Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Member Garage Discussions (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f215/)
-   -   <TBD> :: 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee (WH) (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f215/tbd-2009-jeep-grand-cherokee-wh-57474.html)

EtherealPonx 03-30-2013 02:51 PM

<TBD> :: 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee (WH)

2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland (2013-03-30 14:51:50)

BlackN'Blue 08-26-2013 10:33 PM

Re: <TBD> :: 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland

Nice Jeep! How did you do the carbon fiber trim on the interior?

EtherealPonx 08-29-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackN'Blue (Post 883045)
Nice Jeep! How did you do the carbon fiber trim on the interior?

Thanks!

Firstly sorry for the delay in writing back, just got back from London.

The Carbon Fiber is vinyl wrap applied to the OEM trim. I had it done at a friends workshop who specializes in car vinyl wrapping. I think the product used was the Vivid vinyl (they have a branch office in Boston). The specific product was the True Carbon Fibre

First, all the trim had to be removed and cleaned, and then the vinyl is applied and cut/bent around corners. I suppose it can be done by anyone but it really depends on the quality of the film and serious patience (getting the pattern aligned perfectly and all). The reason the film has to be really good is because it has to be able to 'bend' correctly around the deep corners. We tried it a few times with cheaper film (matt black) and it wouldn't stay in place around the bends especially the A/C duct covers.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need any other details.

08Hemi 08-29-2013 01:50 PM

Do the steering wheel "covers" to the left and right of the horm just pop off? I love the look...need to match the rest of my interior.

Love the color combo you have on your rig...very nice!!

EtherealPonx 08-29-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 08Hemi (Post 884599)
Do the steering wheel "covers" to the left and right of the horm just pop off? I love the look...need to match the rest of my interior.

Love the color combo you have on your rig...very nice!!

Thanks! yea really wanted to go for a blended look of matt black & Carbon Fiber which complements the mineral grey. I'm a fan of less is more when it comes to colour combos. Next step is the grill inserts :)

For the wheel covers, I assume you are talking about the plastic covers that surround the function buttons on either side of the horn. I recall we took off the actual horn button & airbag first, and disassembled them afterwards (this involves removing the actual switches too. I would strongly advise using a trim removal tool (flat head screw drivers almost always leave scratches behind).

I didn't personally do the steering wheel myself, can check with my installer who took this apart when we sent it for wrapping in leather, so it made sense to take those off an wrap them in carbon fiber vinyl. can I get back to you on that one, by latest Sunday ?

08Hemi 09-01-2013 02:27 PM

Take your time bro I really appreciate the help! Here is a pic of my interior...I think adding some cf to my wheel would be a nice touch. What do you think?

http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/u...2/c2dbbce4.jpg

EtherealPonx 09-04-2013 12:11 PM

[QUOTE=08Hemi;886005]Take your time bro I really appreciate the help! Here is a pic of my interior...I think adding some cf to my wheel would be a nice touch. What do you think?
/QUOTE]

Ok, so I got the confirmation from the installer. Basically you have to remove the horn/airbag to get to these plastic covers. It was required as I had to remove the whole steering wheel to get rid of the wood finish and cover in leather. Apparently it is either bolted or clipped but from inside the steering wheel housing (behind the horn/airbag).

Yes I agree it would look great to wrap these in Carbon Fibre, and would spread the CF theme to the steering wheel, but then you have the issue of the air vents as they are matching colours (I don't understand why Chrysler would use so many random colours on interior ?!). There are also those stupid chrome rings on the steering wheel and hand brake ... luckily in the leather wrap of the steering wheel we just broke these off and covered the area with padding and leather.

Therefore, if you are thinking of wrapping the two plastic pieces on the steering wheel, I would recommend you also wrap the matching a/c vents on either side of the centre console. The CF is generally a better application as it is thicker and can 'bend' better around the deep edges of the vents.

Your lucky with the two tone, wish that was available in the Overland here, that was only available at the time for the 4.7L.

Sorry don't have pics or how-to on that particular part of the job, with over 30 mods on the truck now its getting hard to keep track of everything ;)