Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Cost to change the steering wheel? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/cost-to-change-the-steering-wheel-57225.html)

jgc4ever 03-26-2013 11:26 AM

Cost to change the steering wheel?

I contacted a dealer about a 2013 and about putting SRT parts in it. He said $1,500 for the steering wheel and installation alone. I told him if he wants to make a sale to go dealer cost and not charge for the install. He came back saying it's very intricate to remove the steering wheel, and includes removing the dash. So MSRP is $920 and he's trying to charge $580 for the install for just the steering wheel.

For those in the know, how much time, what cost, and what is involved in replacing the steering wheel?

I don't think I'm even going to respond to this dealer again.

jgc4ever 03-26-2013 11:43 AM

Re: Cost to change the steering wheel?

Thanks for the pm dslide.

Scottina06 03-26-2013 11:55 AM

LOL.....$1500....remove the dash? LOL

I have changed the steering wheel in my wifes Durango and it took like 20-30 minutes. Your biggest cost will be the steering wheel and airbag for the SRT. Try car-part.com for those.

Very easy to do on the 2011+ Durango and probably the same wiht the Jeep ...

tools needed-----

*trim stick

*20 torx driver

*10mm socket

*10mm torx bit

FIRST---DISCONNECT the negative terminal from the battery using 10mm socket! The battery is located under the passenger seat of the durango/grandcherokee Gather tools!

2-use trim stick to pry open two small covers on each side of wheel...just to the left and right of the audio controls. Use 10mm socket to remove each bolt. Airbag will pop off.

Remove small black harness from bag. next remove two yellow harnesses from bag. Each harness plug has an orange rectangle on top....use your fingernail to pull those straight OUT. Then use some force to pull plugs straight OUT. Airbag is off!

3-use 10mm Torx bit and remove single torx bolt from center of wheel. Its takes some force to get it started! Remove backing plate from wheel as well. Next pull wheel off and switch parts and spokes over.

jgc4ever 03-26-2013 12:05 PM

Thanks Scott. This dealer (new car sales manager) also told me (in an e-mail) it sounds like I have better resources to do it myself, if I'd like to buy it, or they have a 2014 SRT coming in if I'm interested. Yea, $25,000 more, no problem. I think I'll contact my dealer who I'm happy with and see if he can trade for a 2013 Overland black/black hemi wth QDii and do these mods. I found over 10 2013s just like that in surrounding states doing a jeep.com search. I should probably just wait and hope they make a 2014 Altitude like edition based off of a Limited or Overland.

Scottina06 03-26-2013 12:08 PM

to be honest...it may be late 14' or 15' before any special editions...if any? Plus they would never use a limited or overland for special edition altitude type model. I base this off conversations with jeep engineers and designers.

Keirik 03-26-2013 12:24 PM

Yeah i imagine a laredo model makes the most sense for a special edition. Those that want a few perks but not the whole thing. Thats in essence is the point of the altitude

jgc4ever 03-26-2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 788674)
to be honest...it may be late 14' or 15' before any special editions...if any? Plus they would never use a limited or overland for special edition altitude type model. I base this off conversations with jeep engineers and designers.

But they came out with a blacked out Vapor edition for the SRT, an S-Limited Grand Cherokee in Europe, S-Limited on the WK in 2010 for the U.S. Plus, blacktop edition for Durango, not sure how high end of options can be had on that though. There's a Carhart 200C News: Chrysler 200S Special Edition launched coming out, and a blacked out john varvatos edition 300C (advertised as a refined luxury car). I'm still hopeful.

HEMI35 07-13-2013 11:44 PM

3 months late, but...
here´s an srt8 steering wheel for the ´13 wk2:
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Steering Wheel | eBay

HEMI35 07-13-2013 11:46 PM

same seller also has the srt8 seats (and console, etc):
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Seats Complete Set | eBay