Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/)
-   -   Ported TB worth it? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/ported-tb-worth-it-57526.html)

DirtyDuc83 03-31-2013 01:57 PM

Ported TB worth it?

Hello All,

After installing a Volant CAI and the Intune DCX with Hemifever tune, i'm wondering about the benefits of a ported TB. I understand flyinryan here sells them and the pricing seems pretty reasonable. I'm very happy with the Volant and tune so far but heck, why not add on another easy bolt on. I don't plan on adding an exhaust as I don't want to make the jeep any louder right now. If I did add an exhaust it would likely be a Gibson which would probably only get me some added sound anyways.

What can I expect to gain from adding a ported TB? More HP? More sound? Better response?

steveo 03-31-2013 02:28 PM

Re: Ported TB worth it?

I can't speak for the Hemi but I've put them in the older Magnums (5.9's) and it was well worth the price of admission. I bought them from Fastman.

moosehead 03-31-2013 08:10 PM

DD, with your tune being the most impactful boost you can get, not sure you would notice the PTB or not, but it is not expensive and easy to install.

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/porte...wk2-31007.html

BuckeyeSRT 04-01-2013 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steveo (Post 792739)
I can't speak for the Hemi but I've put them in the older Magnums (5.9's) and it was well worth the price of admission. I bought them from Fastman.

Ah Fastman, that brought back great memories of my 2000 Durango R/T and the owners club. Thanks for that and sorry for the ever so brief hijack :D

steveo 04-01-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuckeyeSRT (Post 793117)
Ah Fastman, that brought back great memories of my 2000 Durango R/T and the owners club. Thanks for that and sorry for the ever so brief hijack :D

I used to frequent that forum also. Nice people on there. I miss the ole D somedays.

kkreit01 04-02-2013 10:16 AM

I know many current Ram owners swear by them. With a tune, I think you'd benefit even more. Ask Hemifever.

DirtyDuc83 04-03-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkreit01 (Post 793893)
I know many current Ram owners swear by them. With a tune, I think you'd benefit even more. Ask Hemifever.

Good idea to ask Hemifever. I might do so when I send my first set of datalogs on 91 octane. I e-mailed flyinryan and haven't heard back yet...

I also hear that the whole tube is not actually increased in diameter and it is essentially beveled to the butterfly? Is that true and wouldn't it be much more beneficial to have one that is increased in diameter throughout?

dmsfun 04-03-2013 01:59 PM

85 mm taper bore ported TB makes a notable improvement in torque from low RPM to high, with improved throttle response, and WOT operation. This is worthwhile. Everyone voicing opinions has no clue what it does or does not do, since they do not have one. There is also an 87 mm straight bore, but low end torque not as good, and WOT A/F will be off, so that one needs to be dyno tuned.

DirtyDuc83 04-03-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmsfun (Post 794981)
85 mm taper bore ported TB makes a notable improvement in torque from low RPM to high, with improved throttle response, and WOT operation. This is worthwhile. Everyone voicing opinions has no clue what it does or does not do, since they do not have one. There is also an 87 mm straight bore, but low end torque not as good, and WOT A/F will be off, so that one needs to be dyno tuned.

DMS, thanks for weighing in. Sounds like there is some improvement to be realized. For the price and ease of install sounds like it may be a worthwhile mod that won't raise any eyebrows at the dealership unless they are looking for it.

DirtyDuc83 04-03-2013 09:46 PM

Just got a response from flyin ryan and he is not porting currently...any other recommendations?

moosehead 04-03-2013 10:11 PM

Try Fastman: The Fastman - Specializing in Mopar Performance Parts

DirtyDuc83 04-03-2013 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosehead (Post 795349)

Thanks Moose. Any easier way to find out with tb i have besides taking things apart?