Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   Sound from Rearend (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/sound-from-rearend-57995.html)

MolsonBeaver 04-08-2013 01:07 PM

Sound from Rearend

Hey Everyone,
I am new the the forum and am hoping you guys can help me diagnose an issue i am having with my 05 WK Limited. I bought the Jeep 9 months ago with 80k on it. I now have 103k. Within a month i had all bearings in the rear diff replaced due to one of them cracking. Since i have owned it i have heard a whirling/humming coming from the rear end. My mechanic tried to convince me it was my new tires.

Long story short i know its not the suspension and it cant be rear diff. Only other thing i can think of is the Rear wheel bearings. which i noticed a forum on here showing how to replace them. Does anyone have any other ideas? its raining currently or i would record and post a video of noise.

dr.lee.baugh 04-08-2013 02:23 PM

Re: Sound from Rearend

Depending on how the rear diff was replaced, it certainly could make a humming noise...for example, if the bearing preload was not set correctly it would likely still whine at speed. Was it a complete rebuild, or did they just change some parts?

Does the humming vary with throttle on/off?

Does the noise alter when loading one bearing by turning?

If it varies with throttle application, it's most likely in the diff.

If it varies as you turn, then it is likely a wheel bearing.

MolsonBeaver 04-08-2013 02:51 PM

The rear diff was not a complete rebuild, however every bearing was replaced. as well as crush sleaves and oil/ lsd additive

The sound increases with speed but does not change when i let off the throttle.

I have noticed no change when turning and i have put it on jack stands and did the push/pull test and noticed no wobble. Tire tread has also not been affected.

Wheel bearing / hub aren't super expensive to replace should i just start there? at 103k miles they prob will need done eventually. Timken?

dr.lee.baugh 04-08-2013 08:50 PM

If you can do the labour yourself, yes, swapping out the rear bearings wouldn't be a bad idea (and, as you say, not all that expensive).

I replaced my front hubs with Timken about 40,000kms ago, and they seemed to hold up well so far.

MolsonBeaver 04-08-2013 10:00 PM

Yes i can do the labor myself. I guess i will order some wheel bearings and let you all know the results.

MolsonBeaver 04-25-2013 05:11 PM

Well I replaced both rear hubs/wheel bearings today and the hum is still there. Running out of ideas. Sound starts at 30mph and gradually gets louder with speed. I may be repeating myself but letting off gas makes no difference. Sound is there as long as I am moving.