Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/)
-   -   Warning re: Hypertech Interceptor (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/warning-re-hypertech-interceptor-58435.html)

brandon_salem 04-15-2013 11:06 AM

Warning re: Hypertech Interceptor

Today I saw there was an update for the 5.7L Jeep Grand Cherokee Hypertech Interceptor. I go to update the thing and the computer tells me to call Hypertech. I call and they tell me that there are about 1,000 modules that become defective after a period of time. My options are, as told to me by the Hypertech person, are to spend an hour take the thing off and send it in to be fixed or to wait and see if I encounter any other issues. The guy said I could call the person I bought it from, Auto Anything, and request a refund even though its after 30 days. Well, obviously I don't want the product anymore so I call AA and ask for a refund in which I am told "No, can't be done". So I am out $300 and will be replacing this POS with a Diablo Sport through Hemifever tuning.

Buyer beware. It worked great when I first bought it but have noticed it slacking a bit and didn't know if it was broken or I was just used to the increased performance. This is my first experience with tuning and obviously I know this type of stuff happens but am disgruntled with both Hypertech and AA.

bill_de 04-15-2013 01:41 PM

Re: Warning re: Hypertech Interceptor

They offered to fix it. That's what all warranties offer.

If you're out $300, it seems like it's by choice.

---

13ovsummit 04-15-2013 09:17 PM

Yeah - IMO, spend the hour to remove and let them fix it, instead of losing the $300.00 ...

2011hemigc4me 04-15-2013 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandon_salem (Post 804133)
Today I saw there was an update for the 5.7L Jeep Grand Cherokee Hypertech Interceptor. I go to update the thing and the computer tells me to call Hypertech. I call and they tell me that there are about 1,000 modules that become defective after a period of time. My options are, as told to me by the Hypertech person, are to spend an hour take the thing off and send it in to be fixed or to wait and see if I encounter any other issues. The guy said I could call the person I bought it from, Auto Anything, and request a refund even though its after 30 days. Well, obviously I don't want the product anymore so I call AA and ask for a refund in which I am told "No, can't be done". So I am out $300 and will be replacing this POS with a Diablo Sport through Hemifever tuning.

Buyer beware. It worked great when I first bought it but have noticed it slacking a bit and didn't know if it was broken or I was just used to the increased performance. This is my first experience with tuning and obviously I know this type of stuff happens but am disgruntled with both Hypertech and AA.

Curious what were you experiencing? How did you know there was an update?

brandon_salem 04-16-2013 08:02 AM

Their website has a link on the bottom of the Interceptor page. When I first installed the tuner I noticed much better responsiveness but it has been lacking recently so I went to the website to see if there was anything about it.

I may have if fixed but not sure if I will reinstall. Like I said, I may give the DS a try. I just wanted to let people know they may be 1 of the 1000 tuners that may have an issue. I can't in good faith install a product that was once defective on something as important as my car.

BioTech 04-16-2013 09:09 AM

Same issue, I was getting a surge when going into and out of echo mode. Also noticed it did not seem to get the gas millage or performance any longer. I tried to update it and it said to call for a performance replacement. Called hypertech and they wanted me to jump through a bunch of hoops before they decided to have me send it in. The software stated to call tech support for a performance upgrade replacement. Then I called Auto Anything to send it back and they want to charge a %15 restocking fee. What every happened to the 30 days performance guarantee.

11JeepLTD 04-16-2013 08:15 PM

Updating Serial Number 1534063
Contacting update server...
A performance related upgrade is required in order to update this device.
Please contact tech support at 1-800-532-3351 for information about returning your product for this free upgrade.

Got the same message...

11JeepLTD 04-17-2013 03:16 PM

Called the tech guys at hypertech. Looks like all the harnesses have this message when connected for an update. Apparently they had some issues with some harnesses so they are requiring them be sent in. What a PITA! Hypertech said they would cover the shipping, but they want my vin number and I don't know why? Anyways I guess I'll send in the harness and have it replaced. Wishing I went with hemifever at this point..

brandon_salem 04-17-2013 09:25 PM

They said they would cover $10 of my shipping