Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   When i turn the heat on sound like a pulley is rattling? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/when-i-turn-the-heat-on-sound-like-a-pulley-is-rattling-57982.html)

Brokenspokes00 04-08-2013 08:33 AM

When i turn the heat on sound like a pulley is rattling?

It is a 06 with the 3.7 anyone ever run into this? Ive searched and searched but all answers just beat around the bush

dr.lee.baugh 04-08-2013 08:49 AM

Re: When i turn the heat on sound like a pulley is rattling?

You'll have to be more specific.

What do you mean by turning the heat on? Do you mean turning on the blower motor, or turning up the temperature, or selecting a certain vent position?

What climate control system do you have (automatic or manual)?

Brokenspokes00 04-08-2013 09:15 AM

Sorry about that its when I actually tune the heat on the one that adjust the fan speed or blower motor and it is manual (turn knobs)

Brokenspokes00 04-08-2013 09:22 AM

The noise is def coming from the front end pulley are and will stop when you shut the blower motor off turn it on and the noise comes back almost sounds like when an alternator bearing go junk

Brokenspokes00 04-08-2013 09:25 AM

It very well could be the alternator with that added load? I apologize for all the post lol I have read about the alternators before....what are your thoughts? And thank you or your patience :)

jrjeep 04-08-2013 10:06 AM

replace the faulty pulley

dr.lee.baugh 04-08-2013 02:27 PM

I wouldn't imagine that amount of load would affect the alternator...

Are you sure it isn't coming from the AC compressor? Depending on the HVAC settings, the compressor can come on to dry the air and could make a noise like you describe. You should be able to watch the AC clutch engage and disengage as the compressor cycles and see if the noise is coming from one of those two states.

Brokenspokes00 04-08-2013 04:40 PM

I will def look into that it makes sense what you are saying ill let you know if that is the case thank you for the help!

Brokenspokes00 04-09-2013 05:03 PM

So it is def. the a/c compressor pulley/clutch when the blower motor gets turned on it actuats it and when it's off the noise goes away... Can you replace just the pulley and or clutch?

BoxerMom9 04-11-2013 12:29 PM

I have the same model, and same problem. Been looking for just the ac clutch, but it seems it's a whole system having a hard time finding just the pulley/clutch. If you happen to find just that part and dont mind posting it, it would be much appreciated. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brokenspokes00 (Post 799839)
So it is def. the a/c compressor pulley/clutch when the blower motor gets turned on it actuats it and when it's off the noise goes away... Can you replace just the pulley and or clutch?

Brokenspokes00 04-11-2013 01:06 PM

I've been doing the same research and from what i can understand its more trouble then it's worth to try to replace just the pulley and or clutch....also I've read that it may be the bearing so go figure changers pulley or clutch and find out it's the bearing that would be a total bummer! So I found new a/c compressors complete assembly's for around 225-325 which IMO is worth it to go that route an also less troublesome... Depending on your budget could also vary that...I would also recommend putting a new let on while your at and keep the old as a spare I've done that on all my jeeps and its saved me many times.....hope this helps you and good luck!

Josh

BoxerMom9 04-11-2013 01:13 PM

My friend said similiar thing, the whole unit, installed i think somewhere around $500.
? for you, do you notice a slight rattle when you accelerate also?

I changed my belt, because it was sqeeling terribly, so that went away, but when I turn the ac on (only ac, not heat) it sqeals for a sec bad and goes away. Then will randomly squal while driving. (Embarrasing!) So, my friend said the ac clutch looks rusted etc which is where we have it narrowed down to. And cant find just the pulley only the unit w clutch :( Just dont wanna spend the $ on that and have the same thing happening. THinking of doing the ac compressor and belt tensioner. Dont mean to highjack, just curious cause problem sounds pretty similiar.

You also said: "would also recommend putting a new let" did you mean belt? :) Thanks for any info.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brokenspokes00 (Post 801372)
I've been doing the same research and from what i can understand its more trouble then it's worth to try to replace just the pulley and or clutch....also I've read that it may be the bearing so go figure changers pulley or clutch and find out it's the bearing that would be a total bummer! So I found new a/c compressors complete assembly's for around 225-325 which IMO is worth it to go that route an also less troublesome... Depending on your budget could also vary that...I would also recommend putting a new let on while your at and keep the old as a spare I've done that on all my jeeps and its saved me many times.....hope this helps you and good luck!

Josh