Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems Discussion (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/)
-   -   2004 jeep grand cherokee 4.0 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/2004-jeep-grand-cherokee-4-0-a-58343.html)

roadrash88 04-13-2013 08:03 PM

2004 jeep grand cherokee 4.0

My jeep starts trying to die if it idles for about 15 minutes the only I have gotten is for a evaporative emissions leak and and one for a fuel mixture I replaced fuel tank fuel pump and the thermostat any suggestions

Frango100 04-13-2013 08:22 PM

Re: 2004 jeep grand cherokee 4.0

Will it also die when driving, or only when idling? Could you give the exact codes you where getting? Did you change the fuel pump for this problem, or was something else going on? Low fuel pressure can be caused by a faulty/clogged fuel filter/pressure regulator, but fuel pressure related problems will normally give problems during acceleration and higher rpmīs.
A faulty O2 sensor could make the fuel/air ratio too low and the engine will simply die. That could explain that it will run ok for the first 15 minutes (still in open loop mode and not using the O2 sensor(s) for fuel fine tuning) and gets the problem when it has warmed up (now in closed loop mode and using the O2 sensor input for fuel fine tuning).

roadrash88 04-13-2013 08:30 PM

It hasn't thrown any codes since I changed all of this but it only starts acting up at an idle it was doin it while driving but I changed the spark plugs and that cleared up. Now it's just when it idles. I've changed the fuel pump twice the first time the o ring broke and started dumping fuel the second time it started acting like it was sucking air at about a 1/4 of a tank and found a lot of trash in the tank and found that all inserts in the tank were busted so I got a new tank. Then it threw the fuel mixture code I researched and everybody kept saying to change the thermostat. Cuz if it didn't run hot enough it would mess with the air fuel mixture. Good thing because the thermostat was about to come apart.

Frango100 04-13-2013 08:41 PM

So did you change the fuel filter/pressure regulator already? Also a vacuum leak has influence on the idle speed. With the engine cold, the evaporative purge solenoid doesnīt work, but it will after warming up. So when there is a leak in the evaporative system, it could influence the idle when warmed up.

roadrash88 04-14-2013 12:30 AM

No I haven't changed that yet but like you said fuel pressure problem would cause problems more than just when it's idling. It doesn't really have any hesitation in throttle.

roadrash88 04-14-2013 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadrash88 (Post 803267)
No I haven't changed that yet but like you said fuel pressure problem would cause problems more than just when it's idling. It doesn't really have any hesitation in throttle.

And it doesn't just die it just all of sudden starts acting like its running out of fuel

Frango100 04-14-2013 06:53 AM

If there was a lot of debris in the tank, i would change the fuel filter/regulator.
Did you check the evap lines? They tend to give problems on the rubber parts close to the rear axle. They dry out and break.

roadrash88 04-14-2013 12:22 PM

I changed the filter it's part of the fuel pump I changed it when I changed the tank. Where is the regulator located.

Frango100 04-17-2013 09:37 AM

The one at the pump is just an inlet screen, not really a filter. You will find the filter/regulator just in front of the rear axle on the left side. There is a writeup in the DIY section of the WJ regarding the filter/regulator change.

roadrash88 04-24-2013 11:21 AM

I changed the filter/ pressure regulator didn't help but I noticed after I changed it when I had my hands on the fuel lines you can feel the fuel passing through it then it would stop for a little bit then go back to flowing like the fuel pump keeps going off and on

WKYeti 04-24-2013 11:28 AM

Could this be your Idle Air Control valve? You might try unbolting your throttle body and IAC and soaking them in kerosene and taking a toothbrush to them to get them squeeky clean again... Even if this isnt the culprit, its a good practice anyways once and a while on the 4.0s.

roadrash88 04-24-2013 11:36 AM

I guess it could be cuz it doesn't idle back down real quick. If rev it about 2000 rpm and let off it holds there for about a second then it slowly falls