Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   POST 2014 V8 MPG's (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/post-2014-v8-mpgs-57993.html)

gcbimmer 04-08-2013 12:40 PM

POST 2014 V8 MPG's
 
Looking for 2014 V8 MPG's from new owners. If you could please post your City & Highway miles and whether you drive like an old lady, a 17 year old on streoids or somewhere in between.
Thanks!!

PMD G8 04-08-2013 02:17 PM

Re: POST 2014 V8 MPG's
 
Normal driving, however mostly HWY miles, average is between 16-16.5.

TexFJ 04-08-2013 03:31 PM

Re: POST 2014 V8 MPG's
 
3 fill-ups, with about 70% HWY/30% City driving, in hilly and twisty roads.

1<SUP>st</SUP> tank = 15.6 MPG<O:p></O:p>
2<SUP>nd</SUP> tank = 16.1MPG <O:p></O:p>
3<SUP>rd</SUP> tank = 17.6 MPG (Avg. 20.1 HWY on a 125 mile trip, when I first filled up) <O:p></O:p>

I’m pretty happy with those numbers so far, and now that I’m a little past the 1000 mile break-in, and my foot is getting a little heavier, I’m hoping the numbers equalize to about 16.5MPG or so.

rubicontrail.net 04-08-2013 03:56 PM

Re: POST 2014 V8 MPG's
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by PMD G8 (Post 798801)
Normal driving, however mostly HWY miles, average is between 16-16.5.

Hmmm seems like the 8 speed doesn't add much as far as fuel economy goes. My "aerodynamic as a refrigerator box" Commander, with the non-VVT HEMI gets 16.4 mpg on the highway.

Have you checked your tire pressures since you picked up your Jeep, often they are delivered by the dealership a bit underinflated to "improve" the softness of the ride.

Specx 04-08-2013 04:45 PM

Re: POST 2014 V8 MPG's
 
Averaging 14-15 MPG and I'm doing roughly 80% City 20% Hwy. Just broke 900 miles last night.

PMD G8 04-08-2013 06:32 PM

Re: POST 2014 V8 MPG's
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rubicontrail.net (Post 798859)
Hmmm seems like the 8 speed doesn't add much as far as fuel economy goes. My "aerodynamic as a refrigerator box" Commander, with the non-VVT HEMI gets 16.4 mpg on the highway.

Have you checked your tire pressures since you picked up your Jeep, often they are delivered by the dealership a bit underinflated to "improve" the softness of the ride.

Tire pressure is at 39/40. Need to check and see what is recommended.

My wife's 2011 Hemi could only manage 15.4 so this is an improvement even if its not much.

LSU_FAN 04-08-2013 11:54 PM

Re: POST 2014 V8 MPG's
 
My wife averaged 17.8 one the first tank, mostly city and I use that tern loosely as we live in a small town not a city. I have no doubt it would be lower if I were driving it. Something else to note is that mine is a 2wd and I noticed the guys posting before me have 4wd's.

gcbimmer 04-09-2013 09:18 AM

Re: POST 2014 V8 MPG's
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TexFJ (Post 798833)
3 fill-ups, with about 70% HWY/30% City driving, in hilly and twisty roads.

1<SUP>st</SUP> tank = 15.6 MPG<O:p></O:p>
2<SUP>nd</SUP> tank = 16.1MPG <O:p></O:p>
3<SUP>rd</SUP> tank = 17.6 MPG (Avg. 20.1 HWY on a 125 mile trip, when I first filled up) <O:p></O:p>

Iím pretty happy with those numbers so far, and now that Iím a little past the 1000 mile break-in, and my foot is getting a little heavier, Iím hoping the numbers equalize to about 16.5MPG or so.

Nice to see that the MPG's are going up. Getting ready to pull the trigger on a Limited. Looks like it might come down to a coin toss on the V8 or V6. I don't put many miles on my vehicle, so it would be about a $35 a month extra fuel cost and the $2k option charge for the V8.

Northland 04-09-2013 07:37 PM

Re: POST 2014 V8 MPG's
 
Last couple of fillups I checked my mileage; it was about 11 - all city driving; but I drive with Eco mode off and my right foot in it up to my kneecap. That's why I got the Hemi. :D

rubicontrail.net 04-10-2013 10:39 AM

Re: POST 2014 V8 MPG's
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by PMD G8 (Post 798991)
Tire pressure is at 39/40. Need to check and see what is recommended.

My wife's 2011 Hemi could only manage 15.4 so this is an improvement even if its not much.

Hmmm I get 15.5mpg in my stop and go commute on the Commander. I consistenly get above 16mpg when the driving is all highway. Your wifes HEMI really should have been getting better since you had the VVT and a much more aerodynamic vehicle.

My tires are inflated to 36psi at 70F. One thing is, I am not running stock tires. I have the Goodyear Silent Armors. I would have thought that would have actually hurt my mileage since since they are a size bigger than stock and have a more aggressive tread.

What elevation are you at? My home elevation is 1100ft.

Other possible variations are that I run Mobil 1 full synthetic.

It's just kind of disappointing that all the things like VVT, a more aerodynamic body, and a much more modern transmission, don't appear to be really helping the HEMI mileage.

ChrisUCF99 04-10-2013 12:55 PM

Re: POST 2014 V8 MPG's
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by PMD G8 (Post 798801)
Normal driving, however mostly HWY miles, average is between 16-16.5.

This

JTS97Z28 04-10-2013 02:35 PM

Re: POST 2014 V8 MPG's
 
Ouch, seeing these real world numbers so far does not help in favor of the V8 for my decision on which motor to get. I know the V8 was not gonna be good on fuel, but those numbers are almost disappointing. Well I guess since time isnt an issue for me, waiting for a used diesel later down the road could be a good decision.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community