Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WJ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/)
-   -   Air bag issue? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/air-bag-issue-57358.html)

JeepFreak12 03-28-2013 12:54 PM

Air bag issue?

As stated above, my airbag light keeps turning on then off randomly. It seems to only do it when it's warmer outside. Has anyone else had this problem and might have an idea what the issue is?

Frango100 03-28-2013 05:04 PM

Re: Air bag issue?

The airbag control module (ACM) is continuously monitoring the supplemental restraint system components. If it sees a fault, it will switch on the airbag indicator light and store a DTC in its internal memory. You will need a DRBIII scanner or alike to interrogate the ACM and find which component is causing the light to come on.

hoffmanestates 03-29-2013 05:18 AM

Air bag recall? Isn't it in 10 years if service from date of manufacturing it is to get looked over by dealer?

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

JeepFreak12 03-29-2013 06:01 PM

I pull no codes on my scanner. And it's just weird how it just started doing it one day. And only when it's warm out....

Frango100 03-29-2013 06:41 PM

Do you have the right scanner to scan the ACM? The normal scanners only interrogate the PCM.

JeepFreak12 03-30-2013 05:34 PM

Maybe that's why. My scanner only scans the PCM.

Frango100 03-30-2013 05:41 PM

A local garage overhere is using some kind of chinees scanner, and it can access all the different computers and run tests on them. It only couldnīt do the transmission control module Quick learn procedure for me which was necessary after the tranny rebuild. I found a tranny shop nearby which has the original Chrylser DRBIII scanner and with that one you can do all kind of things.

JeepFreak12 04-01-2013 10:48 AM

Quick question, i did some research and people are saying its the ACM thats bad so ill give it a try replacing it. But the question is, do you have to match the ACM with the airbag or can i just leave my airbags and just replace the ACM? Thanks guys.

Frango100 04-01-2013 06:19 PM

You could.just change the ACM and leave the airbag, but there are more components in the system then these two. There are also belt tensioners. A bad squib in either one of these components or a wire.problem.could already give you the light. Dont know the price of the ACM, but could you.not better scan.it somewhere then just throwing money to it without knowing the real problem? If you want to change it, it sits just behind the gear lever assy.

JeepFreak12 04-01-2013 06:51 PM

I bought a used one for $30 so I'm not to worried about wasting the money plus I'm having a problem finding a place to do the scan since I don't want to go to the stealership! Lol

Frango100 04-01-2013 07:11 PM

Take care that there are two types of ACM, with or without side curtain airbags. Also the ACM has an accelerator sensor build in, so dont drop it or handle it roughly. It could cause accidently deploying of the airbags or no deploying when needed. Disconnect the battery and wait half an hour before attempting any maintenance on the airbag system. Seems that there is a capacitor inside the ACM which still can/ will deploy the airbags with the battery disconnected after some time.

jlode675 04-01-2013 08:05 PM

bad clockspring