Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/)
-   -   Question about tire problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/question-about-tire-problems-57834.html)

tri0829 04-05-2013 01:27 PM

Question about tire problems

I went to get my rims put back on for summer I have 20in srt replicas but one of then too a good hit to the curb, well more the tire took a good hit. I asked the mechanic to check that it's alright and they told me that since the gash was down to the chords I would need to replace the tire. They then told me that since its a jeep all 4 tires would need to be replaced.

Does this sound right or are they trying to take advantage of me? The gash is about 2in wide and about half an inch deep.

Thanks for the help

tfranzone 04-05-2013 02:59 PM

Re: Question about tire problems

well its probably best to change the tire for sure.. you dont wanna mess with something like that.. godforbid something happens further to it at highway speeds...

as far as changing all 4.. thats up for debate.. it is BEST to change all 4.. bc it obviously makes things like rotations easier.. keeps all your tires wearing at the correct rate.. but you dont necessarily need to replace all 4 if the other 3 are in real good shape..(unless you just want new tires)

you could always change the one.. wait for the others to get worn more and then change all 4.. change all 4 and sell the other 3.. change all 4 and keep the other 3 just for extra tires sake. up to you, really. In my mind, the changing of all 4 at once just adds to the convienence of even wear and future replacements.

tri0829 04-05-2013 03:27 PM

Okay cool thanks for your response I agree about changing the one at the least that's why I even asked about it cause I didn't want to risk it.

I should probably mention the tred on all tires is at about 50% right now... What would you do replace all or just one? I was thinking too would it be dumb to replace 2 and then I'd just rotate the two so they wear evenly and I'd replace two at a time instead of 4?

dr.lee.baugh 04-05-2013 04:03 PM

Re: Question about tire problems

If the rest of your tires are at 50%, you shouldn't just change the one. One of the "pleasures" of an AWD vehicle!

The rolling diameter of the new tire will be significantly larger than the rest and will put undue stress on the driveline. Additionally, the difference in rotational speed could play havoc with the ABS/Traction control system causing it to activate prematurely (since the other three wheels will be detected as "spinning" since they are rotating faster).

This will be why the tire shop is advising you replace all 4...it's cheaper than a new transfer case...

End call is up to you...I wouldn't risk it.

tri0829 04-05-2013 07:50 PM

Alright thanks ill make sure to stay away from curbs from now on haha that's a $600 curb now