Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   paint chipping off the door (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/paint-chipping-off-the-door-57520.html)

djinfected 03-31-2013 11:33 AM

paint chipping off the door

So I was washing my truck yesterday and noticed the area on the rear door just below the chip protection pad is chipped and rusting. Ive only had my jeep for 3 months. Has anyone else had this problem?

ernestd 03-31-2013 02:49 PM

Re: paint chipping off the door

No problems here.
How about a photo?

djinfected 03-31-2013 04:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 21751

AAAA 03-31-2013 05:22 PM

Tube of Mopar touchup paint is $10 at dealer.

Hoguie7 03-31-2013 05:22 PM

Lot of salt treated roads driving, maybe?

djinfected 03-31-2013 05:42 PM

I wouldn't think that the first couple months would do that. Had my last car for 8 years without this problem. Ill probably just get some touch up paint, but hopefully im not doing this every year.

SnoFire 03-31-2013 05:51 PM

Personally I would take it to the dealer..that shouldn't happen that quick

JeepersCreepers 03-31-2013 11:46 PM

Sorry to hear that. I read about this before here, there are a couple of threads on it. I don't recall anyone saying that the chips were rusting, but it's the main reason I installed the front splash guards as soon as I got the vehicle -- seems to be a very vulnerable area for chips with the WK2, and I've seen chipping in that area (and higher) on other models like the Liberty too.

Sorry to hear it though, and yeah, look into the MOPAR touch up paint. Odd that Jeep doesn't make it so that the film goes all the way down to the bottom edge there...

jacko15 04-01-2013 08:04 AM

I'm surprised the galvanized metal is rusting. Are you sure it's not something on the surface that can be removed with claybar? Just hoping the problem isn't as bad as you think.

djinfected 05-10-2013 09:52 AM

So I went to the dealer hoping they would fix it under warranty but they are not.
The guy in the body shop I talked to said its really common and he had a woman come in with 15k miles on her truck. He said the whole door looked like it was sand blasted down to bare metal.
I dont really want to get splash guards so im going to try side steps to see if they will block the rocks.

GCLimited 05-10-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepersCreepers (Post 793032)

I don't recall anyone saying that the chips were rusting, but it's the main reason I installed the front splash guards as soon as I got the vehicle

Same here...and clearbra up front too.

That area in front of the rear wheel is vulnerable...looks pretty sand-blasted to me. Common problem for WRX/STIs and Evos.