Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Stock brakes performance (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/stock-brakes-performance-5790.html)

i0r15 01-21-2010 04:39 PM

Stock brakes performance

Anybody getting "wobbly" brakes when doing a hard brake at high speed?
When ever I do ha hard brake going around 130Mph my brakes and brake pedal starts to wobble. I don't know if it's the brakes or the ABS struggling. when braking at 70 - 100 I never feel it. So what do you guys think it could be?? Brakes or ABS?

alsu3 01-21-2010 04:46 PM

Re: Stock brakes performance

130 mph?????????????? it sounds like your brakes are hot and makeing the disc warp a little.
p.s. you are crazy i dont take my jeep over 80mph

dcjeepgc 01-21-2010 04:46 PM

Have you considered a slightly worped (out of balance) rotor?

blackpepper 01-21-2010 04:47 PM

Ummm never done a hard brake from 130 mph but I would imagine that the heavy 5000 lb. suv has something to do with it.. that and the brakes probably aren't designed for such maneuvers.

B.P.O.D 01-21-2010 04:47 PM

never hit 130mph so not sure:)

sounds like either warped rotor or bad pads

pjs1965 01-21-2010 04:47 PM

No problems here . . . ;)
I'd have the brake rotors checked. Could be warped. Also ABS would cause a pulsing in the pedal -- maybe that's what you're experiencing?

blackpepper 01-21-2010 04:49 PM

Damn I felt the abs for the first time yesterday.. glad I have it!

brent 01-21-2010 05:03 PM

Ya, I can say that all my Jeeps have had warped rotors after about 20-25k. My last Jeep (commander) was so damn heavy that front brake problems seemed inevitable. I threw a set of Stillen Pillar Vanes on it and was really pleased with them. Although I traded it in for a WK about the time they were really broken in. I remember in my WJ, there was a recall on the rotors and I got them replaced for free. A nice bonus at the time... wish they'd recall these on my WK. I'm about to buy another set of rotors/pads and just replace them. I may just end up doing the Mopar kit for ~$170 for the fronts.

i0r15 01-21-2010 05:12 PM

Mine has only done 8500 miles, so I don't wanna think that the rotors are warped just yet.
It's an instant wobble when applying brakes....not like the brakes first heat up and then wobbles.
And yeah Peter. Pulsing in the pedal is exactly what I'm feeling. That's why I think it could be the ABS, struggling with the sheer weight of the WK. :)

I'll have the rotors checked anyway just to be safe. And maybe change to SRT brembos(anyone done this?).

Thanks all for your replies! :D

blackpepper 01-21-2010 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i0r15 (Post 136490)
Mine has only done 8500 miles, so I don't wanna think that the rotors are warped just yet.
It's an instant wobble when applying brakes....not like the brakes first heat up and then wobbles.
And yeah Peter. Pulsing in the pedal is exactly what I'm feeling. That's why I think it could be the ABS.

I'll have the rotors checked anyway just to be safe. And maybe change to SRT brembos(anyone done this?).

Thanks all for your replies! :D

Scottina06.. search his threads using the search feature... tons of info.

mon_21 01-21-2010 05:52 PM

may I ask why you doing a hard brake while doing 130 mph? and why you going that fast anyways?

i0r15 01-21-2010 06:22 PM

^^ LMAO....I'm not a speed freak. Simply streching the wk's legs a little. A hard brake test is something I try to do from time to time to ensure brakes are ok.

Ryan: Found it! Thanks bud!