Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Windshield Quality Issues (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/windshield-quality-issues-57679.html)

seank77 04-02-2013 08:35 PM

Windshield Quality Issues

I have a 2012 Limited, I was wondering if anyone else has issues with their windshield quality as well.

The windshield that came from the factory looked like it had etched fingerprints in it, right in my line of sight. You could feel them by running your fingernail down the glass. I took it back and the dealer replaced it under warranty.

The second windshield had a dirty streak between the two layers of glass. Almost as if they missed a spot when cleaning the glass before putting them together. This was almost impossible to see during the day, but driving home at night after work into the sun you could definitely see it.

The third windshield had fibers between the layers of glass. They look like lint from a rag and they are all over the windshield. Same as the second, they are tough to see during the day, but in the evening it is easy.

The fourth is now on order after having the 3rd for 1 day, and when it comes in, I'm going to go to the dealer, and clean it inspect it thoroughly in the evening sun before it is installed.

My dealer has been great though, each time I've had no problem getting the dealer to see this, and having them order me a new windshield. I was wondering if anyone else has had any similar experiences or if I just have really bad luck. Seems like they are doing a poor job with quality control of their glass.

Jim_in_PA 04-03-2013 08:52 AM

Re: Windshield Quality Issues

Mine is pretty much perfect...

gwnewman1 04-03-2013 09:39 AM

The only problem I had with the windshield on my '12 was the seal on the drivers side A pillar...there was a pinhole leak and you could hear the whistle out on the highway. Took the dealer a couple tries to find it, but they got it in the end and resealed it. They straight up told me they were only going to take the windshield off as a last resort, they didn't want to break the entire seal.

jordanwallace 04-03-2013 10:01 AM

My 2012 windshield also had a dirty streak between the glass layers. The dealer replaced the windshield without hesitation. The second windshield is perfect.

unimatrixzer0 05-05-2013 04:59 PM

Since we're talking about windshield imperfections is it normal for the windshield to have a fairy dust/sparkles (lol, for lack of a better description) shimmer under direct sun light (at the right angle)? I always kind of thought maybe that's just how glass was or maybe it's some kind of layer in the glass for impact resistance so it doesn't shatter. Otherwise under normal conditions it's clear.