Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   Two days in a BMW X5 50i (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/two-days-in-a-bmw-x5-50i-58321.html)

HAMMMERHEAD 04-13-2013 11:16 AM

Two days in a BMW X5 50i

[IMG]http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...11/image-1.jpg[/IMG]

Like the title reads, I just spent a couple of days and 1100 miles in a 2013 X5 50i with the 400 horse and 450 lbs torque twin turbo'd engine. I traded in my moms old 2008 X5 for this one. Since I have been in my '12 SRT, figured you guys might want my slanted view on things :) Lets start out with the bad.
First things first,the friggin voice command trying to make a call is horrendous at best. Now, this system is new to me and there is plenty of room for error on my part, but trying to make a basic phone call from a contact in my phone was damn near impossible. The heads up display was cool, but was almost eye annoying at times late at night. On the upside it showed nav directions along with the cruise control info al projected on the windshield. the heads up can be adjusted in brightness, turned off and placement can be moved around on the windshield.

Speaking of the Nav, it tried its best to keep me off HWY 59 leaving Houston and sending me 100 miles out of my way. I tried most efficient, shortest and fastest routes and it still tried to put me on a backtracking route. I finally changed the setting to an alternate route that was clearly 100 miles shorter and it still tried to send me in a funky path....thank heaven for Iphone guidance.

The seats were very comfortable and had plenty of adjustments and fit my arse a little better than my srt seats, but later I found out they were not quite as comfy when I returned to the Jeep. The steering was very heavy, like most BMW's and took some effort to keep straight on troughed out pieces of HWY. My Jeep hunts a little too on bad roads and basically everything will will big rims and tires, but the steering in the Jeep is not as fatiguing. Well thats all the bad, now the good.

I know the 50i is no X5M, but this is a power underrated sleeper. This rig had an 8 speed tranny and as much as I have balked on the additional gears, you guys with '14 SRTs on order should be thrilled with the additional gearing. I can tell you right now at 70 -80mph this thing would give my can tuned Jeep all it wants. I was shocked on the 75mph speed limited areas of HWY 59 where everyone went 85 and most 90mph. All I can say is this thing pulls HARD at big speeds when passing and I really,really like this setup! Now back to some negatives.

This X5 was equipped pretty heavy, but still lacked a few options the Jeep has, but could be had for additional money. This rig stickered at 73,500 ish and lacked rear heated seats and the ventilated front seats. It also didnt have lane change protection or heated steering wheel. It did have front view cameras and heads up display which were pretty cool. The upscale sound system was pretty tasty, although it lacked the shear decibels of Jeep system, it sounds much better and the dual subs will shake the car next to you.

One thing I noticed is the windshield is pretty straight up and down compared to the steep angle of the Jeep and makes it look a little dated. The body style although not aggressive like the jeep, IMO...is tasteful and fits together well. Having said that, it still has a shoe ish side profile. The new rim style is impressive and massive in person and lets you know this rig is no slacker. The 11 inch wide rim in the rear is huge. Either 9 inch or 10's are on the front. The exhaust note has a nice growl and may be a tad louder than the stock SRT exhaust.

All in all this is a great machine, but lets look at the numbers. my SRT listed around the 63K+ range. I bought it for 61K and the dealer paid my sales tax effectively putting my cost in the $58K range. The X5 listed for 73.5K. It was purchased for 69.5K. Do I think the X5 is worth additional 11K ? Its a tough call. You could spend 8-10K and eventually throw a blower on the SRT and have something that would hard to beat by just about anything short of a supercar. At the same time, this X5 has a refined suspension and smooth ride ride that makes a 1000 mile driving day seem like a happy trip to the liquor store.

A mild tune on the X5 would put it well past even a modified SRT without a doubt. BTW, the X5 turns 1900 rpms at 82 mph and gets 20.2 mpg doing it. ...I couldn't believe that and Im sure it will get a tad better as it breaks in. This is one well rounded SUV and would be hard for me not to give a long look at on my next trade even with the addional 10K + price. Once again, having said that, I like being seen in a Jeep....I like keeping it "real", I also like buying American. I dont know how I would feel about carrying a "BMW" pinache eveywhere I went, but if someone offered a straight trade with my Jeep, Im sorry fellow Jeepers, but I would be all over it. Yes, its that good.

Jeff_Jeske 04-13-2013 05:06 PM

Re: Two days in a BMW X5 50i

I wonder how resale compares. I bought an M3 back in 2009 and kept it for two years. When I sold it I calculated the depreciation to be be $20 per day and that didn't include the tax I paid on the car such as gas guzzler and what not. Oh and I didn't drive that car in the winter!

I'm betting the SRT probably has similar depreciation but I don't think a fully loaded Summit does. I wish they would allow for a 6.4L option on the Summit. It would be great to have the extra umph and off road/all weather capability.

BobsWK2 04-13-2013 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske (Post 803060)
I wonder how resale compares. I bought an M3 back in 2009 and kept it for two years. When I sold it I calculated the depreciation to be be $20 per day and that didn't include the tax I paid on the car such as gas guzzler and what not. Oh and I didn't drive that car in the winter!

I'm betting the SRT probably has similar depreciation but I don't think a fully loaded Summit does. I wish they would allow for a 6.4L option on the Summit. It would be great to have the extra umph and off road/all weather capability.

Everyone seems to think the Euro cars have great resale but in reality they don't. I lost 20G's when I traded in my loaded 2010 M3 Coupe in mint condition with only 9,500 miles for a 2012 Overland. Now if I tried to sell it on my own, if lucky I would have gotten maybe 2-3K more, but when people are buying a used car they want it cheap. I had some offers from folks on a BMW forum for less than trade in.

Tsepz 04-14-2013 09:09 AM

Those Beemers are indeed ridiculously powerful, I drove the X5s younger sibling, the X3 3.5IS also with twin turbo, pushing out 310hp, must say, what a little beast of a thing, and fuel economy was phenomenal compared to my dads 2012 WK2 3.7 Overland, if I'm not mistaken both were similarly priced to, yet the Jeep comes with a whole lot more extras standard.

What makes a major difference though is just how rugged the Jeeps are, you can tell the Jeeps were built to be 4x4s/workhorses, even the SRTs, while the German cars feel more like luxury sports sedans sitting on huge wheels.

Brett2012 04-14-2013 09:45 AM

I started looking closer at alternatives to the SRT Jeep because I may not see mine arrive until next year if I'm lucky. I didn't have to put down a deposit on the SRT because the dealer knows they would have no problem selling it.

Test drove a X5M and can tell you this thing is a beast with 555 HP. It only has a 6 speed tranny but works very well. In sport mode it holds the correct gear nicely coming out of the corners. For a big heavy vehicle it corners great with not much body roll.Brakes are awesome. Has a great exhaust note when you get on it. With it already being turbo charged the power on the X5M could easily be boosted to ridiculous levels.

I always thought the BMW interiors were a little drab and boring but I starting warming up to it. It is getting a little dated as it is nearing the end of the current life cycle.
Heads up display is a nice feature. Seats are comfortable. Has most of the features of the SRT.
I would really miss the remote start. None of the European manufacturers put remote start in their vehicles.

The big negative is the price of the beast. I am not sure I can justify the price. Maybe I should look at the 5.0 model the OP mentions. Still need to drive the Cayenne As well.

Cheers.

mangoe 04-14-2013 10:28 AM

And I am debating in my head if I should buy the MB G63 AMG which cost north of $140,000 Canadian $ or the Jeep SRT when I am ready,already own a 1995 jeep grand Cherokee orvis edition,will give it to a friend,when ready to buy new SUV.

FAUEE 04-14-2013 12:16 PM

Those are definitely nice vehicles, but very, very different. Just like the ML550, they are luxury SUVs that happen to be fast, not the all out performance SUVs that happen to be luxurious like the SRT.

It's sort of a matter of priorities. The Germans have better dealer service, and a lot of them include the service now. They're really nailing their business model down to cater to the 2-3 year lease crowd, since the upkeep is included in them they don't care how much it would cost outside of that timeframe, and they come in and get a brand new one after a few years.

At the end of the day, in the Germans, you're paying for the best of the best. The Jeep represents a tremendous value, despite its now sky high price.

So the better car for each person really depends on what tax bracket you're in.

mrmaker 04-14-2013 05:20 PM

Whaaaaaaaaat the!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..........if i am not mistaken this is a JEEP forum.

mangoe 04-14-2013 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmaker (Post 803655)
Whaaaaaaaaat the!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..........if i am not mistaken this is a JEEP forum.

Most of the people here own a jeep and is considering to buy a foreign import,a lot of poster here also own more than one vehicle domestic and imports.Right now I own a 1995 green grand Cherokee orvis edition,that is my second jeep, first was a inline 6 cylinder red jeep grand Cherokee,for the summer I have a brand new 2011 E 550 MB Cabriolet.

bill_de 04-14-2013 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mangoe (Post 803706)
Most of the people here own a jeep and is considering to buy a foreign import,a lot of poster here also own more than one vehicle domestic and imports.Right now I own a 1995 green grand Cherokee orvis edition,that is my second jeep, first was a inline 6 cylinder red jeep grand Cherokee,for the summer I have a brand new 2011 E 550 MB Cabriolet.

mrmaker isn't wrong. That't why they have;

"Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Off Topic Other Rides"

But I do like the recent thread "Jeep vs BMW"

And as long as we are on the topic, are any BMWs designed for off road?

------------

I always start by clicking on New Posts, so I don't always notice what forum they are actually in.

As long as we are all having fun. :D

Brett2012 04-14-2013 06:53 PM

I really didn't pay attention to which forum it was in. The topic caught my attention.
I am sure a moderator could move it if they chose to.

But it is a comparison against the SRT which I am sure a lot of people are considering.

mrmaker 04-14-2013 07:01 PM

Most people do have more then one car, i even own a 07 Porsche 911 997, that is a $200,000.00 car here in oz, in the second hand market i might add. Unlike Mangoe, i don't have the urge to have to reinstate this in as many threads as i possibly can, who cares what else you own and whether you paid cash or purchased it brand new, who cares.

You cannot compare the SRT because there is nothing to compare it to, it is the quintessential muscle/brute of all SUVs now with class.