Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   2014 Overland vs. Summit (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/2014-overland-vs-summit-57717.html)

tkcane 04-03-2013 12:39 PM

2014 Overland vs. Summit

Thoughts? What are the reasons for each? Going to be purchasing in 5.7 4x4, but can't see a ton of reason to go to the Summit. Thanks in advance.

Jim_in_PA 04-03-2013 12:46 PM

Re: 2014 Overland vs. Summit

Summit ----> Preference is for luxury on the road with very limited/mild or no off-road desires. Gain best audio system, distinctive styling and a unique interior treatment with the available brown leather. Limited number of exterior colors.

Overland ----> High-end appointments inside with off-road capability outside at the sacrifice of a few bells and whistles only available on the Summit. Off-road options available; three interior colors plus most exterior colors.

Which you choose should be based on what you intend to do with it. Off-road automagically puts you in the Overland, for example.

tkcane 04-03-2013 12:52 PM

100% on road for me. Odd why they don't have simple things like Remote Start / LATCH system in a higher priced vehicle.

MD Boy 04-03-2013 01:01 PM

Good thread. I wanted to post the same thought a while ago.

I prefer the looks of the Overland; I hate the wheels and the lower front fascia of the Summit. However, I really want the H/K sound system, which happens to only be on the Summit. Don't care too much for the other added appointments on the Summit, makes it look too bloated.

The perfect JGC for me would be the Overland with the at least the option to order the H/K sound system (should be standard to begin with) and the addition of the chrome grille found on the Summit.

tkcane 04-03-2013 01:07 PM

Couldn't agree more. At least make the HK an upgrade

Burrogs 04-03-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkcane (Post 794926)
100% on road for me. Odd why they don't have simple things like Remote Start / LATCH system in a higher priced vehicle.

Both vehicles should have both of these standard. What are you referring to?

Jim_in_PA 04-03-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkcane (Post 794939)
Couldn't agree more. At least make the HK an upgrade

They are not offering this to keep the exclusivity of the Summit trim level. Same with the brown interior with "copper" highlights. If you could option out an Overland to the same exact thing as the Summit, there would be no reason to have the Summit. Remember, this is marketing... ;)

CHALLENGERBIZJET 04-03-2013 01:50 PM

Just replace the front speakers in the overland with some upgraded alpines etc and that will improve your sounds. Nice little upgrade without having the hk system and your ears will be pleased,any good and knowledgable stereo shop should be able to handle this quick job or you can do it yourself.... Start your search at crutchfield.com

PMD G8 04-03-2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkcane (Post 794926)

Errrm, they both have those features.

jgc4ever 04-03-2013 07:18 PM

What's a "LATCH system"?

bertball50 04-03-2013 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgc4ever (Post 795210)
What's a "LATCH system"?

It's for kids car seats.

h2obuff 04-03-2013 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Boy (Post 794935)
Good thread. I wanted to post the same thought a while ago.

I prefer the looks of the Overland; I hate the wheels and the lower front fascia of the Summit. However, I really want the H/K sound system, which happens to only be on the Summit. Don't care too much for the other added appointments on the Summit, makes it look too bloated.

The perfect JGC for me would be the Overland with the at least the option to order the H/K sound system (should be standard to begin with) and the addition of the chrome grille found on the Summit.

I agree as well. Going to order my CRD tomorrow. Originally I was going to get an Overland like the '12 I have now, until I found out the HK was only on Summit.

I too like the looks of the Overland a bit more, plus i get tow hooks standards. I am leaning toward the Summit and having the dealer swap me the Overland wheels.

I do lots of driving and about 5-10% off roading so I am sure either JGC will perform as expected.

I still have a few more hours to decide. I am going to sit in both again tomorrow morning to try and decide.