Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   NAPA Leather Seats (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/napa-leather-seats-57284.html)

mjodotcom 03-27-2013 09:36 AM

NAPA Leather Seats

All,

Proud new owner of a 2012 JGC Overland here :). One thing I have noticed driving the car for a week is the NAPA leather perforated seats appear to "crease" fairly easily. Has anyone else experienced this? Is this just the nature of the beast with these seats that have lots of holes all over them?

Thanks

ms.annthrope 03-27-2013 05:20 PM

Re: NAPA Leather Seats

I don't think the center perforated portions are Nappa leather. I googled "Nappa leather" to see if it was just an empty Chrysler term like the famous "Corinthian Leather". Several sites explained that Nappa leather is chrome tanned sheepskin---and so I pulled out my Avirex Cockpit sheepskin leather bomber jacket and it sure feels similar----it's different than cow leather. I can'tr describe it; sheepskin just feels different than cow hide. The Nappa lather seats in the OVerland is "trimmed" in Nappa leather. The side bolsters on the seat and back feel like sheepskin but I don't think the center portions are. I would not be surprised if the perforated centers are vinyl! Leather trimmed can be anything as little as being just the welts so long as there is some Nappa leather somewhere.

Sorry for not being able to answer your question other than questioning whether the center portions are Nappa leather.

jgc4ever 03-27-2013 06:10 PM

Pretty sure the center portions are Nappa leather. Side bolsters (and maybe where your head rests) is what is called protein-vinyl. It's stronger than just plain old vinyl like the base Limited and Laredo X have.

mjodotcom 03-27-2013 11:41 PM

Thanks for the responses. Do either of you two have issues with easy seat creases forming on the drivers seat?

jgc4ever 03-28-2013 01:17 AM

I don't have any issues with creases after 1 year and 5 months. There are faint creases if I look for them, but that's normal.

mjodotcom 03-28-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgc4ever (Post 790286)
I don't have any issues with creases after 1 year and 5 months. There are faint creases if I look for them, but that's normal.

Weird - wonder why mine is showing some right away? Must be the way I'm sitting or something...

jgc4ever 03-28-2013 11:29 AM

What color are your seats? Mine are frost beige.

Tybalt39 03-28-2013 11:38 AM

Yes, my saddle Overland (1žyr old 2012) drivers seat is more creased than the passenger seat. I think it's just the nature of the beast. My leather sofa is very creased also (top-grain cowhide, no urethane coating).

mjodotcom 03-28-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tybalt39 (Post 790519)
Yes, my saddle Overland (1žyr old 2012) drivers seat is more creased than the passenger seat. I think it's just the nature of the beast. My leather sofa is very creased also (top-grain cowhide, no urethane coating).

Did some start showing up immediately? I have the saddle leather as well

dslide 03-28-2013 11:14 PM

I've had my Jeep for about a year and I've got a few serious creases in the drivers seat. Doesn't look horrible but I'm concerned that they'll get worse over time and eventually tear. I know I saw someone on here at one point that had the dealer replace the seat or leather because of this, and am wondering if I should do the same before my warranty expires.

Tybalt39 04-01-2013 11:10 AM

Leather generally doesn't tear like fabric or paper. It gets scuffed, scratched, gouged, marred, etc; but usually doesn't tear. That said, this leather is very thin. And perforated (IE: "tear along the dotted line"). If you see signs of unusual wear or tearing, then definitely get it taken care of.