Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   LT275/65/18 vs P265/60/18 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/lt275-65-18-vs-p265-60-18-a-58316.html)

nautiboy 04-13-2013 10:31 AM

LT275/65/18 vs P265/60/18

Hey, I'm planning on purchasing a 2014 "loaded limited" (including ORA-II) with the diesel (once the ordering lines open up). I'll definitely be replacing the tires straight away, and I'm trying to figure out which ones. I had narrowed it down to the Michelin LTX AT2 and the Goodyear SilentArmors. I think I've settled on the SilentArmors.

Now I'm trying to debate between the LT and the P. In general I prefer an LT tire (it is, after all, a light truck :) ). But the SilentArmors only come in P for the stock size (265/60/18). The closest LT is the 275/65/18. I did a few searches and it seems like at least a few people are running that size and claim no issues. Though no one has mentioned if they have the QuadraLift and whether or not there are issues at any of the QL heights (most problematic would likely be park mode, right?).

What issues might I consider comparing the two sizes/styles? The 275/65 is about 2" greater in diameter so I assume the speedo will be off, and ride height will be about 1" higher, so likely a slight MPG hit but hopefully trivial with the diesel. The LTs seem to be a few pounds heavier, so greater unsprung weight.

Anything else I should be considering and/or thoughts on the matter? Will there likely be a noticeable difference in handling?

For background/usage - it's most likely going to spend most of its life doing normal on-road duty. However I have a need for it to be "relatively rugged/capable" for a number of circumstances. I do emergency/disaster work and sometimes head into rough areas (I also live less than 2 miles from the San Andreas Fault line and also am within a tsunami evacuation zone so there's at least a small chance I may be *in* the emergency/disaster). I occasionally head up to Tahoe for some skiing/snowboarding and of course prefer to do so when lots of snow is falling :). I occasionally need to tow. I often load a lot of heavy gear in the back.

SnoFire 04-13-2013 10:35 AM

I'd say stick with the default size tire so then you don't have to worry about the speedometer being off or if they will rub. I'm swapping out my tires with Michelin MS2 LTX tires.

ms.annthrope 04-25-2013 02:29 PM

Re: LT275/65/18 vs P265/60/18

As you already know, an "LT" designates LIght Truck construction---whether our Grands are light trucks is debatagble and I take the position it's not. Back to the point, P is basically 4 ply rated equivalent. It is also known as B load rated. LT starts at 6 ply equivalent--C load rated, 8 ply rated--D load rated, and 10 ply rated--E load equivalent. D and E are really for 3/4-1 ton trucks. Aside from the letter designation, LT may carry identical side wall and tread plies generally 5 ply on the tread and 2 ply sidewalls), but the general industry standard is LT rated tires use thicker plies and stronger thicker wires making up the belts. It also increases the weight it can carry. It also means each tire is heavier and firmer to support the weight.

SUVs like ours normally need no more than LT-C rated, Anything higher will beat up the suspension and ride like a park bench. As you go up the LT rating, the tires weight increases 5-30 pounds depending on how far you go up nad the construction and tread design. AN increase of 7-8 pouhds oscillating at high speeds is a tremendous amout of inertia that can wear out shocks and joints much faster.

Your fuel mileage will also suffer 1-1.5 mpg--you're increasing the diameter, increasing weight, and changing from highway tread design with less rolling resistence an A/T with greater rolling resistence. Steering response may feel mushier and less reponsive. A slight increas will not affect braking too much and acceleration will be less.

Remember that 1/2 ton trucks all use P rated tires and suffer no adverse affects unless used in really rough trails on a constant basis. IF it's good enough to a 1/2 ton, there will probably be no felt increase in durability to jump ot a C rated LT tire. It's more for looks.

Jeepman3ski 05-02-2013 03:47 PM

I really don't like my SA tires, if you are dealing with any snow stay away. THe performance is junk compared to BFG AT KO. I am going to be doing the BFGs next time around or the General AT2 which are good. The SA haven't been wearing right for me and the sidewall has been breaking down fast. I am running 265/65/18

nautiboy 05-02-2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeepman3ski (Post 816022)
I really don't like my SA tires, if you are dealing with any snow stay away. THe performance is junk compared to BFG AT KO. I am going to be doing the BFGs next time around or the General AT2 which are good. The SA haven't been wearing right for me and the sidewall has been breaking down fast. I am running 265/65/18

That's disappointing to hear. So I guess the "snowflake" certification isn't worth the rubber it's stamped on?

ms.annthrope 05-02-2013 05:45 PM

Unfortunately, Badyear Silent Armors are not high on the off roaders list or even on most folks' all terrain list. Jeep evidently got a good deal on them to supply as OEM and touts the Kevlar sidewalls. I have not seen any validated or even anacdotal evidence that it's all that much better. BFG A/T KO's are good but I have experienced hydroplaning at half tread. One can easily see the interlocking tread design does not allow water to evacuate but in fact locks it in. I also expereinced droning and increasinig roaring as it pulls to a stop on my 2004 4Runner. I have also used two sets of the BFG first generation A/T and went 85,000 miles each with no droning. However, in southern california, I did not have to expreince any real wet weather.

Toyo AT2, Cooper AT3, Bridgestone Revo2, Hankook ATM, Michelin AT2 all have similar designs and very good ratings as all terrains. They all have wide circumferential grooves or "S" grooves to allow fast water evacuation while maintaining good dirt, snow, slop traction AND quiet on road ride.

AAAA 05-02-2013 05:57 PM

I suggest the new Nokian Rotiiva AT an interesting addition to the list. It has snowflake/mountain symbol.

ms.annthrope 05-02-2013 06:14 PM

The snowflake is the RMA (Rubber Manufacturer Association) symbol that it has passesd by 110% certain testing in cold weather; traction in snow and ability to resist hardening in deep freeze. It certainly has much better assurance of snow traction than the over used, useless "M/S" symbol that has no standardized testing or minimum performance. The snowflake does not make any references regarding durability or toughness---so a tire may be decent in snow new but degrade to crap in a short time. Many other tires have proven to be excellent in snow but do not sport the snowflake either so the lacak of snowflake is no indication of its lack of traction.

The main benefit of the snowflake is some states will accept tires with that symbol to substitute for chains. So if you drive to a chain control check point, having such tires will get you through without having to chain up. See your state vehicle code for regulations.

saltriverfolk 08-14-2013 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nautiboy (Post 802811)
Hey, I'm planning on purchasing a 2014 "loaded limited" (including ORA-II) with the diesel (once the ordering lines open up). I'll definitely be replacing the tires straight away, and I'm trying to figure out which ones. I had narrowed it down to the Michelin LTX AT2 and the Goodyear SilentArmors. I think I've settled on the SilentArmors.

Now I'm trying to debate between the LT and the P. In general I prefer an LT tire (it is, after all, a light truck :) ). But the SilentArmors only come in P for the stock size (265/60/18). The closest LT is the 275/65/18. I did a few searches and it seems like at least a few people are running that size and claim no issues. Though no one has mentioned if they have the QuadraLift and whether or not there are issues at any of the QL heights (most problematic would likely be park mode, right?).

What issues might I consider comparing the two sizes/styles? The 275/65 is about 2" greater in diameter so I assume the speedo will be off, and ride height will be about 1" higher, so likely a slight MPG hit but hopefully trivial with the diesel. The LTs seem to be a few pounds heavier, so greater unsprung weight.

Anything else I should be considering and/or thoughts on the matter? Will there likely be a noticeable difference in handling?

For background/usage - it's most likely going to spend most of its life doing normal on-road duty. However I have a need for it to be "relatively rugged/capable" for a number of circumstances. I do emergency/disaster work and sometimes head into rough areas (I also live less than 2 miles from the San Andreas Fault line and also am within a tsunami evacuation zone so there's at least a small chance I may be *in* the emergency/disaster). I occasionally head up to Tahoe for some skiing/snowboarding and of course prefer to do so when lots of snow is falling :). I occasionally need to tow. I often load a lot of heavy gear in the back.

Which size did you end up going with and are you happy with the choice?:confused:

nautiboy 08-14-2013 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saltriverfolk (Post 876120)

Which size did you end up going with and are you happy with the choice?:confused:

I've been stuck waiting for the Diesel so no tires yet. Just went in to pre-release today. Woot!

But I basically ended up deciding to do none of the above. I'm going with a P instead of LT but at the moment I'm leaning away from the SilentArmors based on a variety of comments. Instead I'll probably get the cooper discoverer AT3s.

Baalic 08-14-2013 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nautiboy (Post 876124)
I've been stuck waiting for the Diesel so no tires yet. Just went in to pre-release today. Woot!

But I basically ended up deciding to do none of the above. I'm going with a P instead of LT but at the moment I'm leaning away from the SilentArmors based on a variety of comments. Instead I'll probably get the cooper discoverer AT3s.

I never got to test my SA's in the Snow, but I could tell RIGHT AWAY by looking at them, they are WAY BETTER then any damn Michelin tire that I have used...

I tested them through about 1 1/2 foot of water however, as the highways were flooding in Tennessee like last month on a 4k mile road trip... I will say, they were amazing. Great feel, great control, smooth ride, very very quiet, and I was knocking out 23 mpg in my 2001 4.0....Saddly, those tires were lost when I basically gave the dealership that jeep in the process of getting my new 2014 Overland, so a 50k mile tire lost for nothing :(

I have been going over and over tires for a while, and I have looked at a few 275/65/18's , Nitto, SA's, and those other GY's that look more for off road also in that size..... Originally I was against getting a 275/65/18 as it's so much bigger, but after seeing a customer of mine with his WK2 on that size, and talking with him and he said he has never rubbed "and the tires didn't look like that had been" and he had never been stuck....and well ...it looked SEXY with all that rubber stuffed under it....

He had a 2012 with QL, so I don't see any reason why they wouldn't work on a 2014

My next tire is still either going to be a Nitto, or the GY Silent Armor again...though I'm still on the fence on a 265/65/18 or 275/65/18 ....both should fit just fine

jerkylips 08-15-2013 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nautiboy (Post 876124)

Good choice on the Coopers. Incredible tire. I have them on my Liberty now & could not be happier.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2