Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Left tailight problem (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/left-tailight-problem-58380.html)

Megatron 04-14-2013 01:16 PM

Left tailight problem

Hey guys, my cousins wj 2002 has a small problem:

When his headlights are off, both his tail lights work. But when he turns his headlights on, his left tail light doesn't work.

Any solutions? Thank you in advance

Frango100 04-14-2013 05:19 PM

Re: Left tailight problem

Do you really mean the tail lights, or the brake lights? Did he already check the sockets, they are well known to give problems. Bending the small tabs a bit out and/or cleaning the contact surfaces can help.

Megatron 04-14-2013 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frango100 (Post 803654)
Do you really mean the tail lights, or the brake lights? Did he already check the sockets, they are well known to give problems. Bending the small tabs a bit out and/or cleaning the contact surfaces can help.

Thankd frango. Ill forward him this message. And ill keep you updated

cheapjeep 04-14-2013 08:03 PM

90% of the time,Paul ,it's a ground issue. Start by cleaning up the socket and housing contacts and usually you're good to go.Next look at the plug that goes into the housing,they get moisture in them. Weird symptoms like you describe are almost always ground related. Give me a shout if you need some pinouts for the tails.

Megatron 05-10-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheapjeep (Post 803805)
90% of the time,Paul ,it's a ground issue. Start by cleaning up the socket and housing contacts and usually you're good to go.Next look at the plug that goes into the housing,they get moisture in them. Weird symptoms like you describe are almost always ground related. Give me a shout if you need some pinouts for the tails.

Thank you sir. Sorry for the late response. Seems that it's fixed now

wsrivers 06-26-2013 05:40 PM

I'm having the exact same issue with my 2000 GC 4.7. I have also noticed the same issue on everyone that I see on the street, same side too. Not certain what I should be bending but if someone can help me out I'd greatly appreciate it. Otherwise it's off to purchase a replacement. Thanks y'all

Frango100 06-26-2013 05:45 PM

Just take the respective lamp socket out and bend the small copper color tabs a bit out, so that it will make better contact. Sometimes they are just a bit corroded, so clean them as well.

wsrivers 06-26-2013 06:03 PM

Thanks for the quick response. 1st what am I cleaning the tabs with? And then am I bending the copper tab toward the bushing?

wsrivers 06-26-2013 06:46 PM

Frango100 thanks for the assist. Got it working...seems I was bending the wrong tabs but I bent the ones on the light housing and it seems to be working great. Thanks again for the help (now I can drive it at night)

bertkenny 07-06-2013 08:56 PM

Im a newbie from Oz,followed the advice to fix my stoplight LH not working when the taillights were on,worked ok in daytime.Thanks for the fix ,i spent hours trying to work it out myself.Ten minutes following the advice here,Thank You Guys

Frango100 07-06-2013 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bertkenny (Post 853928)
Im a newbie from Oz,followed the advice to fix my stoplight LH not working when the taillights were on,worked ok in daytime.Thanks for the fix ,i spent hours trying to work it out myself.Ten minutes following the advice here,Thank You Guys

Welcome to the garage.
A cheap fix is always a good fix:D.

kennzz05 07-06-2013 10:34 PM

gotta love the forum