Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   First Mod, First Post (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/first-mod-first-post-5748.html)

Jeffjs7 01-20-2010 11:50 AM

First Mod, First Post

Hi! I found this forum after being disappointed with 2 others out there - this one seems to have the most posts for things that interest me.

Anyway, I have a 2008 WK Limited with just about every option other than HID. I've been reading about HID for years, and prices have really come down, so I decided to buy a kit just to test and play with. I bought an ebay kit and installed them last night without issue. Bought 9006/lows at 5000k and did not install the relay because I just wanted to see what would happen... and they worked. No flicker, no bulb out warning, nothing too odd happened. I will say this, the only thing I didn't expect was that the HID lows don't go off when I turn the brights on. Is that normal?

Well, I will hold onto the relay just in case they act up, but I won't put it on unless I need to. Will also fasten down the ballasts a little better this weekend. They are in their good and tight, but no screws, zip ties or tape at this point (mounted them near the light housing itself).

Oh yeah, 2nd question: these seem really hot even at 35W. I really hope they don't melt the stock housing - anyone experience that before?

Thanks for reading my first post.

Jeff

HEMIBeast 01-20-2010 11:54 AM

Re: First Mod, First Post

Welcome to JG!!

DJ BoNiOmArIo 01-20-2010 11:55 AM

Welcome to the garage Jeff,

personally never had an experience of over heating. Although I have not used the ebay products.

Would like to see some pix of ur sweet ride :)

Matt 01-20-2010 11:55 AM

The fogs off when the highs are on is normal (not the low beams)... thought there is a how-to thread floating around here somewhere to have the fogs and highs (and lows) on at the same time.

There are A LOT of us with aftermarket HID's in the stock halogen housings and I have never read about any issue with the housings failing.

Welcome to the Garage!!

White WK Swagga 01-20-2010 11:55 AM

IMO Install the relays. I think the issue is that the stock wiring can't handle the current for HID's All might be fine now but you could shorten the life of tha ballast or bulbs. The relay kit draws the current right fron the battery and the stock wiring is used as a switch to control the on/off.

White WK Swagga 01-20-2010 11:56 AM

My lows stay on with highs Matt. Just the fogs cut off.

Matt 01-20-2010 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by White WK Swagga (Post 135632)
IMO Install the relays. I think the issue is that the stock wiring can't handle the current for HID's All might be fine now but you could shorten the life of tha ballast or bulbs. The relay kit draws the current right fron the battery and the stock wiring is used as a switch to control the on/off.

x2!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by White WK Swagga (Post 135633)
My lows stay on with highs Matt. Just the fogs cut off.

Bah! That's what I was thinking of, LOL. Fogs go off when the highs are engaged, not the lows. :o

Escape 01-20-2010 12:02 PM

Welcome Aboard!

White Chocolate 01-20-2010 12:07 PM

welcome pal!!

1 GRAND 01-20-2010 12:35 PM

No overheating issues for me, but I don't have the ebay kit either.

Jeffjs7 01-20-2010 12:38 PM

Wow! I like this forum already.

Ok, I hear you all on the relay - will consider it.

As far as pics for my Jeep, well I can get some, but it's bone stock. 2008 Jeep GC Limited with factory NAV, Sat, heated seats front/back, sunroof, 18" chrome clad, tow package, Quadradrive II w/Hemi. I got it new about 16 months ago and it has about 16k miles on it now.

Not sure I'm going to do much to it, but I needed better lights and this did the trick. Had SilverStars in my previous vehicle (2005 Dodge Ram 1500 QC Hemi 20" Aluminum) - they are ok, but HID pricing is sooooo cheap now.

Only problem I've ever had with my Jeep is the engine light comes on all the time. I've taken it to the shop in Cherry Hill NJ several times and they always change out a random part and it's fine for a month or 2 then it pops on again. I've learned to live with it.

BTW, the off-on, off-on, off-on to read engine codes has never worked for me, ever on the GC. Dealer never charges though, but wish there was a way this worked.

White WK Swagga 01-20-2010 12:40 PM

^^^ You have to do it pretty fast. It wasn't working for me either at first.