Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   '14 Limited V6 w/ Quadra-Trac II - Good Enough? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/14-limited-v6-w-quadra-trac-ii-good-enough-57365.html)

bonacbub 03-28-2013 02:25 PM

'14 Limited V6 w/ Quadra-Trac II - Good Enough?

Just realizing that the '14 V6 Limited with ORA II that I plan on ordering soon will not have Quadra-Drive II. Only available with a V8. Not sure how I missed that up until now.

But anyway, I wanted to get your thoughts of whether the Quadra-Trac II that comes with the ORA II on the V6 would be sufficient enough for my needs.

My job (journalist) requires me to be out in all types of weather (snow, nor-easters, hurricanes, etc..)

And living on Long Island, I of course do the occasional driving on the beach.

I don't plan on doing any rock crawling.

So, just wondering if you think Quadra-Trac II is up to the task for snow and sand.

Thanks in advance.

bb

gwnewman1 03-28-2013 02:48 PM

Re: '14 Limited V6 w/ Quadra-Trac II - Good Enough?

It'll be fine. I drove my '14 through mud and whatnot a couple days after I got it, the QT-II did just fine. You might have to air down the tires a bit in the sand, but for snow it won't have any issues.

SMG1 03-28-2013 03:08 PM

You'd be surprised what some have gone through with QT-1, let alone QT-2. You'll be fine.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

SnoFire 03-28-2013 03:42 PM

You will have no problems. Instead of it putting power to each tire it will do it with each axle. You will be fine for what you use it for..

not_too_shabby 03-28-2013 03:49 PM

Has anybody ran into a situation where both wheels on the same side of the vehicle lose traction and spin? That's the lmitation of QTII correct? Not sure how likely that is to happen.

ColdCase 03-28-2013 04:06 PM

If all I was doing is playing on the beach or in the snow and could stay home when things get really tough, QT would be just fine. My family, however, must be out on the roads regardless, so QD seems to be a small investment for the assurance that you have the best equipment for the job. Coupling the fact that we can't just stay home when things are tough, and a driveway that brings most 4x4s and AWD vehicles to their knees pushed me to invest in the QD.

You won't know if QT is good enough until you need QD. QTII is very capable, especially with aggressive tires. QD is relatively effortless on snow and ice, however. That being said, I used to get around pretty well in a '62 rear wheel drive comet with no traction control except driver effort and winter traction tires. The driver and the effort can make a lot of difference, but its much easier to drive in snow and ice with a QD. As I get older, easy is getting better than challenging, especially when you have to get where you are going regardless.

kirk1233 03-28-2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by not_too_shabby (Post 790735)
Has anybody ran into a situation where both wheels on the same side of the vehicle lose traction and spin? That's the lmitation of QTII correct? Not sure how likely that is to happen.

I went from a 2005 with QD to a 2014 with QTII. I did notice a bit of spin on my snowy driveway when I first got it. I now make sure to put it in snow mode and the tuning it does eliminated that behavior...

ColdCase 03-28-2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by not_too_shabby (Post 790735)

Brake traction control will keep them from spinning much, and transfer power to the tires with traction. The biggest limitation to QTII is that it needs wheel spin for traction control to work and brake traction control sucks up a good bit of power (its hard on brakes in the really rough stuff).

Its not relative to normal street use, but when you hammer the throttle, the QD system locks the rear axle to maximize traction. QT has to wait till a tire loses traction and lock that wheel, until the other looses traction.... then lock that one.. not that anyone but a STR8 driver would want to stomp on the throttle to impress the girls... or need that extra second in the quarter mile :)

SnoFire 03-28-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdCase (Post 790748)
If all I was doing is playing on the beach or in the snow and could stay home when things get really tough, QT would be just fine. My family, however, must be out on the roads regardless, so QD seems to be a small investment for the assurance that you have the best equipment for the job. Coupling the fact that we can't just stay home when things are tough, and a driveway that brings most 4x4s and AWD vehicles to their knees pushed me to invest in the QD.

You won't know if QT is good enough until you need QD. QTII is very capable, especially with aggressive tires. QD is relatively effortless on snow and ice, however. That being said, I used to get around pretty well in a '62 rear wheel drive comet with no traction control except driver effort and winter traction tires. The driver and the effort can make a lot of difference, but its much easier to drive in snow and ice with a QD. As I get older, easy is getting better than challenging, especially when you have to get where you are going regardless.

Your making it sound like if you don't get QD then you might as well be ready to stay home when the weather gets bad or that people can't drive worth crap if they don't have QD...No offense but that is horsesh*t. I never had a V8 or QD in Wisconsin/Upper Michigan and didn't have a problem getting through anything and I respond to fire/EMS calls in the winter no matter the weather. If your rock climbing, sure I would say get it but that would more than what the OP would need it to do. The vehicle will have select track and there is Snow/Beach mode, so it should still work fine. QD isn't going to make the vehicle that much more safe than QT-II, safe driving does that. The vehicle is only as good as the person behind the wheel. People in cars laugh at people in 4x4 vehicles because they think they are invincible on the roads but are in the ditch more than anything, QD won't stop you from doing that if the road is glare ice.

DirtyDuc83 03-28-2013 04:27 PM

I think QTII will get you around just fine with the right tires. I came from a coilovered 2003 BMW M3, RWD, ELSD in the rear and snow tires. I made it through just about everything a couple years ago when we had some really nasty ice/snow on the roads. Getting to work was not an issue when everyone else was sitting at home. I only threw in the towel when my car had an inch thick sheet of ice encapsulating it and defrosting it would have taken hours. I'm positive the QTII with the appropriate tires for the condition will get me through just about anything I plan to drive through. The biggest mistake would be thinking you are invincible because you are in a Jeep and have 4x4.

ColdCase 03-28-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoFire (Post 790757)
Your making it sound like if you don't get QD then you might as well be ready to stay home when the weather gets bad or that people can't drive worth crap if they don't have QD...No offense but that is horsesh*t. I never had a V8 or QD in Wisconsin/Upper Michigan and didn't have a problem getting through anything and I respond to fire/EMS calls in the winter no matter the weather. If your rock climbing, sure I would say get it but that would more than what the OP would need it to do. The vehicle will have select track and there is Snow/Beach mode, so it should still work fine. QD isn't going to make the vehicle that much more safe than QT-II, safe driving does that. The vehicle is only as good as the person behind the wheel. People in cars laugh at people in 4x4 vehicles because they think they are invincible on the roads but are in the ditch more than anything, QD won't stop you from doing that if the road is glare ice.

If you had to get where you were going in foul weather and had a choice between a QD equipped WK2 and a QTII equipped otherwise identical WK2, which would you take? What if your life depended on it?

Perhaps you misunderstood what I was trying to say, or perhaps just pretty far up on your high horse. I mentioned that I never had a problem getting around in my old comet, well until the time the engine compartment filled with snow from dragging it and shorted out the ignition.. that was pretty funny. But Wisconsin and upper Michigan doesn't have the weather other parts of the continent has.. and getting there with less fuss and effort has its advantages. More and adequate are very subjective terms.

The OP wanted to know if there was much of a difference between QTII and QD... and the BS being pushed around here that QD is only useful off road is alarming... and purely BS pushed by those that don't know any better. Don't be thinking lockers when thinking QD. QD's best advantage is in snow and ice, perhaps mud, or on wet lawns you don't want to tear up with spinning tires.

We all know there is no question QD is better, but its subjective if another system is good enough. Life is full of compromises.

I have no Idea of the driving skill the OP has. The more intimidated you are by snow, the more QD makes sense.. but you can make do with just about anything with decent tires.

I guess the point I was making, and poorly at that, is that if I had to be somewhere, t would be nice to have QD in my tool box. Good tools can make life a bit easier. The difference is subjective and depends a lot on the needs and skill of the OP.

SnoFire 03-28-2013 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdCase (Post 790775)
If you had to get where you were going in foul weather and had a choice between a QD equipped WK2 and a QTII equipped otherwise identical WK2, which would you take? What if your life depended on it? Perhaps you misunderstood what I was trying to say, or perhaps just pretty far up on your high horse. I mentioned that I never had a problem getting around in my old comet, well until the time the engine compartment filled with snow from dragging it and shorted out the ignition.. that was pretty funny. But Wisconsin and upper Michigan doesn't have the weather other parts of the continent has.. and getting there with less fuss and effort has its advantages. More and adequate are very subjective terms.

The OP wanted to know if there was much of a difference between QTII and QD... and the BS being pushed around here that QD is only useful off road is alarming... and purely BS pushed by those that don't know any better. Don't be thinking lockers when thinking QD. QD's best advantage is in snow and ice, perhaps mud, or on wet lawns you don't want to tear up with spinning tires.

We all know there is no question QD is better, but its subjective if another system is good enough. Life is full of compromises.

I have no Idea of the driving skill the OP has. The more intimidated you are by snow, the more QD makes sense.. but you can make do with just about anything with decent tires.

Never had QD so I can't say for sure on that point. Any Fire or EMS call I respond to could be a life/situation. I had QTII in my 01 Jeep and I felt very comfortable and confident in the vehicles ability.

Maybe I did misunderstand, no high horse here. We can wind, rain, snow, sleet, hail, tornados. Only things I'm missing are Hurricanes and big earthquakes. When you say getting their with less effort, are you point that to having the V8? On glare ice driving on the highway, QD nor QTII will stop you from going into the ditch.

How fast QD and QTII react to an action is quick if not quicker than what people normally react to. I'm not saying if you can't opt for the v8 and QD not to get it but I wouldn't put it as the "Lifesaver" of 4x4. How confident a person is in the situation and control of the vehicle that they are in can make any 4x4 system work for them.

Edit: Yes, tires can make a world of difference on a vehicle... No hard feelings Coldcase..Just people stating their thoughts. I honor them all