Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   uConnect - without a smart phone (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/uconnect-without-a-smart-phone-57645.html)

bill_de 04-02-2013 01:13 PM

uConnect - without a smart phone

Am I missing anything other than being able to start my car from the opposite coast and some apps that will give me access to more music choices?

Without the phone, I have the emergency buttons, Bing, all the navigation features, and can order the wifi service.

There are plenty of music options and I'm happy to start my car when I'm close enough for the fob to work. Is there anything else that would make getting a smart phone worth the money.

peckmv 04-02-2013 01:30 PM

Re: uConnect - without a smart phone

I don't have a smart phone and the only issue with my "dumb" phone is the U Connect won't accept any entries into the phone book. So if I call someone I have to select it on my phone and then the U Connect takes over and works fine. So basically I have no address book. I went to the dealer and they said its the phone and Verizion said that the phone (which is new) is not compatable with U Connect. I don't use a cell phone much so its no a big issue.:(

jacko15 04-02-2013 01:53 PM

I don't want a phone that's smarter than me! Life's confusing enough already. I suppose if you need to be connected to everything all the time, you need a smartphone. I don't even give my dumbphone number out unless it's really necessary (Dr.'s office, etc.) I have voicemail on my homephone, that's connected enough.

Specx 04-02-2013 02:23 PM

You're just missing out on the apps the smartphone would allow. I have a smartphone as my personal phone and a basic phone for work. Both allow me to connect and operate the same, but I do get to use Pandora/Slacker/other music apps and stream the audio where my basic phone only allows me to make calls.

AAAA 04-02-2013 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peckmv (Post 794055)
I don't have a smart phone and the only issue with my "dumb" phone is the U Connect won't accept any entries into the phone book. So if I call someone I have to select it on my phone and then the U Connect takes over and works fine. So basically I have no address book. I went to the dealer and they said its the phone and Verizion said that the phone (which is new) is not compatable with U Connect. I don't use a cell phone much so its no a big issue.:(

I have the free Verizon LG and it works as you say except VR does work for directory. SMS does not work except for old messages. I'm fine with it. I was thrilled to leave behind the smart phone when I retired. Now that I am a slacker I don't get any critical emails anymore and the LG is nice and small. :thumbsup:

padgett 04-02-2013 03:38 PM

My smartphone can act as a wifi hotspot. Can the '14 use something other than Sprint ?