Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   No start problem (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/no-start-problem-57777.html)

outkrage 04-04-2013 11:33 AM

No start problem

For whatever reason this problem is directly related to the outside temperature because in the winter time I have no problems at all, but when the temp gets 65 degrees and up I have problems.

What happens is start it up and go to the store, come out, turn the key, and nothing...just a click. I turn the key several times, same thing... Then after about 10 to 15 minutes it usually starts up just fine.

When this problem occurs I usually get a "service park assist" message on the dash and all the the boxes around the gears are lit up like the jeep thinks the transmission is in all the park, neutral, reverse, and drive all at once.

When it does start this does not happen but I have no idea how the park assist system could cause the car to not start. I've changed out the alternator, battery, and starter trying to solve this problem...

Any ideas?

2005JGC 04-05-2013 12:02 AM

Re: No start problem

Typically your symptoms indicate a communication failure, all your symptoms are simply the cluster saying "hey we are not getting information from these modules". This could be a connection somewhere and it could be a module. Using a witech communication failure is a little easier to isolate to a specific module (if it is a module causing the concern). Ultimately this could be a difficult one especially not having my hands on it.

DannyVtCa 04-06-2013 10:07 AM

My starter went at 60k. When it did it would sometimes start, sometimes click just once and not start... But it would eventually start after I had turned my key enough. I've heard the ignition switch can go bad also. Your problem seems different though. See if there are any codes. New starter for me cost 135 installed by dealer.

outkrage 04-11-2013 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2005JGC (Post 796264)
Typically your symptoms indicate a communication failure, all your symptoms are simply the cluster saying "hey we are not getting information from these modules". This could be a connection somewhere and it could be a module. Using a witech communication failure is a little easier to isolate to a specific module (if it is a module causing the concern). Ultimately this could be a difficult one especially not having my hands on it.

This is my fear. It seems to be a bit beyond my ability to repair but at the same time I don't want to end up taking it to a dealership and end up getting robbed by them. Know of anyone who could fix this in the area (Portland, OR)?

I also have a couple unrelated problems that I haven't identified yet. When I'm in reverse backing out of a parking spot and turning at the same time I get a strange grinding/vibration coming from what seems to be the rear left of the vehicle. The other is at low speeds coasting downhill the jeep with shift really hard and create quite the thud.

outkrage 04-12-2013 03:33 PM

After doing more research on the issue. Could it be the electronic control module in the shifter bezel? I don't really want to replace a part that doesn't need it though. Is there anyway to test this?

2005JGC 04-13-2013 03:09 PM

No, the 545RFE does not use the same shift bezel your referring to. The problem bezel is used in combination with the NAG1 transmission.

Your clunking is probably the front differential bushings, VERY common on any wk with torque (so pretty much all of them except the 3.7l ha ha).

As for shop suggestions I do my own work naturally so I don't have legit first hand business experience with any local shops.

brentwoodkris 04-15-2013 01:36 PM

Sounds like a faulty ignition control module. If it had JUST been the click and no start, I would have said it was bad contacts on the starter due to corrosion (COMMON problem), but the additional warnings lead me to believe that it may be the ignition control module (another common problem). If you end up going that route, it's only a $25 part and a 10 minute install with Torx T-handles. In either case, I'd also get the terminals on your starter cleaned. Thankfully mine got cleaned when I had my engine block heater installed (which required removal of the starter on the 5.7L).

outkrage 04-17-2013 01:56 PM

I'll try the ignition control module. I'm just perplexed as to why this problem is directly related to the temperature outside. With summer right around the corner I have got to get this figured out...

brentwoodkris 04-17-2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by outkrage (Post 805830)
I'm just perplexed as to why this problem is directly related to the temperature outside.

Directly related implies causation. Based off of your observations, I don't think that you can call it causation, but merely a correlation. Temperature may not be the ONLY factor that is changing here. There are undoubtedly other factors that are contributing to your issue.

On a related note, have you checked the terminals on the starter itself? Like I said, corrosion on those is a common fail to start issue on WKs.

outkrage 04-17-2013 04:17 PM

I say directly related because over the last 2 summers I've taken very detailed notes on the details of when this happens to the point where I can accurately predict if it will start or not based on the weather.

I just think it's interesting. It will reliably start if its 55 degrees outside but at 75 degrees I start getting problems. That's only 20 degrees which wouldn't have much effect on things mechanically but on the interior a 75 degree day can make it 100 degrees on the inside if in the sun.

I replaced the starter last summer and wrapped it with thermal tape (thinking the starter was getting too hot) while doing this noticed the connection of the single yellow wire was corroded so I cleaned it and replaced the connection. Do you know what that yellow wire is for anyway?

I wonder if my problems are related with the PCM

brentwoodkris 04-17-2013 04:30 PM

I doubt your problems are related to the PCM, but I've seen stranger things. I don't remember which wire the yellow one is, but there's probably a diagram of it on JG somewhere. The reason I say to check them is that I had a very similar problem, where I would only have problems starting when it was less than 35 outside. Anything warmer and it would be fine. But if it was 35 or less, it would sit there and I'd get the "click" but no turn over. I'd sit there trying and usually by like the 20th hold, I'd get her to turn over and start. Had the block heater installed *and had them double check the starter connection* and haven't had the problem since. That was like 1.5yrs ago...

outkrage 04-17-2013 04:40 PM

That's good to know but I don't think the "service park assist" and the whole [P][R][N][D] would happen with a lose connection...unless that yellow wire is shorted out.

I don't know. I might have to bite the bullet and spend the money to have the dealership try and find the problem...I'll have to wait for the next hot day so they can duplicate the problem