Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   Car chasses has a permanent list to the left (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/car-chasses-has-a-permanent-list-to-the-left-57555.html)

connie 04-01-2013 09:00 AM

Car chasses has a permanent list to the left

Guys,

a few days ago i've noticed something very strange. I have a '08 GC Overland (diesel). Car body has a small but permanent list to the left side (driever side). I initially thought it was my imagination or it was parked in such a way that the road angle was forcing it to list. So i attempted to prove me wrong. I drove it to a place where the road surface was straight.

I used a tape measure to check the vertical height difference between the right and left side of the vehicle. (vertically from ground to the lower edge of the top point of the rear fender).

So the result : my rear right side was 83 cm, the left side was 79.5 cm. The front right/left heights had a difference of about 1.8 cm in favour of the right side. Initially thought that the fuel tank (fully loaded with diesel) is causing this but today the tank is half empty and the list is still there. I also checked with the dealer who advised me that this is usual. I also asked them if this is a suspension issue but they categorically said no. Have to admit that i haven't noticed difficulties during driving/turning etc etc. The car drives perfectly.

Anyone with similar experience ?? Any assistance is highly appreciated.

SvenskaJeepGuy 04-01-2013 10:57 AM

Re: Car chasses has a permanent list to the left

the gas tank is on the left, they all sit a little lower on the left

suzieque 04-01-2013 11:20 AM

interesting, I have a CRD Jeep, I will measure both sides of the rear end too. I will do the measurement without the driver or passengers inside. I have rear air bags so those may cause some difference to what you are seeing.

Chas 04-01-2013 12:25 PM

Mine looks the same way with a full tank.

connie 04-01-2013 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chas (Post 793303)
Mine looks the same way with a full tank.

Chas.....you probably mean your car sits little lower on the left as well ?

connie 04-01-2013 02:49 PM

Thanks svenska....that's a relief....i thought there was something wrong with my suspension....I guess it returns to balance when the tank is empty

Chas 04-01-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by connie (Post 793394)
Chas.....you probably mean your car sits little lower on the left as well ?

Yup

SvenskaJeepGuy 04-01-2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by connie (Post 793399)
Thanks svenska....that's a relief....i thought there was something wrong with my suspension....I guess it returns to balance when the tank is empty

no problem, I remember seeing mine like that the first time and thought there was a problem

bill_de 04-01-2013 05:25 PM

Did everybody check their tire pressures first?

SvenskaJeepGuy 04-01-2013 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 793481)
Did everybody check their tire pressurs first?

its a know thing about the WK, nada to do about tire pressure LOL there are a few threads here about it

suzieque 04-01-2013 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by connie (Post 793177)
I used a tape measure to check the vertical height difference between the right and left side of the vehicle. (vertically from ground to the lower edge of the top point of the rear fender).

So the result : my rear right side was 83 cm, the left side was 79.5 cm. The front right/left heights had a difference of about 1.8 cm in favour of the right side. Initially thought that the fuel tank (fully loaded with diesel) is causing this but today the tank is half empty and the list is still there. I also checked with the dealer who advised me that this is usual. I also asked them if this is a suspension issue but they categorically said no. Have to admit that i haven't noticed difficulties during driving/turning etc etc. The car drives perfectly.

Anyone with similar experience ?? Any assistance is highly appreciated.

2008 CRD, I did a quick measurement, 86cm both sides. Little less than half a tank of fuel, but I have rear air bags inflated to about 10lbs, so that may be levelling out my vehicle side to side.

I rarely run a full tank of fuel because I believe there is no point in hauling around the weight of a bunch of fuel.

connie 04-02-2013 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzieque (Post 793622)
2008 CRD, I did a quick measurement, 86cm both sides. Little less than half a tank of fuel, but I have rear air bags inflated to about 10lbs, so that may be levelling out my vehicle side to side.

I rarely run a full tank of fuel because I believe there is no point in hauling around the weight of a bunch of fuel.

Roger that sir......it's a common issue i understand from svenska.......but i will again check with emty tank