Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   2014 Capless Fuel Filler Cap (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/2014-capless-fuel-filler-cap-57759.html)

PMD G8 04-03-2013 11:29 PM

2014 Capless Fuel Filler Cap

Does anyone else find it as difficult as I have when trying to get the fuel nozzle into the capless fuel filler cap? I went to fill up for the first time tonight and literally had to force the nozzle into the cap.

bill_de 04-04-2013 06:57 AM

Re: 2014 Capless Fuel Filler Cap

Apparently so. There are quite a few comments in another thread regarding this.

WVSpelunker 04-04-2013 11:02 AM

Yup. I was curious as to whether it was just me or not.

BobsWK2 04-04-2013 01:48 PM

I only filled mine one time since delivery and I had no problem.

Specx 04-04-2013 02:54 PM

I just filled up last night and it went right in. No trouble trying to get the nozzle in the capless fuel hole.

AAAA 04-04-2013 04:46 PM

Let's see a photo of that capless filler please.

Specx 04-04-2013 05:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's one from the press release earlier.

PMD G8 04-04-2013 08:57 PM

Maybe the capless cap needs some lube.....

Maybe I will take a video next time. People will be looking at me wondering what the hell I am doing. Oh heck, I will just go to the gas station at wal-mart, nobody gives a crap about anything there.

JTrsek 04-04-2013 10:15 PM

I hear ya PMD. I was unable to add fuel at my Shell station. The Shell pump nozzles have some sort of coil/spring thing that wraps around the nozzle about half way up. Combine that with length and angle of the filler assembly prevents the nozzle from going in enough. Quite frustrating. Filled up at Sunoco with no problems. The Sunoco pumps do NOT have this spring thing on the nozzles. I like the idea of a capless filler but this is a little disappointing. Still absolutely freaking love this GC Overland though.

Beski 04-05-2013 06:50 AM

Is this just a "learning curve" or a "mechanical issue" ?

In New Jersey we can't pump our own gas so that means there will always be somebody new pumping and trying to figure it out - so just wondering if it's just a metal piece that will lossen up over time etc. ?

bill_de 04-05-2013 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beski (Post 796347)
Is this just a "learning curve" or a "mechanical issue" ?

In New Jersey we can't pump our own gas so that means there will always be somebody new pumping and trying to figure it out - so just wondering if it's just a metal piece that will lossen up over time etc. ?

You do have to put the nozzle straight in. If you go at an angle it can get hung up on whatever they have internally. I can see some kid trying to force it, so hopefully these things are strong.

The capless filler seems to be a solution without a problem. Has anyone read anything directly from Jeep that explains the decision to go with this?

f1anatic 04-05-2013 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 796349)
The capless filler seems to be a solution without a problem. Has anyone read anything directly from Jeep that explains the decision to go with this?

To you and I may not be a problem but the actual problem is fuel smell on your hands.

That being said, proper fuel tank pressurization is needed to ensure the engine does not throw anonymous (until read) CELs. I wonder how the system will hold up after a few years worth of use, with salt, corrosion, dirt and grime factored in. Another concern is with air quality/emissions testing facilities that perform filler cap pressure testing (against factory spec).