Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Body side molding? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/body-side-molding-57907.html)

JWS360 04-06-2013 06:47 PM

Body side molding?

I may have missed this, but is there an option or way to add body side moldings to a 2014? Seems kinda dumb to leave the flanks totally unprotected from the bozos and door dingers out there.

While I generally park well away from the herd, there are times when the herd manages to find you. That's why I want door side moldings.

RageOfFury 04-06-2013 06:52 PM

Re: Body side molding?

Wait...you want to add those ugly chrome moldings? I've said this time and time again, those things are soooo 10 years ago. They really kill the look of the GC imo. But hey, If you want them, JustForJeeps.com sells them I believe.

JWS360 04-06-2013 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RageOfFury (Post 797619)
Wait...you want to add those ugly chrome moldings? I've said this time and time again, those things are soooo 10 years ago. They really kill the look of the GC imo. But hey, If you want them, JustForJeeps.com sells them I believe.

I care less about the supposedly "dated" look then some & much prefer to avoid door dings. I suppose one could have them sanded & painted to match the body color. I don't understand the smooth body look. Nice in a showroom, but not so practical in the real world.

Besides, what's "dated" today is "in style" tomorrow. I checked "Just for Jeeps". Under $200. Not bad. Thanks.

GBJeep 04-06-2013 07:03 PM

Someone is selling theirs in the classified section here.

GBJeep 04-06-2013 07:10 PM

Sorry about that...When I double checked the ad I see they sold last night. :(

tony4311 04-06-2013 07:21 PM

Odds are they won't be any help if someone dings your car. What are the odds of their car door actually lining up with the molding? Start parking by cars and eyeballing the highest point of the door and you'll notice they're all over the place as far as where they line up on your jeep.

DirtyDuc83 04-06-2013 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony4311 (Post 797644)
Odds are they won't be any help if someone dings your car. What are the odds of their car door actually lining up with the molding? Start parking by cars and eyeballing the highest point of the door and you'll notice they're all over the place as far as where they line up on your jeep.

This!

I was hesitant about taking mine of as well....but after parking next to quite a few different vehicles, the likelihood of the trim proving any type of protection is slim to none. If you look at the shape of any rear car doors, almost all have a pointed area that extends over the rear wheel and is well above the chrome trim.

Your only real protection is parking far from any other cars...but you'll still have that one car that decides they want to park right next to you when there is a sea of open spots elsewhere.

JWS360 04-06-2013 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony4311 (Post 797644)

Could be. I had them added to my current 2011 335xi. Thinking ahead to a likely Overland in the fall. Not thrilled about seat heaters buried in some menu screen, though.

I figure that by waiting more of the bugs & software issues will be worked out. Or so I hope.....

jgc4ever 04-06-2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWS360 (Post 797659)
Could be. I had them added to my current 2011 335xi. Thinking ahead to a likely Overland in the fall. Not thrilled about seat heaters buried in some menu screen, though.

I figure that by waiting more of the bugs & software issues will be worked out. Or so I hope.....

You can get an equally equipped 2013 for $5,000 or more less than a 2014. 2013 has hard drive, CD player in the Nav/Stereo, USB in the middle console, AUX jack in the front of the radio, auto-stick, normal stick shift, no fake black plastic under the headlights, HIDs on Limited standard, nicer looking 20 inch wheels, flipper glass, less chance of "bugs", body side molding, a fuel cap, and is nicer looking.

JWS360 04-06-2013 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgc4ever (Post 797685)
You can get an equally equipped 2013 for $5,000 or more less than a 2014. 2013 has hard drive, CD player in the Nav/Stereo, USB in the middle console, AUX jack in the front of the radio, auto-stick, normal stick shift, no fake black plastic under the headlights, HIDs on Limited standard, nicer looking 20 inch wheels, flipper glass, less chance of "bugs", body side molding, a fuel cap, and is nicer looking.

Hmmm... Might have been possible, but the lease on the 335 doesn't run until the fall.

Not surprised on the normal stick shift. If I recall right BMW uses essentially the same transmission as the 2014, which requires the electronic shifter.

jgc4ever 04-06-2013 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWS360 (Post 797692)
Hmmm... Might have been possible, but the lease on the 335 doesn't run until the fall.

Not surprised on the normal stick shift. If I recall right BMW uses essentially the same transmission as the 2014, which requires the electronic shifter.

Well the 2014 is still a great looking vehicle and drives very nice. I like the way the paddle shifter work too. Enjoy your new Grand Cherokee in the fall and I hope it has few or no bugs.