Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Off Road Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f42/)
-   -   Crystal Lakes and Peak 10 Colorado trail experiences (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f42/crystal-lakes-and-peak-10-colorado-trail-experiences-58243.html)

CIEGOS 04-11-2013 10:06 PM

Crystal Lakes and Peak 10 Colorado trail experiences

I have a 2011 WK2 overland with air suspension and i was wondering if the jeep would have a problem with going on either Crystal Lakes or Peak 10 trails in Colorado near Breckenridge. My planed upgrades to the jeep is getting a set of 18'' wheels with tires tbd, skid plates, and tow hooks. Can anyone who as driven either trail lend me their thoughts or experience on the trails? Thank you in advance. :)

VistaCruiser 04-12-2013 04:08 PM

Re: Crystal Lakes and Peak 10 Colorado trail experiences

Check out traildamage.com, good site to find trail ratings/descriptions. When are you planning to head that way?

Sam

CIEGOS 04-12-2013 10:37 PM

That was the site how i found the trail. Great site :) Late July is the plan. I was hoping most of the snow would be gone.

VistaCruiser 04-18-2013 11:40 AM

Well, if they have Mosquito Pass @ 4, it should be fairly easy. I'm mostly a weekday wheeler, but let me know closer to the actual trip date & I'll head out with ya. Gorgeous area out there, still lots for me to explore.

Sam

CIEGOS 04-24-2013 02:48 PM

I have read a lot about Red Cone. How difficult is that trail? I am a little intimidated to take the '11 grand cherokee on that trail. Thoughts?

VistaCruiser 04-25-2013 09:07 PM

Extreme exposure seems to be the general consensus on that trail. Might be a little more than I'd take a nicer ride on.

Sam

No One 05-07-2013 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CIEGOS (Post 810828)
I have read a lot about Red Cone. How difficult is that trail? I am a little intimidated to take the '11 grand cherokee on that trail. Thoughts?

Red Cone begins as a tight, narrow, winding, rocky "trail" ...more like a wash for the first half mile, then it is a scenic open expanse. However, probably would not wanna take a '14 GC unless you leave the suspension up permanently and slap on some 33's...view the pics

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f42/red-co...rks-45397.html

Back in '06, I took a rented GC(4.7-QDII) with some weenie street tires over Mosquito Pass, so a stock '14 GC should be able to manage. Basically your Jeep is capable to traverse any of the roads on traildamage up to a high end rating of 4 with realtive ease.

VistaCruiser 05-07-2013 07:25 PM

Hey Lou! Lets get together sometime & get some dirt (beer)!

Sam

No One 05-07-2013 07:35 PM

Once I resolve the front diff issue, lets do it.

CIEGOS 05-07-2013 10:02 PM

Thank you for the comments. I think I am going to run Peak 10 and Mosquito Pass. :)

VistaCruiser 05-16-2013 12:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Mosquito is gorgeous. Enjoy!

Sam

CIEGOS 05-22-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VistaCruiser (Post 806534)
Well, if they have Mosquito Pass @ 4, it should be fairly easy. I'm mostly a weekday wheeler, but let me know closer to the actual trip date & I'll head out with ya. Gorgeous area out there, still lots for me to explore.

Sam

I may take you up on your offer. A driver with Colorado offroad experience would be nice. Living Iowa the best I can do is mud. :)