Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Next mod... CAI... which one? Voland, K&N, Air Raid? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/next-mod-cai-which-one-voland-k-and-n-air-raid-5780.html)

CougarCruiser 01-21-2010 10:58 AM

Next mod... CAI... which one? Voland, K&N, Air Raid?

2010, 5.7 Hemi... Getting my TB ported with Ryan (sending in next week).

I figure I ought to swap the intake since I'll already be digging around the intake.

No tuner is available yet... haven't picked an exhaust...

What should I expect/hope for out of only a CAI and ported TB mod? Much of anything?

Back to CAI's... I've narrowed it down to K&N 63 series, Air Raid, or the Volant.

Only the Volant is 'enclosed' which should keep the intake noise down - which I like.

Other than that, any idea what the key differences would be between systems?

All are within 5-10 bucks in price for me. (under 240-250 shipped to my door).

Ideas?

SRTILL8 01-21-2010 11:06 AM

Re: Next mod... CAI... which one? Voland, K&N, Air Raid?

im also interested in this..i want an enclosed box not just for sound but for anything H2O damage. glad u started this up, im leaning on the Volant as well.

this may sound silly but what would be done to the the other line going into a stock filter box when u switch to a CAI?

cheers-

Frankie 01-21-2010 11:34 AM

Why isnt BWoody on your list?!?!

I know some 5.7s have had problems fitting the VOLANT! Demaster tried and couldnt quite get it on his!

Frankie 01-21-2010 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtillaSRT8 (Post 136168)
this may sound silly but what would be done to the the other line going into a stock filter box when u switch to a CAI?

It has a spot to attach! ;)

Robert Palmer 01-21-2010 11:48 AM

Bwoody ftw.

I am buying another real soon. But this time the 4 inch.

Scottina06 01-21-2010 12:21 PM

I believe the Volant produces the best results other than the Bwood

1 GRAND 01-21-2010 12:21 PM

I would rather have the enclosed unit. I had a k&n on my f250 and I had alot of water issues with it.

When I would cross a puddle in the road and the water splashed the truck would start to miss.

CougarCruiser 01-21-2010 12:26 PM

Does anyone actually have the Volant on the 5.7?

I have heard it does work... Although, I did a search and saw that the issue for fitment was a radiator hose?

Any first hand, no-fit issues? I couldn't find a thread about it...

dsalinas 01-21-2010 12:30 PM

why not just put an air-raid jr. kit? It retains the stock air-box but just replaces the intake tube and filter. You get better flow, while retaining your cold air source enclosure, and save money. If I were to replace my current setup, I would go with the Volant.

pjs1965 01-21-2010 12:47 PM

Wait, doesn't the Predator (tuner) support the WK 5.7L now?

As for CAIs, they're all pretty much the same IMO within 5HP of each other which isn't going to make a big difference at the end of the day. Some look nicer than the others.

For the Bwoody, you can always get a drycharger if you're worried about hydro-locking. On the SRT8, the bwoody sits well within the lower fascia and behind the wheel well shield so it's not very prone to water issues. I don't think this is true on the 5.7L though. Then again I've never installed or had one on a 5.7L HEMI.

The Volant replaces the air box thus it should not suck hot air from the engine area (a real problem in stop-n-go traffic). I don't see why it wouldn't fit (WK is a WK right?). If you go with the VOLANT, check with the vendor to see if there's a restocking fee if you return it -- maybe they have some practical experience with it too.

You can always go the 'do-it-yourself' route. Buy some tubing, silicone sleeves, air filter, clamps. The only item you'll have to figure out is getting the IAT installed (easy to cut a hole in the tubing right?).

I'm not helping here am I :) Sorry.....

09WK 01-21-2010 12:57 PM

bwoody

Frankie 01-21-2010 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjs1965 (Post 136226)
Wait, doesn't the Predator (tuner) support the WK 5.7L now?

Just 05-08, Not the 09-10s :cool: