Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Pulling to the Left and other 2014 Summit Bugs (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/pulling-to-the-left-and-other-2014-summit-bugs-58423.html)

ZeidlerN 04-15-2013 08:05 AM

Pulling to the Left and other 2014 Summit Bugs

So I'm slowly getting all the bugs worked out in the 2014 Summit. I'm going to take it in today for what I hope are the last 2 things. The wood part of the steering wheel does want to heat up, I remember from my test rides that, that part was heated so going to have the dealer take a look. That should be simple enough, hopefully it's just something unplugged and they won't have to replace the entire thing.

What is really bothering me is a pull to the left, most noticable over 45-50mph. I did have them do an alignment last week when I had them fixing other parts. It was slightly off, and they said they made some adjustments. The problem is still there. Most of the chrome rims have 2 weights welded to them, the front left one has about 10. Could this be caused by a balance problem? I'll ask the dealer, but thought I would throw it out here.

They claim that once they do the alignment, it must just be something wrong with the tires themselves and Chrysler doesn't do the warrenty work on those, you have to go to the Goodyear place. Which seems like a pain to me. $54,000 car, I kinda just want to be able to take it in there and they "take care of me".

So my questions are:

1) Should the wood part of the wheel heat up on the summit?
2) Is that type of weighting difference between tires common? Should I be asking for a different rim?
3) Is it normal for them not to take care of the tires and you have to go somewhere else to get them looked at?
4) I've never had a new car before, always got 2 year old cars. The engine area still has what I would call a dry burning'ish smell, but that might not be an acurate discription. Is that normal?

Uconnect still likes to change settings on me at random, esically the display settings of Day, Night. Auto. I figure an update will come for that so nothing I can do about it now.

f1anatic 04-15-2013 09:01 AM

Re: Pulling to the Left and other 2014 Summit Bugs

I am not sure why and I may be wrong but most people complaining of problems have the SUMMIT trim. Good luck.

Burrogs 04-15-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeidlerN (Post 804030)
So I'm slowly getting all the bugs worked out in the 2014 Summit. I'm going to take it in today for what I hope are the last 2 things. The wood part of the steering wheel does want to heat up, I remember from my test rides that, that part was heated so going to have the dealer take a look. That should be simple enough, hopefully it's just something unplugged and they won't have to replace the entire thing.

What is really bothering me is a pull to the left, most noticable over 45-50mph. I did have them do an alignment last week when I had them fixing other parts. It was slightly off, and they said they made some adjustments. The problem is still there. Most of the chrome rims have 2 weights welded to them, the front left one has about 10. Could this be caused by a balance problem? I'll ask the dealer, but thought I would throw it out here.

They claim that once they do the alignment, it must just be something wrong with the tires themselves and Chrysler doesn't do the warrenty work on those, you have to go to the Goodyear place. Which seems like a pain to me. $54,000 car, I kinda just want to be able to take it in there and they "take care of me".

So my questions are:

1) Should the wood part of the wheel heat up on the summit?
2) Is that type of weighting difference between tires common? Should I be asking for a different rim?
3) Is it normal for them not to take care of the tires and you have to go somewhere else to get them looked at?
4) I've never had a new car before, always got 2 year old cars. The engine area still has what I would call a dry burning'ish smell, but that might not be an acurate discription. Is that normal?

Uconnect still likes to change settings on me at random, esically the display settings of Day, Night. Auto. I figure an update will come for that so nothing I can do about it now.

Sorry I can only answer one of these questions. Yes, the wood part if the steering wheel should heat up.

AAAA 04-15-2013 11:24 AM

2) Yes, especially with 20 inch wheels. The weights are not welded.
3) Doesn't seem right thing to do. My dealer is a Goodyear dealer. Most are. But the tire warranty is a separate form in the glove box!
4) Yes. Will not last long.
Enjoy.

Specx 04-15-2013 12:07 PM

The wood in my Overland heats, so i doubt that's unique only to that model and not the Summit.

Copefree 04-15-2013 12:18 PM

The wood on my '14 Overland heats, too. However, for whatever reason, it seems like the right side of the wood part doesn't heat as much as the middle and left side. :confused:

MD Boy 04-15-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f1anatic (Post 804050)
I am not sure why and I may be wrong but most people complaining of problems have the SUMMIT trim. Good luck.

After reading threads like these, I definitely feel more comfortable with waiting as long as I can before I place my order for my Summit.

Chrysler needs to address these problems before their vehicles are released, especially when they think they can charge a, 'premium' price.

ZeidlerN 04-15-2013 09:40 PM

Little update from today. The dealer rotated the tires, pulls to the right now, just not as much as the left pull. So, not sure what to do next. At 1200 miles, they claim it will wear itself in?

They claim the wood part just heats "real slow" and they compared it to the other ones on the lot and it was the same. I've had it on driving for hours, pretty sure it's not heating up. I guess I'll have to go over and try one of the demo's myself to confirm from another dealer. The leather part of the wheel gets real hot, fast. Maybe I'm feeling the leather part then feeling the wood part and the difference between the two is great enough that I'm thinking it's not heating? Maybe I'm losing my mine.

Copefree 04-15-2013 09:47 PM

Weird. The wood on my '14 Overland heats up pretty dang quick. Like just a minute or two.

Clancy 04-15-2013 10:05 PM

Okay. Too many 2014 problems already? Is it my imagination or am I focusing on too many threads created to address a lot of issues with the redesign?

Making me more comfortable about going to look a two 2013 4X4 Overland Hemi's this week. One advertised at 9.2% below invoice and the other at 12% under. Not in a hurry, so I can wait for the "fix's" if I can't get a 2013 at a good price.

ZeidlerN 04-15-2013 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clancy (Post 804634)
Okay. Too many 2014 problems already? Is it my imagination or am I focusing on too many threads created to address a lot of issues with the redesign?

Making me more comfortable about going to look a two 2013 4X4 Overland Hemi's this week. One advertised at 9.2% below invoice and the other at 12% under. Not in a hurry, so I can wait for the "fix's" if I can't get a 2013 at a good price.

I'm not sure I would use my 2 final glitches as a reason not to get the car. Other than those 2 minor things its an amazing vehicle.

bill_de 04-15-2013 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeidlerN (Post 804609)
Little update from today. The dealer rotated the tires, pulls to the right now, just not as much as the left pull. So, not sure what to do next. At 1200 miles, they claim it will wear itself in?

They claim the wood part just heats "real slow" and they compared it to the other ones on the lot and it was the same. I've had it on driving for hours, pretty sure it's not heating up. I guess I'll have to go over and try one of the demo's myself to confirm from another dealer. The leather part of the wheel gets real hot, fast. Maybe I'm feeling the leather part then feeling the wood part and the difference between the two is great enough that I'm thinking it's not heating? Maybe I'm losing my mine.

Sounds like a bad or broken belt in one of the tires. I've never heard of that getting better. Get to a tire shop that handles the brand and have it changed ... under warranty.