Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f186/)
-   -   Wiring question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f186/wiring-question-57294.html)

Fattie 03-27-2013 11:44 AM

Wiring question

Hey guys. I recently updated my speakers of my jeep, and now am planning on installing a new head unit. I notice when I wired up my speakers that according to Jeep Grand Cherokee WK - Audio system pinouts I have the wiring for the premium amplified system. I know for a fact I did not have the premium speakers, and I don't see an amplifier in the back of my Jeep.
Anybody see this before?
I just want to make sure I buy the right harness adaptor to install the headunit when I do. Anything else I should check before I buy stuff?

Fattie 03-29-2013 10:51 AM

Re: Wiring question

So nobody has any clue huh?

WKYeti 03-29-2013 11:19 AM

Maybe you DO in fact have the premium sound system (which still isnt all that impressive to the ears) the amp would be located in the left rear panel. (open tailgate, left side panel. If you take a flashlight and look up into those slats that you see on that panel, you may see an amp up in there surrounded by TONS of wires. Hope this helps

Fattie 04-01-2013 09:05 AM

I don't see anything when I look in those vents. I will look again, but I am pretty damn sure I don't have an amp back there. I don't have the emblem on the speaker grill. I even have my original window sticker, and I can double check, but I am sure it doesn't say the premium sound system either.

meistro 04-02-2013 11:16 AM

Fattie what kind of head unit are you planning on purchasing? if you are going to purchase a double din touch/nav you will want to go with the Nav harness because of the additional wiring that is included in the harness. Trust me it makes things super easy

Fattie 04-02-2013 12:53 PM

As much as I would love a nice double din touch screen, the bank account wouldn't. I'm going to go with a single din Pioneer unit. Haven't decided exactly which one yet.

meistro 04-02-2013 02:00 PM

If you want to save yourself the time i would still recommend the fancy nav harness for the simplicity of installation. you wont have to tap the cigarette lighter for your remote line and if you decide to upgrade the headunit later you have everything you need to tap the parking brake circuit, reverse circuit or the other intricacies of the Nav units.

Fattie 04-03-2013 10:39 AM

Which harness is that so I make sure that I do that. I don't want to mess around with taping the cig lighter either.

meistro 04-03-2013 12:16 PM

it is the metra with nav that runs $80 ish...

Fattie 04-04-2013 07:09 PM

Ordered a Pioneer deh-7400hd from sonic electronix. They included the metra nav harness at a discounted price. Should be a nice upgrade to the stock headunit.

meistro 04-08-2013 02:16 PM

nice. IF you want to upgrade to the nav you are already set.

Fattie 04-08-2013 05:32 PM

That's what I figured. Solid headunit that should be easy to sell to upgrade later on.