Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Thoughts on getting Service at Different Dealer than Purchase ? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/thoughts-on-getting-service-at-different-dealer-than-purchase-57931.html)

Beski 04-07-2013 10:37 AM

Thoughts on getting Service at Different Dealer than Purchase ?

I may have found a Summit with the exact color & build that I am looking for, but it's about 1 hour & 15 minutes away. I have 2 local Dealers that are only about 20 and 30 minutes away.

"If" I can get a great deal and buy this Summit off the lot, is it still OK to go to either of the closer Dealers for my oil changes and warranty service ?

(Note: Both of these closer Dealers were not able to give me a good deal below invoice when I was looking to order - and they don't have the build I am looking for - but not sure if the Service Dept. would ever know this ?)

I know any Jeep Dealer will do this service, but do I lose some of my "leverage" by not taking the vehicle back to where I bought it ? Will the other Dealers be less likely to "go the extra mile" if I do have a problem ?

Just wondering if an extra $750 to $1,000 in savings now will be worth it in the long run ?

Thanks,
Tom

drwilki2 04-07-2013 10:43 AM

Re: Thoughts on getting Service at Different Dealer than Purchase ?

Warranty work and all maintenance can be performed at any authorized Jeep dealer, regardless of where you purchased the vehicle.

drwilki2 04-07-2013 10:46 AM

Also, there is no leverage as you speak. Warranty work is coded as warranty work, regardless of which jeep dealer you go to. The quality of service depends on the service lot, not necessarily where you purchased the vehicle from. Some dealers it seems, have low quality control.

etennyson 04-07-2013 10:46 AM

I did this exact thing....bought from a dealership located over an hour away....but I have a dealership within 2 miles of my house and another within 10 miles. Ive never had an issue with them. Not sure youll lose leverage.

However, I purchased an oil change "deal" from the original dealer and its not transferable....I knew better though :)

SnoFire 04-07-2013 10:50 AM

I will be doing the same thing when I get mine. I bought from an hour away and have 2 dealers within 10 minutes of my house, no biggie..

AbleRiot 04-07-2013 10:51 AM

You should ask the NY/NJ/PA buyers from the DC Group Buy. In time, I will be buying at DC but will be going to NJ dealerships for servie.

Warranty can be performed at any Jeep Dealership and can't really BS you on it - it's the quality of work from the service department that you should check in to though.

scooterha 04-07-2013 11:43 AM

Actually warranty work can be done at any Dodge, Jeep or Chrysler authorized dealer. Bought my Jeep from a place an hour away have a local Jeep dealership 5 minutes from my house. I drive another two minutes to the Dodge dealership for service....

bill_de 04-07-2013 01:11 PM

Service departments make good money for the dealerships. It doesn't matter if it's cash or warranty, they make money. They don't care if you bought the Jeep on Mars.

FAUEE 04-07-2013 01:16 PM

I bought from a dealer 8 hours away. They shipped it to me on a truck for $250. Service can be done by any CJD dealership. If the dealership doesn't want to work on your car because you didn't buy it from them, report them to Chrysler's customer support - they don't deserve to have a dealer franchise (and can have it revoked).

T-Ride 04-07-2013 02:00 PM

It should be looked at by that dealer as having a chance to gain your loyalty by giving you great service and then you might buy from them next time. I'd even go as far as to mention it to them that way.

Bostondan77 04-07-2013 03:08 PM

i bought my car in nj and bring it to a dealer here in ny and also a diffrent dealer in nj.... absolute no problems and they are happy to help me and ive been going there for small things like oil changes so they are glad to help...the only time i would go back to the dealer of purchase would be for a major concern or problem....

the ONLY issue i have is the loaner car program.... some dealers dont honor other dealers programs and you have to rent... Chrysler says they will refund but honestly who wants to deal with them....

id say go for it and as a plus they are more likely to work out a better price with you because you are so far that they may or may not sell you another one.... so if they can atleast put you in this one they chalk it up as they sold the car and hope you come back..my opinion....good luck!

ColdCase 04-07-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 798091)
Service departments make good money for the dealerships. It doesn't matter if it's cash or warranty, they make money. They don't care if you bought the Jeep on Mars.

Exactly this.