Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Rental Score...a JGC (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/rental-score-a-jgc-57362.html)

Jim_in_PA 03-28-2013 01:41 PM

Rental Score...a JGC

1 Attachment(s)
I had to be in Birmingham AL earlier in the week for business meetings and when I arrived at the airport, the nice gentleman at Budget tried to cheerfully award me with...a Mustang. I gave him "the look" and indicated I really needed four doors per my reservation--you know, customers and all that. He paused for a moment, looked around realizing he only had about six Mustangs and one vehicle with four doors left. "I guess I'll have to upgrade you to that Grand Cherokee over there." Peachy. :) A nice 2012 Limited 4x2 V6 and a 430n. :D Saved by the dude in front of me that got the Kia that was next to it. :p

I enjoyed the car...the V6 was quite peppy including with freeway merges. While I prefer the display resolution of my own 730N, the Garmin did a good job with any necessary navigation. The only downside was the black-on-black which I don't prefer, but it was just as cold in AL as it was in PA when I left, so "I lived through the experience". LOL

And yes, it was real...

Attachment 21574

canis 03-28-2013 02:12 PM

Re: Rental Score...a JGC

That's great Jim! I got similarly lucky with some great customer service from a local Enterprise one time. I got them to upgrade me for free to a *whatever-class vehicle knowing they had jeeps. But when I got there to pick it up, they only had a Ford Explorer. As I was waiting in line, someone returned a 2012 JGC Limited long-term rental. Score! I took it from Memphis down to Tuscaloosa and back; good times.

kkreit01 03-28-2013 02:16 PM

Since you already drive a Jeep daily, I would have taken the Mustang (unless you were hauling people).

suzieque 03-28-2013 02:32 PM

damn, my company won't cover more than a sub-compact for a rental. :(

GBJeep 03-28-2013 02:39 PM

Nice rental Jim! I've never had that kind of luck at the rental counter, and limited on top of that.

drongbar 03-28-2013 02:44 PM

Last year when I was on business travel, I was lucky to get into a JGC limited (for about 3 months) too.
I was on business travel for about 2 and a half years and have given Edge, GMC Terrain, Durango, Journey and all sorts of other sedans and SUV rentals and liked the JGC so much that now I'm off travel, I'm buying one!

SnoFire 03-28-2013 03:45 PM

That's funny Jim. Atleast you got a vehicle you were used to...

Jim_in_PA 03-28-2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkreit01 (Post 790657)
Since you already drive a Jeep daily, I would have taken the Mustang (unless you were hauling people).

I made that mistake one time and almost couldn't walk afterward... :o But yes, I really did need the extra doors and seats so I wasn't blowing smoke at the rental dude when I insisted on the four door I reserved.

----
suzieque, my employer's arrangements with Avis/Budget is more or less the same cost for a subcompact/compact/intermediate and a "standard" is maybe a buck more a day. I'm thankful for that as I do prefer larger vehicles.
----

Sno, you're right. The familiarity was nice.