Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   2.7 CRD probs (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/2-7-crd-probs-58386.html)

pdiamond1941@gmail.com 04-14-2013 03:53 PM

2.7 CRD probs

Hi All,

New owner of Grand Cherokee 2.7 CRD.2002.70k miles. Intend to sort out minor/medium probs myself.
On reading other threads many probs are common. would someone mind comment on following or give me silver bullet sites for solutions.
1. Cold start. With temps around 0 My good battery needs to be at top charge to start even with 2 or 3 preheats of gloplug. This has meant keeping a charger on at night. - no faults in alternator or batt. A mechanic cleaned injectors 1234 but usual prob of dropping engine to do 5,6. I gather carbon deposits on collar location of heating ring on injectors can cause. For now I am trying a fuel additive (Lucas) to clean.
2. Possibly associated. I have yet to see the running temp above 70C and wonder if inefficient burning of fuel is causing carbon buildup on the injector nozzles. I was about to change the thermostat, but saw others refer to this op.temp as the norm. Odd that temp doesn't reach 90 C with a closed thermostat.
3. Box minor contacts prob. On seeking drive D position I need to click in and out a few times to achive 1. pilot light and 2.a shunt from the drive to be sure engaged, otherwise I can take off and the box won't change up. ATF and filters have been changed.
4. How can you see any warning codes from the OBD without dealer rip off.

Looking forward to shared experience

patrick

DannyVtCa 04-14-2013 10:09 PM

Re: 2.7 CRD probs

I don't think that they even sold those in the US.... Where you located? Diesel engines like to run hot and nasty, so I'd figure that out. If it is running cooler than it should than that very well could cause incomplete combustion. On newer engines it isn't as much of a problem with high pressure direct injectors, but I always noticed on my older tractors from the 70's and 80's would smoke a lot before they were up to operating temp.

DannyVtCa 04-14-2013 10:10 PM

Where you getting your diesel fuel from? Does this station have high turnover rate in its tanks? Always use additive in your fuel, whether Lucas or power service... Etc... Today's diesel fuel has no lubrication with all the sulfur and lead taken out of it.

jjt250 04-14-2013 11:02 PM

You have a WJ. The WK has the 3.0 Mercedes Diesel. You'll get better answers in the WJ section.

Kreso 04-26-2013 08:10 AM

He also have a Mercedes engine. Did you check all injectors. Some of them can leak to the cylinder so you are loosing pressure in CR. In that case PCM will refuse to open injectors and no start is a result. If injectors are bad you can get a new (refurbished) from ebay for a fraction of the original (dealer) price.
Another cause of the cold start problem can be malfunctioning glow plugs. Glow plugs can be tested with ohm meter. If open - no good.
How do you measure the engine temperature. Gauge in the cluster is not precise. On my previous GC (2.7) it never shows more than half scale.