Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Ambient lighting? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/ambient-lighting-58413.html)

nautiboy 04-15-2013 12:37 AM

Ambient lighting?

Can anybody help me understand what the "ambient lighting" on the '14 Overland is? It's one of the differences between a "loaded Limited" and an Overland, but I can't seem to figure out what it actually is. Two dealerships and 5 salesmen haven't been able to figure it out either.

Oh, and the "puddle lamps" are the lights underneath the side mirrors, right?

It also took a little while to figure out what that little strap in the rear-seat armrest was for. My girlfriend pointed it out and said "what's this for?" I couldn't answer it, nor could 3 different salesmen. I couldn't even find mention of it in the 2014 User's Guide after we got home, but I finally found it in the 2014 Owner's Manual (so cool that these are available for download!). It can be used to keep the armrest from accidentally coming down if you have a rear-facing child seat in the center seat. Kinda nice, but I *never* would've figured that out without reading the manual.

SnoFire 04-15-2013 05:35 AM

Ambient lighting is just a little bit of lighting in the back seat feet area. I've heard it isn't very bright. The puddle lights are on the bottom of the mirrors.

overlands 04-17-2013 11:08 PM

Re: Ambient lighting?

From what I can tell in our new 2014 Overland, there also is a bit of ambient lighting in each of the doors -- i.e., shooting down into the storage areas of each door (including the auxiliary cupholders). It's a subtle blueish color (presumably LED), and looks quite nice.

I own a 2012 Audi A6 prestige, and it has similar ambient lighting throughout the car.

Nice touch on the Jeep.

Btw, those puddle lights on the mirrors are VERY bright, and do a great job illuminating the area immediately surrounding the doors (even better than on my Audi).

Copefree 04-18-2013 12:42 AM

Yea the puddle lamps are cool LEDs under the mirrors. As far as the interior ambient lighting goes, the door latches to exit the vehicle at all four doors (a cool bluish color) are lit and there is a small bit of light that comes down from the sunroof control area as well to accent the front cabin. I'm sure there's more but I'm too lazy to walk down to the garage and go check right now :).

If you're really interested, let me know and I'll take some photos.

kennzz05 04-18-2013 03:11 AM

supposed to be around the cupholders too isnt it

paui4m 04-18-2013 06:45 AM

Looking at Jeep's site, I'm not sure it's clear. Did they take the ambient lighting away from the Limited all together? or it's just added to the rear on the Overland?

etennyson 04-18-2013 06:55 AM

I have it on my GC:
-around cup holders
-directional light on shifter
-lower door panels
-around door handles

I'll have a look tonight...,can't remember the other locations. Everyone notices it though! It's a cool feature.