Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   Engine light..sensor..coolant..pump?! Help! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/engine-light-sensor-coolant-pump-help-58229.html)

tfranzone 04-11-2013 06:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
4.7L 08. With 53K on it. Been getting a crap idle for a few days. Driving and the battery light comes on steering tightens and gauge goes up. Figured belt broke. What it was was the water pump. The bearing on the pump seized and blew obviously messing with the belt. Put a new A1 cardone water pump in

Attachment 22371

I think I'm all good now. NOPE. Temp gauge shoots up.. Here's the deal. Coolant is NOT hot at all. Then engine light comes on. I plug it in at autozone. Throws me a code for the coolant temperature sensor. of course can only get that from the dealer. Jeep won't start now. So would you all agree its the sensor??

dr.lee.baugh 04-11-2013 10:13 PM

Re: Engine light..sensor..coolant..pump?! Help!

Are you sure you got all the air out after replacing the pump?

If there is enough air in the system, it will certainly not circulate the coolant properly.

You could also check the thermostat. If that is stuck it will not allow proper coolant flow.

I doubt there is actually anything wrong with the sensor, as the coolant should still get hot (even if the sensor is garbage) since the thermostat is mechanical and not electrical.

tfranzone 04-12-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr.lee.baugh (Post 801802)
Are you sure you got all the air out after replacing the pump?

If there is enough air in the system, it will certainly not circulate the coolant properly.

You could also check the thermostat. If that is stuck it will not allow proper coolant flow.

I doubt there is actually anything wrong with the sensor, as the coolant should still get hot (even if the sensor is garbage) since the thermostat is mechanical and not electrical.

I checked for air. Squeezed the hoses for a while. Got it all out and refilled with coolant. Had to be the sensor bc I was getting a sensor error code. And get this.. I'm thinking well FML dealer is gonna crush me for this sensor in price probably. My GFs brother has a buddy with a garage where he rebuilds R titles from the south and resells them ... He has a wrecked WK. we took the sensor from that, put it in my WK and presto! Good as new.

So seems problem was.. Needed new water pump and new coolant temp sensor.
No noise coming from engine now. No crappy idle noise. And temp gauge is just under halfway like normal. Got a little lucky thankfully with the sensor in the wreck the guy had sitting around.

hummer recovery team 04-12-2013 01:25 PM

What was the crappy idle doing just shaky?

tfranzone 04-14-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hummer recovery team (Post 802152)
What was the crappy idle doing just shaky?

A little shaky and noisy. Not a smooth running sound. It was bc of that bearing that broke on the water pump.. It knocked the belt off center and something was seizing up too.

2005JGC 04-15-2013 06:43 PM

Re: Engine light..sensor..coolant..pump?! Help!

You really do need to remove the bleed plug on the top of the front cover and bleed it properly... if it bled by squeezing the hose they wouldn't have engineered a bleed screw in it. The 4.7l and 3.7l will NOT just gravity bleed. Glad you got it all fixed up though!