Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f197/)
-   -   Headlights/Bulbs/Fog Lamps... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f197/headlights-bulbs-fog-lamps-58179.html)

MadPainter 04-10-2013 09:03 PM

Headlights/Bulbs/Fog Lamps...

I have looked through a bunch of posts here about this topic but they are all old and some of the links do not work anymore. I just replaced my headlights with some aftermarket "stock looking" one's that I'm ok with but think there are others that are better. I'm looking for input on some aftermarket one's that are better then average for lighting.

I also want to get some really bright bulbs but not anything with a colored tent to them. Been thinking about HID's but not so sure about if I want to go that far with this one right now.

I have also been dying to get some new fog lights to match the factory one's and would love a clear lens but haven't been able to find anything.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

TheStreet16 04-11-2013 02:16 AM

Gen 3 or Gen 4 are gonna be your best bet for lighting. As for bulbs HID are the way to go. You can get them in 5000k (whitish) 6000k (white) or 8000k (blueish).

Gus9890 04-16-2013 11:14 PM

Re: Headlights/Bulbs/Fog Lamps...

try carid.com, it'll give ya a better feel for what's out there and they're pretty good.

TJXJWJ 04-17-2013 12:46 PM

The gen 3 projector housing is what I've got with 5000k HIDs. They are a crisp white...no blue tint at all. For an OE style housing, the best you're probably going to do is a Silverstar Ultra bulb.

As for fogs, if you have an 03 or older, I can't help ya...but if you've got an 04, they take the same housings the WK's do and can be found all over ebay with clear lenses and projectors. Here's a shot of my fogs:

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/...ng/Foghalo.jpg

JustDontBlink 04-22-2013 10:23 PM

After some research I found these one & two. I was wondering if any of you guys have hand any exprience with any of these model because I can't seem to find a user review. I don't think that I am going to go with CCFLs this time around, mainly because I don't see my self having this particular vehicle for too much longer so I don't want to put too much money into it. I'm basically using this as a platform for the summer since its the first time I'm doing any customizations and next year I'll hopefully have a WK2 to work on. They seem to be HID compatible though with 6000Ks in the package I just want to know if the prices are too good to be true lol

I'm personally leaning towards the look of the first set however I think that the second pair has a better set up with the indicator lights

TJXJWJ 04-23-2013 06:33 AM

I've had them both. The one you refer to as #1 is called a Generation 3 projector, and the one you have marked #2 is a Generation 2 projector. Personally, I like the Gen 3 better...it's closer to a stock look. It's all about what you like though, both are made the same and I noticed no quality differences between the two. As for price, that does seem like a VERY good price, so I have to assume the HID kit that comes with it is somewhat crappy. IF you're looking to sell though, I'm not so sure it's worth shopping higher quality HIDs. I got my HID kit from XenonDepot (one of the vendors here on the boards) and have not had one single issue with them other than a corroded relay that got eaten by road salt.

JustDontBlink 04-23-2013 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJXJWJ (Post 809764)
I've had them both. The one you refer to as #1 is called a Generation 3 projector, and the one you have marked #2 is a Generation 2 projector. Personally, I like the Gen 3 better...it's closer to a stock look. It's all about what you like though, both are made the same and I noticed no quality differences between the two. As for price, that does seem like a VERY good price, so I have to assume the HID kit that comes with it is somewhat crappy. IF you're looking to sell though, I'm not so sure it's worth shopping higher quality HIDs. I got my HID kit from XenonDepot (one of the vendors here on the boards) and have not had one single issue with them other than a corroded relay that got eaten by road salt.

Thanks for your help. I will probably go with the Gen 3s then.

I've seen a that a few people have had some trouble keeping their aftermarket units water tight. What is the proper sealant to use on these casings? I want to make sure that it can withstand the heat if the lights were to get hot.

TJXJWJ 04-23-2013 08:31 AM

No issues here dude...mine have been as tight as a frog's ass through all kinds of weather. I think that was a problem early on when they first came out, but not recently. If they do leak for whatever reason, there is a butyl rubber type product out there from 3M called WindoWeld. That's what I used to re-seal mine after I opened them up to cover up that god-awful orange reflector :) No leaks before, no leaks after.

Gus9890 04-23-2013 08:44 AM

Gen 3's are better and as you can see, TJXJWJ doe NOT like orange reflectors at all lol

TJXJWJ 04-23-2013 11:54 AM

Grrrrrrrr....amber....I won't even tip strippers named that....and that's a lot of strippers.

TheStreet16 04-23-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJXJWJ (Post 810018)
Grrrrrrrr....amber....I won't even tip strippers named that....and that's a lot of strippers.

Would you marry a stripper named Carbon Fiber?

Cause then you could say you loved Carbon Fiber and you could get "dipped" into CF every night....if you wanted too lol

TJXJWJ 04-23-2013 12:33 PM

Finally! Someone on this board that UNDERSTANDS ME!