Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   2013 BMW X5 vs 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/2013-bmw-x5-vs-2014-jeep-grand-cherokee-58277.html)

Sleestak 04-12-2013 02:30 PM

2013 BMW X5 vs 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee

I have had several BMW's and each generation of the Grand Cherokee, most notably, the 2014 limited. I just traded my 2013 six weeks after I got it. Call me crazy or just "Sleez" for short. Curious what people are thinking about this subject. I personally feel the 2014 JGC has earned the right to be mentioned amongst the German brand SUVs including the X5. Having had both, I simply feel it's more capable and much better looking to say the least. Any other thoughts between the two? Sure, the X5 is a great vehicle but in addition to the exterior, the interior is less then to be desired.....and I love BMW's but for the $, no thanks....at least for now anyway...

SnoFire 04-12-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestak (Post 802210)
I have had several BMW's and each generation of the Grand Cherokee, most notably, the 2014 limited. I just traded my 2013 six weeks after I got it. Call me crazy or just "Sleez" for short. Curious what people are thinking about this subject. I personally feel the 2014 JGC has earned the right to be mentioned amongst the German brand SUVs including the X5. Having had both, I simply feel it's more capable and much better looking to say the least. Any other thoughts between the two? Sure, the X5 is a great vehicle but in addition to the exterior, the interior is less then to be desired.....and I love BMW's but for the $, no thanks....at least for now anyway...

For what you can get on a Jeep, the BMW is way more expensive. Can't see why BMW charges you $500 or so if you want a different color paint, plus maintenance is expensive. Germans make good things, but expensive.

Sleestak 04-12-2013 03:12 PM

Re: 2013 BMW X5 vs 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee

I was very seriously considring the X5 but was not going to pay more than what the 2014 JGC costs. Clearly, it was gonna be a preowned vehicle, so that's why I opted for the 2014 JGC which was roughly the same price as a used X5 with 33k mikes on it!

jeep2011 04-12-2013 03:26 PM

Having owned many luxury and non luxury brands there are subtle differences on the luxury brands that Jeep doesn't provide, are they worth it? I guess it depends on the person.

I would have to say the base V6 on the X5 is worth a lot just in it self...moves the vehicle in 6.2seconds (1 sec quicker than the HEMI even) but returns identical gas mileage as the pentastar. That is a huge difference...will you ever make up the difference in gas savings? Absolutely not!

Next I would say driving dynamics and materials used are better. The Jeep is a cruiser and offers nice leather wrapped panels, but the rest of the buttons and plastics are not as nice as some other luxury brands.

All in all the Jeep has come a long way and is a great value. Will it be deemed a luxury brand one day? Who knows, but it has a lot of skeptics to overcome.

mreichmann 04-12-2013 03:49 PM

Not sure I would agree. I've just come out of a 2012 Benz ML350 into a '14 Summit, and the quality of interior materials as well as switch gear is superior on the Jeep, and not by just a little. The Benz is high quality, but the Summit's level of fit and finish is beyond expectation.

Performance? Only had mine a day, but oh that Hemi! Looking forward to the break-in period to be over.

Also, drove two hours in an ice storm today on highways and secondary country roads. I've never been in a more surefooted vehicle, except maybe the original Toureg.

One final thought. The V8 Summit has real honest-to-god hydrolic power steering instead of the fly-by-wire found on most cars. What a joy.

Michael

headrushNJ 04-12-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestak (Post 802210)
I have had several BMW's and each generation of the Grand Cherokee, most notably, the 2014 limited. I just traded my 2013 six weeks after I got it. Call me crazy or just "Sleez" for short. Curious what people are thinking about this subject.

I too just got rid of my 2013 and ordered a 2014. I got my 13 limiited back in November right before Thanksgiving and just put the 14 order in a week ago.

What made you want to upgrade?

Sleestak 04-12-2013 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by headrushNJ (Post 802276)

I too just got rid of my 2013 and ordered a 2014. I got my 13 limiited back in November right before Thanksgiving and just put the 14 order in a week ago.

What made you want to upgrade?

Exactly what you just said. I wanted to upgrade.

bill_de 04-12-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mreichmann (Post 802270)
Not sure I would agree. I've just come out of a 2012 Benz ML350 into a '14 Summit, and the quality of interior materials as well as switch gear is superior on the Jeep, and not by just a little. The Benz is high quality, but the Summit's level of fit and finish is beyond expectation.

Performance? Only had mine a day, but oh that Hemi! Looking forward to the break-in period to be over.

Also, drove two hours in an ice storm today on highways and secondary country roads. I've never been in a more surefooted vehicle, except maybe the original Toureg.

One final thought. The V8 Summit has real honest-to-god hydrolic power steering instead of the fly-by-wire found on most cars. What a joy.

Michael

I think that's the same on all the Jeep V8's

camtah 04-12-2013 05:42 PM

As an owner of neither of these vehicles, but as one (actually my wife) who is in the market for either of them, I want to weigh in on some items we found in our research and test drives between the X5 and the JGC Summit:

* The X5 Turbo I-6 is every bit as quick and powerful as the hemi we drove. In fact I feel it had more of the throw you back into the seat feel. Even the wife commented on this.

* The JGC Summit has a very nice interior and I like it better than the X5. The X5 is dated and will be updated next year. Yet the control surfaces on the X5 felt "better"

* There is no comparison BMW vs Jeep Dealer..Jeep is a no frills, instant coffee and a stale dougnut while you wait for your courtesy ride to work vs. here, have a nice Latte and a fresh pastry while be bring your courtesy car around front for you.

* I like the JGC ability to go out in to the country, I like the X5 carving up the canyon roads. Two different types of driving (me vs the Mrs)

*Better paint and color selection on the X5. JGC does itself an injustice here because of the lack of color (ext/int) on the flagship Summit. Also there was evidence of orange peel on the dark colored Summit we drove.

*Just found out that the electric rear hatch on the JGC is not height adjustable, but in the X5 you can do it on the fly from the Nav screen settings. Important if you have low hanging garage door openings

*More Jeep dealers across the country vs BMW dealers in case you need that kind of info.

*Maintenance is $$$ on X5..but COVERED under the warranty period. Extended warranty can be had with both.

Other minor differences between the two, but you get the idea. One thing is that the X5 drove better, but thats not to say that the JGC drove poorly. The X5 felt crisp, the JGC felt a tad slugish but sure footed. I like the JGC stance, but not the color selection for the Summit.

So is the X5 worth the price premium? Well that's the precise point we are at in our quest. To be honest, the Jeep dealer experience still felt of old school "what can we do today to get you into this vehicle.." The BMW experience was quite different in that respect. Resale, trade-in or residuals favor the BMW if that is an important factor to you It is a minor one to us as we tend to hang on to vehicles. Again, this was our experience and your mileage may very...

We actually like the Jeep concept and what it is trying to accomplish. Is it there yet? Well it is closing the gap and I am impressed. But it still needs a little more polish on the vehicle and culture change in the dealership if it intends to compete at this level.

jeep2011 04-12-2013 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camtah (Post 802325)

* There is no comparison BMW vs Jeep Dealer..Jeep is a no frills, instant coffee and a stale dougnut while you wait for your courtesy ride to work vs. here, have a nice Latte and a fresh pastry while be bring your courtesy car around front for you.

I second that! When I was looking at a BMW X5 5.0i the dealer told me they would drive to my house (30miles away), drop off a loaner car for me to drive, then bring mine back when the service was complete. Now that is some service!

One thing that has not been touch on is the service its self. Every luxury car I have owned, if I report a problem it is fixed or the part replaced regardless. I can not tell you how many times I go to Jeep and it is "it can not be duplicated" or "that is normal".

I do love my Jeep's, but they still have some work to match other luxury brands.

bill_de 04-12-2013 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeep2011 (Post 802327)
I do love my Jeep's, but they still have some work to match other luxury brands.

Acura, while not a true luxury brand, always had a loaner for me. Even Chevy and Ford, if a car had to stay overnight, had Enterprise bring me a car.

When I dropped my Jeep off to have the shipping damage fixed, they didn't even ask if I needed a ride home.

---

Temerarius 04-12-2013 06:03 PM

I think Jeep is at that great crossroads that Land Rover was at 30-40 years ago.

Do they go Luxury Utility or just go High End Utility?

BMW and Merc have never really been Utility... more Sport and Luxury than anything (Unimog excluded of course).