Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems Discussion (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/)
-   -   Please help!! Rough idle,stall, piston mosfire (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/please-help-rough-idle-stall-piston-mosfire-58084.html)

nick1146 04-09-2013 02:50 PM

Please help!! Rough idle,stall, piston mosfire

Hi guys. I have a 2007 4.7 v8 grand Cherokee that has been giving me a big issue. I hooked my jeep up to a scan tool and I get the piston misfire code. When cold my engine runs fine but once it gets hot it starts to idle really rough. Sometimes is goes down to 4-500 rpm and eventually stalls. Also I'll be randomly driving and my jeep starts to shutter very violently and I lose power and the engine light will flicker on and off and eventually stay solid.. I just got the engine replaced an I have about 5,000 on the new engine and 94000 on everything else. I know it's not the spark plugs, and I checked for a vaccume leak and it doesn't seem to have one. Also somtimes when I start my car there is a loud metal clinking sound. It's kind of hard to describe but it sounds like there's a piece of metal in the exhaust or somthing. please if anyone could help of have had this problem before please help.

nick1146 04-09-2013 03:03 PM

Also the misfire doesn't happen every time I drive but it happens often. Same with the rough idle

nick1146 04-10-2013 04:19 PM

Anybody? Somebody help????

jon carthay 04-17-2015 02:03 PM

Re: Please help!! Rough idle,stall, piston mosfire

sounds like TIPM may need replacing, but not sure. Could be ignition key and switch, fuel pump, crankshaft position indicator sensor, coils on top of plugs. Very frustrating! I have similar issue on 2007. Cold start is fine. When warm sometimes it doesn't want to start...just shudders. Then finally starts & runs fine.

Frango100 04-17-2015 06:33 PM

When the engine runs fine cold, but starts to idle rough when hot, then it could be a bad O2 sensor. On a cold engine, the O2 sensor readings are not used by the PCM ( open loop mode), but as soon as the sensor is hot enough, the PCM will use the O2 readings( closed loop mode). A bad sensor could cause a too lean mixture and cause misfires due to this. You will need a scanner with live data to see if the O2 sensors (1-1 and 2-1) are fluctuating frequently between 0.2 and 0.8 V. Then you can also check the fuel trim figures, which should give single digit values. (Normalley they are around +- 5% during stable operation. When going over 10%, then there is probablly something wrong).
A blocked exhaust (loose baffle in silencer or a plugged converter) could also cause rough idle and bad acceleration.
As a third item, which many times is related to heat, is a bad crank sensor.

zielketracy 04-17-2015 07:00 PM

Mine problem was in the cold winter coil went out so to cold out I took it to shop and this grease monkey checked the crank position sen first that was ok found coil shot so replace I picked it up got a block away n noticed it missing bad went back to them to make it rite they parked it in a HEATED garage in the morning it started fine they parked outside for 5hrs when I drove it away missing and the more gas the worse it got till it was at normal temp for 5 ta10 min then fine so in the spring I pulled the crnk position sen n scene GREASY FINGER PRINTS all over the scencer replaced it and its been great ever scents