Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio, Video, Navigation & Electronic Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f50/)
-   -   fiberglass enclosure (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f50/fiberglass-enclosure-5841.html)

Motteler621 01-23-2010 09:02 PM

fiberglass enclosure

I think I am going to try to build a fiberglass enclosure. All of the hardware stores around me only sell fiberglass cloth. I see most of you guys have used fiberglass mat. What do you guys suggest I use?

Matt 01-23-2010 09:23 PM

Re: fiberglass enclosure

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motteler621 (Post 137372)
I think I am going to try to build a fiberglass enclosure. All of the hardware stores around me only sell fiberglass cloth. I see most of you guys have used fiberglass mat. What do you guys suggest I use?

www.uscomposites.com

Please do not buy your resin from a local hardware store; it's junk!

• Get a gallon of the 440 polyester resin (comes with enough MEKP)
  • A few yards of 3/4oz chopped strand mat
  • A few yards of Knytex 1708 biaxial cloth (hybrid mat/cloth)
  • If you don't have one, a respirator
  • Brushes
  • Around 10 of the 16oz graduated cylinders

Motteler621 01-23-2010 09:35 PM

ok thanks alot matt, that really helps. A few questions though, So you used the Knytex 1708 biaxial cloth (hybrid mat/cloth) just for the bottom layer and it only took one layer and the chopped matt for the sides and top, around 4 layers? and why 10 graduated cylinders? thanks again

Motteler621 01-23-2010 09:41 PM

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...ill/003-36.jpgbtw. Im going off this design, so where could I use the biaxial cloth and then the chopped mat?

Matt 01-23-2010 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motteler621 (Post 137388)
ok thanks alot matt, that really helps. A few questions though, So you used the Knytex 1708 biaxial cloth (hybrid mat/cloth) just for the bottom layer and it only took one layer and the chopped matt for the sides and top, around 4 layers? and why 10 graduated cylinders? thanks again

The 3/4oz chopped mat is needed for the vertical build-up. I found it best to get an entire initial layer or two of 3/4oz mat - it's really thin. After that, begin using the 1708.

You'll have to pre-cut the 1708 to fit the specific area you want to lay. The mat you will rip, by hand, into palm size pieces.

The 1708 is a 17oz hybrid glass - it's a mat on one side, woven into a cloth on the other side. It's great for a fast build up and is extremely strong.

If there aren't any large flat areas, a few layers of chopped mat and a few (2-3) layers of 1708 will be plenty.

You'll need the large amount of graduated cylinders because after 1-3 batches of resin + MEKP the mixing cylinder is no longer usable. I mixed 4oz of resin at a time. Remember, once the MEKP is added, you'll have about 10 minutes to lay the glass (before it hardens). The cheaper resins is a lot less than that.

Lots of brushes as well. They don't last too long (1-2 batches). The brushes and cylinders are like $.60 each (or less) from US Composites, so better get more than enough, than not enough.

Matt 01-23-2010 09:56 PM

Oh, as Will did, use as much wood as you can. All of the flat surfaces should be constructed of wood (3/4" MDF).

Motteler621 01-23-2010 10:10 PM

ok sounds good. I am going to be using the one 12" jl audio w3v3 sub I have. It has this for specs

<top-mount depth: 6-5/8"
sealed box volume: 1.25 cubic feet

I know this is a tricky question but, how far out should I put the ring, or depth I should say with that design since the wheel hub is not flat so that im at 1.25 cubit feet.

Matt 01-23-2010 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motteler621 (Post 137400)
ok sounds good. I am going to be using the one 12" jl audio w3v3 sub I have. It has this for specs

<top-mount depth: 6-5/8"
sealed box volume: 1.25 cubic feet

I know this is a tricky question but, how far out should I put the ring, or depth I should say with that design since the wheel hub is not flat so that im at 1.25 cubit feet.

It's just a guessing game. I build up a mock enclosure using cardboard - and then filled it with packing peanuts to gauge how much space I was working with. Remember, you have to account for the displacement of the woofer magnet/frame. You should familiarize yourself with how much space 1.25 cubic feet is (looks like), and go from there.

If you need 1.25 ft^3, you are probably not going to get a nice, sleek looking shape. If you check out the enclosure I made (build log II), you can see how big that enclosure is, and it's not 1.25... maybe a cube.

Motteler621 01-23-2010 10:20 PM

hmm ok, il try to make something out of cardboard. I have a enclosure that is 1.25 so I will just see if it will take the same amount of packing peanuts or close to it.

Motteler621 01-24-2010 12:10 AM

well im going to remove the factory cd changer thats in there, my alpine head unit cant use it anyway. It opens up alot more space for a enclosure and provides more mounting screws.
http://www.wjjeeps.com/radio_cdch9.jpg

what is use to look like with cd changer there (on right) and I think he has a capacitor there too. Think Il have enough room now Matt, to come close to 1.25 with cd changer removed?

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...ill/001-50.jpg

JETLIFE 01-24-2010 12:17 AM

Look's really good man!

Motteler621 01-24-2010 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .moneen. (Post 137443)
Look's really good man!

Those arent my pics just showing examples. thanks though