Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Why No Summit (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/why-no-summit-57583.html)

Josephr 04-01-2013 07:15 PM

Why No Summit
 
Hello Everyone,

I have been trying to encourage Chrysler to bring this model into Australia because I saw the Summit when I was at the launch in the States earlier this year.

Seriously, it is a great looking SUV and should be positioned alongside of the SRT8 as the V6 Luxury version. The STR8 would always be the performance model and would compete very well against all of the V8 Euro models such as BMW X5, Audi Q7 and MB ML63.

I recently had a conversation with the sales and marketing boys at Chrysler AU and this is some of the points I made. If you agree, please add your comments to this post, I hope I am not alone.

Email conversation with Chrysler...

I have had a look at the link you have sent and I can understand your comments and concern about the positioning of the Summit version, but really the overland does not look as good as the Summit and looking at the feature list I sent to Sam, there are quite a few differences.

Given what you said about the positioning of the three models, Overland, SRT8 and Summit, I really do believe that there is room for all three in this way:

1. The overland is a great package for the person who wants that bit or luxury but still wants to retain the ability to do some serious off roading from time to time. It is positioned up against the Toyota Prado’s, Mitsubishi Pajero, and Nissan Patrol. The Overlander has a good combination of features and sits squarely in the pack for value for money, great and with the new looks you can make hay while the sun shines.

2. SRT8, now this is a different kettle of fish than the above, it’s the muscle machine of the SUV market, performance, style and features that stack it up against the thoroughbreds of the industry, ML63, BMW X5 50i, Audi Q7’s, and really these buyers don’t go off road…..much. The tyres won’t let them anyway. This package has all the hall marks of a game changer, offered with a great support package, prestige servicing, roadside assistance, guarantee buyback program, track days, maybe an F1 interlude, what a great marketing opportunity to attack to big boys in the game and at a price that is more affordable. Sheer exhilaration!

3. That leaves the Summit, well from what I can see there is a gap in your AU strategy, why……………well I think with the Overland model you have catered well for the average 4x4 enthusiast and the SRT8 has the performance end covered, but if you have noticed, there has been a growing market for what the market calls “The Luxury SUV Market” and this has also been reported in the papers and many magazines in recent times. This part of the market is focused on those customers who are not really going off road, they are looking for a status symbol, that is why they buy ML350’s, BMW X5 30d’s, Audi Q5’s with Diesel engines because they think they are doing something for the environment. The key here is looks, features, style, character and quality craftsmanship, all of which the Summit offers. Price, is not the issue and it is how you package and present this model that will determine your success. I would only offer it in the Diesel version but again position it along side of the SRT8, it is the V6 Luxury version of the SRT8. Maybe you could even bring the two together leverage one off the other so you don’t loose customers to other marques because the Overland just doesn’t cut it and you don’t want to drag the Overland into this space as it won’t compete.

End conversation....

Please add your feeling, maybe I have it wrong but when you see a Summit in the flesh, you will see what I am on about.

Look forward to all of your comments,

Regards...JosephR

Jim_in_PA 04-01-2013 07:20 PM

Re: Why No Summit
 
If I'm not mistaken and if nothing has changed, according to Milous, AU is getting the MY14 Summit,. It's now a separate model from the Overland and what "was" the Overland in AU was the equivalent of the previous Overland Summit here in the US...again, if I'm not mistaken.

Josephr 04-01-2013 09:37 PM

Re: Why No Summit
 
3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim_in_PA (Post 793542)
If I'm not mistaken and if nothing has changed, according to Milous, AU is getting the MY14 Summit,. It's now a separate model from the Overland and what "was" the Overland in AU was the equivalent of the previous Overland Summit here in the US...again, if I'm not mistaken.

Jim,

That would be great news if that were the case, I am looking to buy a deep Cherry Red like the attached image.

As you can see the wheel arch treatment, nose and side skirts really make it look the part. I hope our Overland will look like this. Also, if they have the 825-watt, 19-speaker Harman Kardon sound system as an option or standard, that would be fantastic as I have heard the sound and it is out of this world. I hope the 8.4-inch Uconnect touch-screen multimedia system with navigation will also be part of the offer.

If someone has more information, please let me know.

Thank you.....JosephR

Josephr 04-01-2013 10:43 PM

Re: Why No Summit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Josephr (Post 793623)
Jim,

That would be great news if that were the case, I am looking to buy a deep Cherry Red like the attached image.

As you can see the wheel arch treatment, nose and side skirts really make it look the part. I hope our Overland will look like this. Also, if they have the 825-watt, 19-speaker Harman Kardon sound system as an option or standard, that would be fantastic as I have heard the sound and it is out of this world. I hope the 8.4-inch Uconnect touch-screen multimedia system with navigation will also be part of the offer.

If someone has more information, please let me know.

Thank you.....JosephR

By the way, have not added that I live in Australia and so far there is no indication that the Chrysler team in Australia will bring this model to our country.

If someone knows more, please let me know.

Thank you....JosephR

Jim_in_PA 04-02-2013 08:16 AM

Re: Why No Summit
 
Browse the sticky threads above for both features and ordering and you'll find the posts about this. Look for posts by Milous, who is the resident "insider" that posts all the detailed information.

Scottina06 04-02-2013 12:51 PM

The summit is coming to Australia

Josephr 04-02-2013 06:50 PM

Re: Why No Summit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 794008)
The summit is coming to Australia

Scott,

Thank you for the heads up............how do you know that will happen?

I hope you can make my day and many others who want the Summit model in AU.

Everyone I have spoken to in Chrysler indicates otherwise.



Regards...........JosephR

Jim_in_PA 04-02-2013 08:46 PM

Re: Why No Summit
 
Joseph, Milous...our very able insider...has confirmed that MY14 Summit will get to AU. Scott is also an insider.

Josephr 04-02-2013 09:35 PM

Re: Why No Summit
 
5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim_in_PA (Post 794438)
Joseph, Milous...our very able insider...has confirmed that MY14 Summit will get to AU. Scott is also an insider.

Jim,

Thanks fantastic news, I will keep my fingers crossed that it happens.

I want to buy the following:

Deep Cherry Red
V6 CRD
Harman Kardon sound system
Brown/Beige interior similar to attached 2012 version
Dual Sun Roof
Most importantly the Summit look, see attached.

I have put a build order in with a Sydney dealer and they are waiting for a response from Chrysler.

Maybe Milos or Steve could add some more info here, thank you.

Regards.........JosephR

Robo_70 04-02-2013 09:54 PM

Re: Why No Summit
 
Josephr, many of us here in AU have been advised by local dealers there is NO Summit coming and those dealers have been advised by higher authorities and regional managers in Jeep/Chrysler AU head office there is NO Summit coming . Your emails with with Zac & Clyde etc here also eluded to the fact of NO Summit.. I posted on Jeeps Facebook page and they confirmed NO Summit... its seems a constant point of conflict that the production guys in the US say yes and all sources locally say NO.. why would they be motivated to bullshit us here in Australia???? what is there to gain other than lost sales. ( that is a real question by the way ) . the mystery continues !

Josephr 04-03-2013 02:15 AM

Re: Why No Summit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robo_70 (Post 794514)
Josephr, many of us here in AU have been advised by local dealers there is NO Summit coming and those dealers have been advised by higher authorities and regional managers in Jeep/Chrysler AU head office there is NO Summit coming . Your emails with with Zac & Clyde etc here also eluded to the fact of NO Summit.. I posted on Jeeps Facebook page and they confirmed NO Summit... its seems a constant point of conflict that the production guys in the US say yes and all sources locally say NO.. why would they be motivated to bullshit us here in Australia???? what is there to gain other than lost sales. ( that is a real question by the way ) . the mystery continues !

Robo,

Interesting Conundrum I agree, there must be more to this than meets the eye. I do not understand why the local boys would so easily throw away an opportunity like the Summit. If it were the case that the Summit did not meet design rules or it has some sort of safety issue, I can understand that but the problem would then exist with the SRT8 which as a more pronounced nose by comparison to the Summit, but that is not the case. As I eluded to in another post, I hope it is not the case that because the Chrysler guy's previously worked potentially for or at least in the same building as MB, that there is some local underlying notion that Jeep will not attach the ML market with a product that will definitely take some market share from MB.

I cannot think of another reason......just makes no sense. Maybe the guy's in the US, Milous and Scott can push from their end for some answers that are tenable. Can you contact them?

Regards................JosephR:thumbsup:

Jim_in_PA 04-03-2013 07:36 AM

Re: Why No Summit
 
Well, I hope that Milous is correct and you get the Summit. And if you do, it will not be with that beige interior...Jeep Brown or Black are the interior options for the Summit. If you want the beige...order a loaded Overland. Remember, the Summit is a separate trim level from the Overland for MY14. No ORII option, either. No tow hooks. Strictly a "luxury" trim from a marketing perspective.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community