Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Purchasing a Laredo trans issues (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/purchasing-a-laredo-trans-issues-57318.html)

hoffmanestates 03-27-2013 05:38 PM

Purchasing a Laredo trans issues

I am.buying. a Laredo from my boss, for $400 it had a engine put.in by a fellow mechanic, body has 200k+ motor has 140k total, well the issue it has is that when ya do a on/off freeway ramp or a sharp/brisk turn while driving it pops out of gear. I my self being a mechanic i can't figure it out besides it being a t.c or trans internally.
Any help insight input

Frango100 03-27-2013 07:44 PM

Re: Purchasing a Laredo trans issues

42RE or 5-45 RFE? Does the gearshift handle move out of its detend, or does it seems to.be in Neutral?

Frango100 03-27-2013 07:47 PM

Did you check the fluid level?

hoffmanestates 03-27-2013 08:00 PM

I haven't seen it yet but that's the word from the mechanic that put the motor in...... what if the gear selector does move what.could it be? Or what if it doesn't move but still pops out of gear? I am guessing 42re as its a I6

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Frango100 03-27-2013 08:09 PM

If the gear selector moves, the problem probably is the spring from the detent plate. With I6 it should have the 42RE. Don' t know that tranny internally, but should have the detent plate. Are you sure the fluid level is not too low, because that would cause air going into the pump and clutch/ band will release and the gear will be lost.

hoffmanestates 03-28-2013 05:37 AM

Now if lube us low. And lets say him driving this for a month or two and this happening daily, its possibly fubared inside. Ans if its the defend, great its all inside the trans.

Frango100 03-28-2013 07:35 AM

Difficult to tell what will happen. If the pressure is just a bit too low, the clutch/band can start slipping and depending for how long and how often this happens, it could wear out the clutch pack or band rapidly. The fluid color could give an indication to this, when it looks very grey or even black, due to the worn of friction material which could be in it. Also a burned smell to the fluid would be an indication to this.
Depending on the price they are asking for the jeep, it could be a nice hobby project to rebuild the tranny, if necessary:D
What also could be a problem is the adjustment of the bands, however i would expect it to be slipping driving straight as well and not only when cornering.

hoffmanestates 03-28-2013 11:58 AM

So talked to boss more and it also has a lifter tick upon start up it losses oil psi and then pops back up. So idk. He is asking $450.

hoffmanestates 03-30-2013 07:51 AM

Any one else/

Frango100 03-30-2013 03:05 PM

Depends on what you want to do with it. You could use it for the parts in the worst case:D

hoffmanestates 03-31-2013 07:59 AM

Well its for my parents. So ..... its tough i know the guy that put in the motor, but then again the rest of.the truck has 240k. Including trans rear/front diffs, t.c ect......

cheapjeep 03-31-2013 09:44 AM

I think you should drive it and see what it's really doing. It's pretty hard to tell dealing with second hand info. A couple of miles and you'd know if it was trans or tcase. Another thing is if it is an untouched 42 RE with that many miles it's a miracle it made it that long. I've never had one that made it past 180k.