will be on Medicare by then) I want to start saving my pennies now. Thanks

SnoFire 03-26-2013 09:13 AM

Re: When Is The next JGC compltete Redesign?

2017 MY but in 2016.

FAUEE 03-26-2013 05:04 PM

Kinda funny to think that in 2 years or less everyone will be telling people not to bother with the WK2.5 because it's going to be the lame duck model and the WK3 will be so much better in every way.

My guess as to the next GC: More aluminum for less weight.

kennzz05 03-26-2013 05:35 PM

aluminum? thats so like 2013ish u mean carbon fiber and titanium lol:)

mpatel1080 03-26-2013 06:26 PM

I'm sure the next generation will have more goodies and features, but it will probably be a step backwards in terms of the platform. The WK2 uses the Mercedes platform that Chrysler got the rights to use as a part of being spun off of Daimler. This excellent platform is what gives the WK2 its smooth ride and tank like feel. I am doubtful that Fiat will be able to engineer something better.

bill_de 03-26-2013 06:36 PM

Since the left headlight and steering wheel say 'Since 1941', I hope they do something nice for the 75th anniversary. They've kind of reminded us it's coming.

capitalst 03-26-2013 07:14 PM

I agree the MB platform drives like a dream. I've test driven a lot of SUV's and the Jeep just rides the best. I'm also afraid they won't pull off a better platform comes the next GC. Time will tell..

f1anatic 03-26-2013 07:45 PM

Why is everyone mistrusting FIAT engineers ? At the end of the day, Ferrari and Maserati do belong to the FIAT group. I am yet to hear anyone saying that Ferrari cannot design a proper car. FIAT as a group, has the engineering depth that produces the world's premiere cars and if they wanted to enhance the Jeep brand, they surely have the engineering side covered.
FIAT S.p.A. - Home

capitalst 03-26-2013 08:14 PM

Hummm. A Ferrari platform under the new GC. Now that would be fun.. I take back what I said. I never thought about Ferrari and Maserati being apart of the Fiat group.

mpatel1080 03-26-2013 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f1anatic (Post 789132)
Why is everyone mistrusting FIAT engineers ? At the end of the day, Ferrari and Maserati do belong to the FIAT group. I am yet to hear anyone saying that Ferrari cannot design a proper car. FIAT as a group, has the engineering depth that produces the world's premiere cars and if they wanted to enhance the Jeep brand, they surely have the engineering side covered.
FIAT S.p.A. - Home

I doubt the ferrari engineers will be designing the powertrains for mass produced vehicles. Fiat specializes mainly in building small cars and they are pretty good at that, my doubts lie in their ability to come up with a better luxury SUV underpinning than MB came up with.

FAUEE 03-26-2013 09:53 PM

Who says they won't keep using it? It's been years since they split with MB and they're still using it...

jp467 03-26-2013 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f1anatic (Post 789132)
FIAT S.p.A. - Home

What do you mean Fiat engineers?? Chrysler has their own engineers in a very large tech center in Auburn Hills michigan. That is where the design and engineering happens. Its in fact one of the largest buildings in the United States and thats where the development takes place.