Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Wrong spare tire (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/wrong-spare-tire-58362.html)

rtmst3k 04-14-2013 08:14 AM

Wrong spare tire

Just purchased a 2014 JGC Overland and noticed it has Michelin tires all around. My jeep has Offroad 2 pkg and is trail rated but the tires don't seem to be "trail ready"

Even stranger, there is a Kumho spare tire (probably cheaper than the Michelin) and while its still an 18 inch tire, it's a different size (60 vs 65) -- this doesn't seem right

Randy

2012 Summit 04-14-2013 08:31 AM

Re: Wrong spare tire

Unfortunately, that's what they give you.

xJoshxx 04-14-2013 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtmst3k (Post 803348)
Just purchased a 2014 JGC Overland and noticed it has Michelin tires all around. My jeep has Offroad 2 pkg and is trail rated but the tires don't seem to be "trail ready"

Even stranger, there is a Kumho spare tire (probably cheaper than the Michelin) and while its still an 18 inch tire, it's a different size (60 vs 65) -- this doesn't seem right

Randy

It's the same size Diameter tire tho.

bill_de 04-14-2013 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtmst3k (Post 803348)

Randy

Only some bean counter at Jeep would consider those tires on/off road ready. Michelin says they were designed for smooth, highway ride.

It seems to be a scam that Jeep has been perpetuating for some time. My complaint to Jeep went unanswered. I asked Milous if he knew someone I could contact that might actually look into it. I got no response, so I guess he doesn't know anybody willing to stand up to the head honchos. All it should take is someone to look at the Michelin website, and look at why Jeep would be using the same tires on their non trail rated vehicles, and probably even the 2 wheel drive versions.

The only trail these might be rated for is I95. :mad:

---

padgett 04-14-2013 09:19 AM

You get that same Kumho "full sized" spare regardless of the tire size, 17, 18, or 20 - it matches the load and diameter of all.

Personally, I'd rather have a space saver and be able to have more room in the spare compartment.

GMWK2 04-14-2013 05:23 PM

Quote:

it matches the load and diameter of all
Hmm - not so sure.

The steel spare in mine had a big sticker on it - "max 120km/h".

I have now got a full size spare alloy and tyre.

loveracing1988 04-14-2013 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMWK2 (Post 803656)
Hmm - not so sure.

The steel spare in mine had a big sticker on it - "max 120km/h".

I have now got a full size spare alloy and tyre.

Possibly the Austrailian versions don't get a full sized spare? The one on my wifes doesn't have a max speed anywhere.

All Grand Cherokees come with what jeep calls on/off road tires, the only difference is the off road groups come with a outlined white letter tire, which apparently makes all the difference off road.

bill_de 04-14-2013 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loveracing1988 (Post 803741)

... the only difference is the off road groups come with a outlined white letter tire, which apparently makes all the difference off road.

They don't even do that anymore, not that it would help. :lol:

loveracing1988 04-14-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 803745)
They don't even do that anymore, not that it would help. :lol:

Maybe if you take a white paint pen you could add it and then the tires would be true on/off road tires again!

kkreit01 04-16-2013 09:20 AM

That "On/Off Road tire" option did get you white letters. Everyone know that white letters mean you can go further off road. :) I can't wait until my Michelins will be worrn out. We may have to replace them before next winter.

jacko15 04-16-2013 09:59 AM

Picked up my '14 Overland with the off-road Latitude Tour tires on Saturday. Put LXT M/S2's on it yesterday. Sold the Latitudes this morning.

bill_de 04-16-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkreit01 (Post 804869)
That "On/Off Road tire" option did get you white letters. Everyone know that white letters mean you can go further off road. :) I can't wait until my Michelins will be worrn out. We may have to replace them before next winter.

As posted below ... no longer true.