Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Infinity Reference vs Alpine SPS (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/infinity-reference-vs-alpine-sps-58455.html)

onlyina 04-15-2013 03:02 PM

Infinity Reference vs Alpine SPS
 
Like some other non deep pocketed Laredo E owners I'm looking to upgrade my audio system via a simple speaker swap i.e. NOT getting new head unit, amp, stealth box, dynamat, new wires ect.

Anybody have experience with any of these speaker lines? I'd be getting the matching coaxials for the rears.

Infinity Reference 6030cs vs Alpine SPS-610C vs Polk Audio db6501

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...07DB6501&g=400

Thoughts and opinions other than "bite the built and spend a grand" appreciated! Whats the the stock RES & RBZ head units power rating?

RageOfFury 04-15-2013 05:04 PM

Re: Infinity Reference vs Alpine SPS
 
The Alpine SPS-610C will work in the front. I can guarantee it! They sound very, very good. I've had them for about a year now.

I'll be upgrading to SPR-60C soon, which is Alpine's Type R model. Higher end speaker.

onlyina 04-15-2013 06:50 PM

Re: Infinity Reference vs Alpine SPS
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by RageOfFury (Post 804370)
The Alpine SPS-610C will work in the front. I can guarantee it! They sound very, very good. I've had them for about a year now.

would these be the easiest as they have built in crossovers vs the Infinity or Polks that have externals? Where are the crossovers on the factory six speaker set up?

any idea on the power out put of the factory headunits? i.e. 130 / RBZ?

Thanks!

RageOfFury 04-15-2013 06:59 PM

Re: Infinity Reference vs Alpine SPS
 
The SPS-610C have separate crossovers that you need to mount somewhere and connect. All component systems are that way, some easier then others though.

The factory headunit doesn't output much at all. You'll get better sound quality with the new speakers, but it won't blow you away.

I installed an aftermarket amp, new speakers all around, new headunit. I essentially replaced the pathetic stock 6 speaker system. Now I have a kick-ass audio system.

onlyina 04-15-2013 07:59 PM

Re: Infinity Reference vs Alpine SPS
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by RageOfFury (Post 804454)
The SPS-610C have separate crossovers that you need to mount somewhere and connect. All component systems are that way, some easier then others though.

where did you mount the SPS's crossovers? and where are the stock crossovers?

leks66 04-15-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onlyina (Post 804299)
Like some other non deep pocketed Laredo E owners I'm looking to upgrade my audio system via a simple speaker swap i.e. NOT getting new head unit, amp, stealth box, dynamat, new wires ect.

Anybody have experience with any of these speaker lines? I'd be getting the matching coaxials for the rears.

Infinity Reference 6030cs vs Alpine SPS-610C vs Polk Audio db6501

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...07DB6501&g=400

Thoughts and opinions other than "bite the built and spend a grand" appreciated! Whats the the stock RES & RBZ head units power rating?

I can vouch for the type S's also. Had them in a car I had a long time ago straight off the deck and sounded good. If you can I would save up and go with the type R's though. The whole time I had the S's I wished I just waited...

onlyina 04-15-2013 10:55 PM

Re: Infinity Reference vs Alpine SPS
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by leks66 (Post 804549)
I can vouch for the type S's also. Had them in a car I had a long time ago straight off the deck and sounded good. If you can I would save up and go with the type R's though. The whole time I had the S's I wished I just waited...

will the RES / RBZ units have enough power to drive the R's or is an amp necessary? I don't need to shatter windows

leks66 04-15-2013 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onlyina (Post 804680)

will the RES / RBZ units have enough power to drive the R's or is an amp necessary? I don't need to shatter windows

This is just speculation because I've never tried them with a factory Headunit, but I don't see how they would sound worse then the type S speakers. If you can find them at a big box store like best buy, try them out and if you don't like it just return them. I've seen the type S's there.

Jeep_addicted 04-16-2013 07:57 AM

Re: Infinity Reference vs Alpine SPS
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by onlyina (Post 804299)
Like some other non deep pocketed Laredo E owners I'm looking to upgrade my audio system via a simple speaker swap i.e. NOT getting new head unit, amp, stealth box, dynamat, new wires ect.

Anybody have experience with any of these speaker lines? I'd be getting the matching coaxials for the rears.

Infinity Reference 6030cs vs Alpine SPS-610C vs Polk Audio db6501

Compare: All Car Speakers at Crutchfield.com

Thoughts and opinions other than "bite the built and spend a grand" appreciated! Whats the the stock RES & RBZ head units power rating?


I have had experience with the polk components and powering them with the factory head unit in an VW passat I owned.

I mounted the crossovers behind the door panels, I did some test fitting to make sure nothing interfered.

I used this set up for over a year before I powered the same speakers with an amp and upgraded aftermarket head unit.


I also used a set of low end coaxial infinty speakers in previous grand cherokee we owned.


Based on the specs of these speakers you are comparing I would consider the Polks or the infinity first before I chose the Alpines.

The reason for this is the frequency response on the speakers.

If you will just be upgrading the speakers and keeping the headunit then the polk and infinity hit lower frequencies than the alplnes.


I would go with the alpine I were adding a subwoofer so that I could cover the range that the alpinee don't down on the low end.

mind you now this is only based on the specs you posted since I have never used any alpine speakers.

onlyina 04-16-2013 10:10 AM

Re: Infinity Reference vs Alpine SPS
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeep_addicted (Post 804807)
I also used a set of low end coaxial infinty speakers in previous grand cherokee we owned.

How'd they compare with the polk's? Were they from their Reference line?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeep_addicted (Post 804807)
Based on the specs of these speakers you are comparing I would consider the Polks or the infinity first before I chose the Alpines.

The reason for this is the frequency response on the speakers.

agree with you on this..my concern with the Polks is that they need more power to drive them. How did they perform in your VW?

Can anyone chime in on the power of our stock headunits?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeep_addicted (Post 804807)
If you will just be upgrading the speakers and keeping the headunit then the polk and infinity hit lower frequencies than the alplnes.

I would go with the alpine I were adding a subwoofer so that I could cover the range that the alpinee don't down on the low end.

mind you now this is only based on the specs you posted since I have never used any alpine speakers.

agree with this as well


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community