Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/)
-   -   Another Cold Air Intake Thread (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/another-cold-air-intake-thread-58330.html)

shizzle24 04-13-2013 01:40 PM

Another Cold Air Intake Thread

Not sure I'm posting this in the right spot so if its wrong mods please move. I have an 07 4.7l Grand Cherokee. After seeing the few options that are out there, I decided to try and make my own. I know the AFE seems to be the preferred but keeps the standard air box. Then there's the K&N kit that has some abrupt 90* bends and a 45* bend. What I did has a single 90* bend thats created by two 45* bends at the same point. I think my intake should have better flow than the K&N kit and eliminates the restrictive bends and air box of the AFE. I haven't been able to drive it just yet since I'm still making brackets, sensor hole, and vacuum tube.

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/s...413_101817.jpg

Does anyone have any reasons why this intake wouldn't perform well? What are your guys' thoughts?

WKYeti 04-13-2013 04:27 PM

Looks pretty clean! What about a heat shield? You can suck all the air you want, but if its hot air from your engine bay, its killing its potential. I once had a homemade intake when I had my WJ, and used a small Rubbermaid trash can and a Dremel to make my heat shield. It worked great, and was soo clean looking that nobody had any idea what it was unless I told them!

dmsfun 04-15-2013 08:45 AM

Re: Another Cold Air Intake Thread

I would estimate a loss of 10-25 peak HP and also a noticable loss in torque with that hot air intake compared to a stock intake (which is a CAI), depending on the ambient temperatures outside. The intake noise will also be amplified greatly in addition to the loss of power. Stick with stock.

brentwoodkris 04-15-2013 01:50 PM

Re: Another Cold Air Intake Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmsfun (Post 804044)
I would estimate a loss of 10-25 peak HP and also a noticable loss in torque with that hot air intake compared to a stock intake (which is a CAI), depending on the ambient temperatures outside. The intake noise will also be amplified greatly in addition to the loss of power. Stick with stock.

I don't know about a 25hp loss, but you'll be likely to have "some" loss of power with that setup. In between the aluminum tube (which is soaking up a crapload of heat) and where your actual filter is pulling air from (blocked behind the headlight and basically limited to the hot air stuck under your hood), you're definitely going to have less than optimal performance. Your intake will also coincidentally be loud as hell now.

CAI's are typically designed to be right behind the grill (RAM Air type) for direct access to cold air flow while moving, or standard CAI type where the filter and/or air inlet are located away from right under the hood and pull air from close to the ground or suck from behind the grill (like the OEM box). This at least allows for cold air to be introduced to the system. Also, the OEM tube is thick rubber-type material, which insulates the air from the outside extremely hot under-hood temperature (which your thin aluminum tube will not do at all). I'd recommend going back to your OEM intake.

spatial_k 04-15-2013 06:51 PM

I give you credit for coming up with your own solution. I'd do this more often if I wasn't so lazy. I think you're almost there. You just need to incorporate two essential design elements.
1. Thermo-wrap the tube to combat heat-sink there
2. Create an air dam. Looks like the bottom part of the oe airbox is still in place so maybe some cool air from outside the engine compartment is getting routed to your filter. I would try to fashion an air dam out of the top part of the oe airbox or something else. The point, as stated previously, is that you need to block all that hot engine compartment air. Look at all the systems on the market that attempt this for inspiration. It's just a vertical partition with a gasket at the top to seal against the hood.