Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Anyone concerned people will confuse their gorgeous WK2 with the 2014 Cherokee? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/anyone-concerned-people-will-confuse-their-gorgeous-wk2-with-the-2014-cherokee-57387.html)

FredoinSF 03-28-2013 09:31 PM

Anyone concerned people will confuse their gorgeous WK2 with the 2014 Cherokee?

1 Attachment(s)
Jeep is replacing the Liberty with a brand new vehicle and renaming it the Cherokee. While spy shots leaked weeks ago, it was just unveiled at the NY Auto show yesterday.

Based on reading the 2014+ threads in JG, several auto sites and the Jeep Facebook page just a minute ago two things are clearly evident:
1. People are confused between the Cherokee and Grand Cherokee. Several think the 2014 Cherokee is the 2014 Grand Cherokee.
2. No one seems to like the styling and the comments are rather crude.

It's too bad because there seems to be a lot of great technology and the interior seems light years ahead of the last Liberty rental I drove.

So:
1. Is this the Jeep's Aztek?
2. Will it do the Jeep brand in like the Aztek did for Pontiac?
3. Are you concerned people will think of the ugly Cherokee when you tell them you are the proud owner of a Grand Cherokee?
4. Will it hurt Grand Cherokee sales and residual values.

Given the public outcry, I'm thinking answer to all is a solid "yes". Hope I'm wrong, but the voice of faithful Jeep owners and hopeful potential buyers says Jeep screwed up with the styling of the Cherokee.
Given that even current Jeep owners don't get the difference between the Cherokee and Grand Cherokee, I really don't know how the average non car person gets the difference between both cars. I hope the newest of the ugly cars everyone will remember does not take the Grand Cherokee down in the process.

jacko15 03-28-2013 09:38 PM

Re: Anyone concerned people will confuse their gorgeous WK2 with the 2014 Cherokee?

I'm not worried, most people are easily confused. Time will sort it all out. Everyone said the Compass was a dog and that didn't turn out to be true. I know a lot of people who own one (including myself) who will be sad to see it go. The big gripe about the Cherokee is the front end, but I think it will grow on people. But then again, every trip to the plate doesn't produce a home run. But you don't throw away your bat because of a foul ball. (Can you tell I'm getting antsy for the season to start!)

SnoFire 03-28-2013 09:48 PM

God no, 2 totally different vehicles. Anyone who confuses the 2 is vehicle retarded..lol

PMD G8 03-28-2013 09:53 PM

Re: Anyone concerned people will confuse their gorgeous WK2 with the 2014 Cherokee?

But I believe people are and probably will end up confusing it b/c of the name. When someone who hasn't seen a Grand Cherokee in a while all of the sudden hears that there "is a new Cherokee" they will look at it and think "god, what have they done to the Grand Cherokee"

Keirik 03-28-2013 10:25 PM

I don't think anyone would look at my car and think it's a Cherokee but i do think it's pretty dumb to have a Cherokee and a Grand Cherokee. It's just confusing to be honest, even if it was the norm before

jacko15 03-28-2013 10:31 PM

Anybody actually thinking about spending $30-50k is damn well going to do a little research and figure it out. If not, they shouldn't have a driver's license.

rubicontrail.net 03-28-2013 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PMD G8 (Post 791013)
But I believe people are and probably will end up confusing it b/c of the name. When someone who hasn't seen a Grand Cherokee in a while all of the sudden hears that there "is a new Cherokee" they will look at it and think "god, what have they done to the Grand Cherokee"

Yeah, already seen several posts be people online making that mistake already.

FAUEE 03-28-2013 10:37 PM

1) It's worse than the Aztek.

2) The Aztek didn't "do in" Pontiac. Pontiac lived for many years after the Aztek, what "did in" Pontiac was the fact that GM builds crap cars.

3) Frankly, I don't give a damn what people think about what I drive. If they ask "how could you buy that bug eye alien thing?" I will tell them they've got the vehicles confused, but overall I don't really care what people think about it. I like my GC, and that's what matters.

4) Possibly, but not just GC, overall Jeep values in general. I think this is highly unlikely. I think you're going to see this thing re-designed for 2015. Possibly 2014 will be a half year even.

Bottom line: Jeep knows they screwed up on the Cherokee. They just didn't have the balls to pull the car before launching it with the ugly front. They're not totally stupid though, so I'm sure they're already working on the new front and rear, heck, I bet since its been a few weeks since it leaked they've ALREADY got a good idea of what they're going to do to fix it.

A lo of people don't realize the Grand Cherokee and Cherokee aren't the same vehicle.

PMD G8 03-28-2013 10:46 PM

Like someone else has already said, it's really not that bad of a vehicle, if you look at the side profile only. Dead on. Not from an angle. But other than the front and rear design I think it will amount to be a pretty capable and decent little soft roader.

sndrsk 03-30-2013 06:11 PM

People who can't understand the difference between the Cherokee and the Grand Cherokee aren't even worth worrying about if they have issues like that.

SMG1 03-30-2013 08:49 PM

It has nothing to do with people having issues, being clueless, etc. It's pretty easy to see how the average person could hear "2014 Jeep Cherokee" and assume they're talking about the Grand Cherokee. When they go to the dealership or the Jeep website they would clearly see that they are two different vehicles, but some people may not get that far if their initial impression isn't good (i.e. seeing it in an ad or on the road).

Does it make a difference to me? No. Can I see how it could happen? Easily.

wildcat12 03-30-2013 10:24 PM

I've seen many people call the new Cherokee a Grand Cherokee in a few places. Jeep has posted a few pictures on Facebook and it seems like quite a few people on there got it confused.